Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Bangladesh WC 2015 Watch

Post by foreignfield »

Let's put the cards on the table gentlemen and name your top ten WC pace attacks (by potential) :D

Which attacks do you rate below BD's, Kriterion? All of Pak, SL, WI, and India?

I can't really join in the discussion because I do not watch too many of those endless ODI series. I only know my top four would be SA/Aus, Eng, NZ, followed by SL, Pak, ...

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

1.RSA
2.Aus
3.Eng
4.NZ
5.WI
6.Ind
7.Pak
8.Sri
9.Zim
10.BD

If all these attacks were playing to full potential this is how I see the ranking going .....

India and West Indies attacks lack so much discipline but you can just see patches of how brilliant they could be .....

I almost put Zim above Sri Lanka but because Zim only selected 3 seamers I left SL ahead, although if KJ and Querl were available for selection they'd be 8th for sure .......

At full potential Rubel could be better than lets say Jerome Taylor IF Taylor was bowling as poorly as he is atm but at his best Taylor is a world class seamer ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

If the ranking is potential-wise, I agree with most ofthe above list except:

Pak would be above WI and India for sure.
IRL and AFG might slide above the last 2-3 teams in the list on their day.
Zim and BD I feel are inseparable because we are one pacer short. If we had the X Factor of Vitori at the very least, I would confidently put us ahead.

So this is my list:

1. RSA
2. Aus
3. Eng
4. NZ
5. Pak
6. WI
7. SL
8. Ind
=9. Zim
=9. BD

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Got to disagree with Jay on almost all points, lol. Where to begin?

WI and India towards the bottom. WI only have Roach, and India only have Bhuvi, Praveen, and Nehra the latter 2 not in the squad. Shami is hit or miss. SL are about right, but if Malinga is in form they jump far ahead. And Jarvis? If he was in the side you'd drop down a spot or two...career econ over 6! Don't know who Querl is but he seems to only play county 2nd XI stuff and has only a decent record there. So assuming the squads picked are at full potential here is my rank:

SA
AUS
NZ (would be stronger if Henry was in place of Mills...home conditions!)
PAK (playing a fast 7 footer will be as easy as shitting out a 5 kg brick)
ENG (forgot they have Finn...see Irfan comments above)
BD (Rubel is my 4th seamer in this attack, management will probably play him ahead of Al Amin)
AFG (inexperience is keeping them behind BD)
SL (if Malinga is on point, if not they will be tied with India and WI)
IND (they will be made to look better than they are by their batters)
WI (otherwise equal to India)
ZIM
UAE
IRE (all depends on Young and Chase, if they struggle the Irish could be at the bottom)
HK

This isnt how I think they will shape up, but how I think they would if everyone played to full potential. I'll have revise BD down to top 6 instead of 5.
Last edited by Kriterion_BD on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

BTW I will try to compile stats for front line seamers using the only 2 criteria that is important, 1) economy and 2) averages and then combine them for a composite score. Economy might get 20% extra weight since this is limited overs and net run rate will factor into QF progression.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Mate Arun and Yadav have the potential to be a devastating new ball attack, they're quick and can move the ball they can get it to or near 150kmp tell one BD bowler who can do any of this apart from an unproven Taskin ???

Don't start with Rubel could be a star crap the guy avergaes 80 something in tests so at best he could maybe average 50 ?? I know his ODI career is better but the bloke is rubbish as a bowler and thats it as far as im concerned. He can't bowl line or length and he isn't quick enough or smart enough to be effective ala Malinga ......

You say Windies only have Roach fair enough he is the only one bowling well in recent times but Dont tell me Taylor on his day isnt better than Mashrafe on his best day ?? If you say Mashrafe you're kidding yourself and Jason Holder has all the hallmarks of being a great fast bowler in my opinion he has way more "POTENTIAL" than any BD seamer .......

I really cant see how you could possibly think BD's seam attack has more potential than India and West Indies and I forgot about about Afghanistan and Ireland which would be very close if not better than BD .......

