Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

Post by jaybro »

Yeah I'm not going to argue with u now, it's your time in the sun obviously I didn't give them any chance of progressing to the Quarters and I was wrong !!! As for any other points about individual badsman or bowlers we can leave for another day ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

We've finally reached the end of the group stage...this game was almost always destined to be a dead rubber...and I'm just glad its not our last game of the tourney.

We're now taking on the very best team of the tournament (results/stats wise...on potential I think South Africa are the best team and I think Australia will actually lift the Cup). I really hope we avoid a total drubbing, which is very possible. We have beaten NZ 7 times in a row, but in NZ we have never even competed in a single match.

Realistically, I just hope we can come out of this match with a positive net run rate which at +0.2 means we have to lose by 50 runs or fewer. Really tough ask.

But the fan in me feels that if we bat first and post 300-320, we've got a chance.

Jaybro said at the beginning of this thread that we had an icecube's chance in hell of beating ENG or SL at the world cup. Well we handled ENG, and we could have beaten SL had we played to our potential. But I'll agree with him that to beat NZ, we'll have to play out of our skin and then some. Possible, but almost certainly not gonna happen!

But I know we are *capable* of beating any team in any condition...would be unbelievably awesome if we pulled it off today.

#riseofthetigers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

27-2 after 9.3

Ball swinging like crazy...NZ with 4 slips + gully in an ODI!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Watched a bit of Saumya Sarkar for the first time. Seriously impressed. He has got a very bright future ahead...

I need some elegant left hander to follow in the post Sangakkara and probably post Williams era. This kid might be the one.

grant

Post by grant »

Another ton for Mahmudullah!
We need someone like him in our team too

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Our squad is significantly stronger this time around with zero deadweights on the team - except Mahmudullah and even then he has earned his spot on the team. Most BD fans think this is a very good squad, and I'm in the significant minority who thinks its the best possible squad. Only player I don't like in the squad is Mahmudullah.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:I think the Bangla team has a very well picked 15. I even like Mahmudullah from the time he came into the team. He is like a poor man's Thilan Samaraweera.
Mate, Kriterion, get used to seeing more of him. Felt he had good technique when he made that 90+ score in England. Happy for him for the two hundreds.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

^ I did cover my ass by saying that although I didn't want him in the squad, he earned his spot and wasn't given a free ride. I was not wrong, Mahmudullah has totally transformed his mentality. He always had this ability, he didn't just magically get better 6 months ago. But now he is fearless. Totally back him if he plays this way.

Overall, a tough loss, but I won't hold it against the team...only team to push the table topper...similar to what ZIM might be doing to India today. Gives us great confidence heaading into the QF match against India.

Even our harshest critics have been silenced (even if only until the next BD slump)...but you can sense the team's growing confidence...slumps will be rarer nowadays.

#riseofthetigers

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Chances of beating India Krieton ??

The team has played out of their skins so far especially in their last two games, it's funny how Mahmuduallah has been an average player for so many years and all of a sudden he smashes consecutive 100's against top notch attacks in conditions you would think he would struggle in .....

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:Chances of beating India Krieton ??

The team has played out of their skins so far especially in their last two games, it's funny how Mahmuduallah has been an average player for so many years and all of a sudden he smashes consecutive 100's against top notch attacks in conditions you would think he would struggle in .....
I will say we have a 25% chance of beating India...10% if we bat first, cuz even if we set them a target of 400 - I wouldn't be surprised if Kohli's maiden double ton allowed India to chase that comfortably. If we chase, I'd give us a 30-40% chance...50% plus if we can restrict them to under 320. We have always handled India's attack better than those of the other full members' (Zimbabwe included). Stuart Binny's 6 for 4 from last summer notwithstanding.

So far the team has played up to potential, or close enough to it. You can play out of your skin once, but twice in a row is statistically unlikely. Very rare to get struck by lightening twice. We came into the WC with the youngest side in terms of average age - like every tournament we go into, lol. Taskin, Arafat, Taijul, Soumya all had played 10 or fewer ODIs coming in...so there is room for growth. The core of our side is still in their mid 20s and we hope to get a good decade out of them yet.

In 2007, Anil Kumble had the misfortune of pissing off Mortaza by saying "we'll be tired when we tour BD in May because the World Cup semifinals are just 2 weeks before then" in a matter-of-fact way. Mortaza ended up taking 4-38, and averaged 140 kph in his first spell. You know the rest.

Apparently the same thing has happened this time as well. Mortaza was in the hotel elevator with the India physio who asked someone else "which venue are we set up for for the semis". I hope Mortaza can turn the clock back 8 years once again.

The Indian fans are certainly riled up for the game, a good half dozen just signed up at BanglaCricket and the match thread there has already hit 300 posts with most of it being back and forth [polite] shit-talking between BD and Indian supporters. A sizeable minority of Indian posters have gone on record at ICF and Pakpassion as saying India would be foolish to underestimate BD. BD fans will take that as a mark of progress.