BD v PAK

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: BD v PAK

Post by grant »

This Sarkar guy is a real talent.

grant

Post by grant »

Banglawash

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
jaybro wrote:Just watched the highlights off Tamin's innings .....

I still think Ajmal is chucking .......
A lot less than he used to......
Really? Seems more blatant now to me!

Looks like Sunny and Ajmal are having a competition on who can not get caught throwing the longest, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah sunny looks dodgy ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Comprehensive victory agin for BD with young Souya Sarker finally delivering on his promising starts .....

Question for Kriterion how good are BD and how bad is Pakistan ?? What chance are Zimbabwe against Pakistan ??

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:Comprehensive victory agin for BD with young Souya Sarker finally delivering on his promising starts .....

Question for Kriterion how good are BD and how bad is Pakistan ?? What chance are Zimbabwe against Pakistan ??
1) How good is BD? Hmmm...I think we're quite good in our home conditions. Dating back to 2012 our home ODI record against top sides has been as follows: 2-2 (Asia Cup), 3-2 (WI), 3-0 (NZ), 0-3 (SL), 0-3 (Asia Cup), 3-0 (PAK). I left out the 0-2 against India's A team as it was not against a full strength side. So overall we're 11-10. I do think we're a stronger side now than we were in 2012. So my view is, that at home, the only teams that could beat us in an ODI series for the forseeable future are India, Australia, and South Africa. Of course teams like PAK, SL, and ENG could win the odd series, but I'd only rate 3 teams as being clearly better than us on our own turf.

How good are we overseas? I think the World Cup showed how good we can be - granted the pitches were pretty docile as drop in pitches will be. But we did do well on a very nippy surface in NZ against Boult and Southee. That being said, while we'll most likely thrash England in Bangladesh, we will be somewhat worse than them (say 2-3 in a hypothetical 5 match series) in England if Anderson and Broad start swinging the ball. But what Asian side won't?

So overall, I'd say right now, we are probably the ~6th best ODI side going around. Don't see WI, PAK, SL, or ENG being much better than us, if at all.

Like I said in my other thread, I think BD are set for the next decade for the following reasons:

1) perfect blend of experience and youth...even the experienced guys are under 30. young guys seem hungrier for success than previous generations without sacrificing on talent.
2) bowling is still our weakest link, but still quite strong. Everyone knows about our spinners...even a domestic Joe Bloe SLA will at the worst just get the job done in ODIs.Pace-wise, Taskin and Rubel aren't going to be competing with Steyn-Morkel, Starc-Johnson, or Southee-Boult...at least not yet, but they are in that very next tier both in terms of pace and match-winning potential (I had called that shit before the World Cup!). They bowl to get batsman out, which is not something previously associated with Bangladeshi seamers.
3) batting depth. Openers look set...middle order is heavier than a ton of bricks...lower order has both stability and explosiveness in the forms of Nasir and Sabbir.

2) How bad are PAK?

PAK have been a middling ranked side (5/6th) for the past 10 years now. Its nothing new. They just haven't been able to replace the Wasims and Waqars or Inzies and Anwars. Not easy cuz those guys are legends. The idea that the current team is substantially weaker than at any point in the last 10 years is a disservice to how well Bangladesh has played - we annhilated them in all 3 games. Their bowling will always be at least OK. Ajmal is probably done for but its not hard for Asian teams to find quality LOI spinners. Seamers have all looked out of gas, but Wahab looked quite lethal in the World Cup not long ago. Another young quick will be debuting soon, Zia ul Haq...and he might not be the next Wasim or Amir, but his domestic stats read quite well. Plus he's got pedigree just coming from PAK.

PAK's batting is crap, however, and thats where they lose games. They bat like its the 1990s and 240 is a solid total. 300 is a par score on most tracks and PAK just don't have the personnel to do that. Couldn't cross 250 even once on ultra flat Dhaka pitches, and even that would be 70 runs short of par. Rizwan looks pretty good, and didn't see the Aslam highlights yet, but he's been reasonbly rated over at pakpassion. Azhar Ali did well, but the rest of the guys have to show up as well.

3) What are ZIM's chances?

At the World Cup, ZIM had just 3 players of any class (Taylor, Williams, and Chatara). 2 of them will be out, leaving just Willy. Raza and Hammy are both similar in terms of their class: Hammy tends to choke unless playing minnows and Raza gets set and gives it up easier than a slutty cheerleader on prom night. Full strength ZIM (with Chatara) playing at home, I'd back them to maybe win a game and possibly push the opposition a second time. With just Willy, and in SC conditions, it will be tough for ZIM to stay in the game beyond the 30th over, I'm afraid.

Plus PAK will not have any complacency after the current drubbing - if they were going to have any after their poor tour of ZIM in 2013 and then nearly losing in the World Cup.

My advise would be for ZIM to suck it up and throw in any talented youngsters there might be. Its what BD did and it took years to work and is painful but ZIM's seniors are already 30+ most of them and have peaked already without much to show for it.

grant

Post by grant »

Another comprehensive win for BD

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Do the BD batsmen have the temperament to play out a draw?? After all this ODI cricket they've been playing it will be interesting to see ......

A draw against this Pakistani test team was always going to be a good result IMO, with Misbah and Younis in the middle order they're still a strong team ........

grant

Post by grant »

jaybro wrote:A draw against this Pakistani test team was always going to be a good result IMO, with Misbah and Younis in the middle order they're still a strong team ........
True, but I guess I had greater expectations from this BD side and I am certainly disappointed. Last time it was Afghanistan that disappointed me :x

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:Do the BD batsmen have the temperament to play out a draw?? After all this ODI cricket they've been playing it will be interesting to see ......

A draw against this Pakistani test team was always going to be a good result IMO, with Misbah and Younis in the middle order they're still a strong team ........
4th ranked in the world (not sure how that happened, but hey). Bowling lineup was the same that beat AUS and NZ recently. Ajmal dropped cuz a) he chucks even more now and b) he's old as fuck and his career is likely done.