Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by Jemisi »

Overseas the batting and bowling have a long way to go still, but at home that spin attack should make everyone wary, especially the non-subcontinental teams. Aus should even be worried if they ever get around to going. NZ should be worried. WI should lose.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think our batting is maturing, at least the top order. But I think we also had some jitters dating back to the World T20 where we failed to chase 3 runs off the final over with 2 set batsmen at the crease vs India.

Those issues are often like a switch...they go off and on like a light switch because they are transient psychological issues. With this Test win, the biggest win of any in Bangladeshi history to date, I think the switch will have turned off.

If we get a greentop with seam or swing, our batsman will struggle. But we now have the pace attack to hit back with, we didn't have that before. So a New Zealand could post 400 on a greentop and then roll us out for 150 twice and win by an innings. We will push more now with Mustafiz and Taskin taking the red ball.

We won't be winning often, but I don't see why we can't win 1 in every 20 Tests we play in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, or England. I think we are now getting to the point of slowly becoming capable of doing anything Sri Lanka or Pakistan can do.

So far almost all my predictions from the OP have come true and even most BD fans wouldn't have made such optimistic predictions. Of course as an American born kid, I don't just watch cricket, I analyze it and try to figure out which players have talent and which don't. Every now and then I'm wrong, but I feel like when you grow up watching the NBA and NFL as a kid, you get an eye for picking out talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

Amazing..
truly impressed with the way Bangla have shown maturity to win the test...
Hope Zimcan learn a thing or two from them.
P.S. ON forum after nearly 3 years :D

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

btw Congratz Kriterion :)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Great win by Bangladesh. At home they are as good as any Test team now, I think.

It's great that it was England that they put away too.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

A result that will be up there with "We flippin' MURDERED them!" on the England List o' Shame, I reckon. :D

EDIT: Cricinfo win Quote of the Day:
England didn't just lose to Bangladesh. They lost 10 wickets in a session to lose to Bangladesh in a museum-quality display of poor batting that should be hidden from the sick, the elderly, the pregnant or those with heart conditions. It was a Halloween horror so gruesome that Quentin Tarantino would censor it for being gratuitously grim.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Thanks guys!

Maehara...that is a very hilarious quote you've found. There was a surprising number of Barmy Army present at the game...I'd estimate at around 200. With the security issues the official Barmy Army cancelled traveling to BD so I guess the folks who showed up work in Bangladesh. But it was good to see that huge number of westerners still feel safe to go and watch a cricket match in Bangladesh. But they are probably traumatised due to what they just saw!

And BRMT, yes, beating a high profile side like England is awesome and while I fantasized about it, didn't think it would actually happen. We probably could have had Australia last year if they hadn't pulled out. But the good news is the Aussies seem to be impressed with the security arrangements afforded to England (only Morgan and Hales declined to tour) and they will be touring next August tenatively. Unfortunately the rainy season doesn't end until September so that series will most likely be a 0-0 draw, robbing us of a chance to whitewash the Aussies!

JHunter

Post by JHunter »

Congrats to Bangladesh! :D

Well deserved and a long time in coming.

and against England at home in front of the fans must have made it soooo much sweeter. 8-)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Thanks Hunter. Yes, that it came against a major side like England makes it worth even more than if it was some middling side like Sri Lanka or New Zealand, that people would just say "oh they're rebuilding". England, India, Australia will always be imposing sides given the large player base, financial reserves, and volume of cricket they play.

Interesting new revelations about the win vs England...

Its now known that Coach Hathrui was not pleased with the performance at tea on Day 3 when England were 100-0, chasing 273 to win. After the tea break, Tamim took over setting the field and making all the bowling changes. As a result England lost all 10 wickets for just 64 runs inside a single session.

In other news, Mustafizur Rahman, has been selected in the 22 member prelim squad for the NZ tour that starts with the Boxing Day ODI. His return will instantly double our bowling attack's venom.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I know the Bangladeshi squad is in camp in Australia preparing for the NZ tour, but do you have any word when the National Cricket League will resume? It had been postponed due to wet weather.