BanglaDomestic season

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
cricket_22001

BanglaDomestic season

Post by cricket_22001 »

Obviously overshadowed by the World Cup &, not unusually, missing their internationals, the Bangladesh National Cricket League has finished.

Although I haven't compared seasons, there seems to have been more dominant performances by the batsmen. Although spinners (particularly ex-internationals) still dominated the top of the wicket takers, they seemed to have worked harder for them. Young players such as Liton Das (over 1000 runs), Abdul Mazid, Rony Talukdar, Mosaddek Hossain & Tasamul Haque really made their mark. Other ex-international batsmen thrived as well & historically, career averages are in the 30s.

There was one partnership over 400 runs, 3 over 300 runs, 5 over 200 runs & a heap over 150 runs. There were over 20 innings totals of 400 plus up to & including the highest score of 668 by Barisal.

From what I have read, the National Cricket League has not been regarded highly by the players, in fact, being described as picnic cricket.

So, perhaps a question for Kriterion_BD. Are you aware of any changes made by the Bangladesh Cricket Board to stimulate local cricket? In my opinion, the domestic structure looks healthier when a fare share of batsmen are scoring runs (look at the West Indies season & how deplorable the batting stats are). Of course, it is bad when the pitches are roads offering nothing. But, take the case of Jubair Hossain, a 19 yo leggie who debuted for Bangla A, then played all 3 tests against Zimbabwe. He took 16 wickets at 30. Nothing special. With batsmen spending time at the crease he learns his craft & develops skills to outwit the batter. There are plenty of spinners who are accurate & accumulate impressive stats at domestic level without developing skills to succeed at the highest level.

It seems opportune for Bangladesh to arrange an "A" tour to include some of these higher achievers. It may be slow steps but the future looks ok for Bangla.