Honestly the BD seam attack is rubbish potential or not .......

grant

Post by grant »

I can't agree with that list.... BD seamers have improved, but they still have a lot to prove. I would still put WI, Ind and ZIM ahead of them.
WI & Ind mostly play against strong sides, unlike BD & Zim.... That's one of the reasons why their seamers don't have good stats.
Last edited by grant on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Arun and Yadav are they key to India becoming Wrold No.1 again if they can get these guys to harness their talents and be consistent and go for less tahn 4 an over they can win test matches and series in Aus, RSA & Eng their batsman clearly have the talent .....

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:Mate Arun and Yadav have the potential to be a devastating new ball attack, they're quick and can move the ball they can get it to or near 150kmp tell one BD bowler who can do any of this apart from an unproven Taskin ???

Don't start with Rubel could be a star crap the guy avergaes 80 something in tests so at best he could maybe average 50 ?? I know his ODI career is better but the bloke is rubbish as a bowler and thats it as far as im concerned. He can't bowl line or length and he isn't quick enough or smart enough to be effective ala Malinga ......

You say Windies only have Roach fair enough he is the only one bowling well in recent times but Dont tell me Taylor on his day isnt better than Mashrafe on his best day ?? If you say Mashrafe you're kidding yourself and Jason Holder has all the hallmarks of being a great fast bowler in my opinion he has way more "POTENTIAL" than any BD seamer .......

I really cant see how you could possibly think BD's seam attack has more potential than India and West Indies and I forgot about about Afghanistan and Ireland which would be very close if not better than BD .......

Honestly the BD seam attack is rubbish potential or not .......
Bud you've made a few foolish-in-hindsight predictions yourself, and I expressed my doubts, and guess who was right? Let's start with 2 shall we?

1) BD pitches are flat and Zim will draw 0-0 just because they made their flight on time. On a sporting wicket that negated our home field advantage, you nearly pulled of a heist. But on the two flat tracks you guys were beaten by decent margins. Sure you avoided a thrashing in any given game, by a 3-0 scoreline is a thrashing of its own. What you forgot was that batsmen still have score on a flat track.

2) BD spinners are stagnating so no worries for Zim. Then a 19 yo leggie took a fiver and a guy in his 3rd test took video game figures of 8-39. Sure bigger challenges await, but note how green they are.

As far as Mash and Rubel, I'm under no illusions. Mash is 80 mph medium these days, still a solid ODI bowler but exposed in both T20s and tests. I think he'd have made a decent test quick if not for injuries...he did very well on debut as an 18 yo against a strong ZIM team in the Flower bros era. Could have taken 200 wickets at a 37-38 average a la Ishant Sharma. Rubel is atrocious in Tests...Utseya bowling whatever he bowls now is more lethal! But as an ODI bowler Rubel has done fairly well. Can also crank it up to 90 mph when he wants.

As for Yadav and Aaron, sure they have potential, more so Yadav than Aaron. I rate Yadav reasonably highly actually...a poor man's Waqar IMO. But Aaron is all pace IMO. And have you seen his build? He looks less ripped than a Zim seamer. But look at their ODI econ rates...6+ for both. Aaron I think goes at almost 7 an over. They picked Binny over him, and rightly so. I agree they have potential but so did Mohammad Sami. Also Yadav and Aaron are 25+...Taskin is still a teenager.

I'm not making any guarantees, but once the world cup is over, you might be surprised how the final group stage numbers stack up.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Also don't forget in the most recent Test series in Zimbabwe, it was a BD seamer who was the man of the series. In a series featuring Jarvis to boot. It may very well have been a fluke performance, but guess what, if is true, then that 20 run win vs the most flippant side in Intl cricket was an equal fluke. I like to give credit to both, seems your genoroaity may be less even handed. I feel its not prudent to take such shots at our seam attack, if you remember your BD pitches are flat and BD has no spinners prophecies.