Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Very important Test series coming up in the next couple of hours. SL have recently whitewashed Pakistan in the UAE and drawn a Test in India, two of the toughest places for visiting teams. They will be boosted by their shock tri series win and the fact that their coach knows us so well. Will be a big test for the BD boys.

Excited to see Mosaddek back...will be the first time Mominul, Musa, and Mushfiq bat together. Counting on them to be the bedrock of the middle order for the next decade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Decent XI picked...only 1 change from my ideal lineup.

Tamim just got out to a good ball from Perera. No hundred in the first session for TIK. Momin in...has struggled vs off spin the past few years...

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Bangladesh have looker aggressive all so far. For Tamim I know that is more or less to be expected but always thought Mominul was more of a defensive style of batsman.

For SL, Lahiru Kumara looks rapid but wayward. When he gets it right Kumara looks threatening, but tends to go for plenty of runs.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Zero76 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 am
Bangladesh have looker aggressive all so far. For Tamim I know that is more or less to be expected but always thought Mominul was more of a defensive style of batsman.

For SL, Lahiru Kumara looks rapid but wayward. When he gets it right Kumara looks threatening, but tends to go for plenty of runs.
Are you Bangladeshi, zero?

But to your points...Tamim and Momin are both what I call "balanced" batsmen in Tests. In other words, they are equally adept at playing defensive, aggressive, or in between based on situation. Based on that designation I would classify our players as such:

Tamim - balanced
Imrul - defensive
Mominul - balanced
Mushfiq - defensive
Shakib . aggressive
Mahmudullah - balanced
Mosaddek - aggressive (based on FC strike rate)
Miraz - balanced

Match summary: this is a very flat pitch. I'd say 450 is a par score here. This wicket is dry so may break up after 3-4 days in the sun. Good toss to win with 3 spinners and two more part timers in the side.

However, if we don't get 400 on this pitch - we may be in trouble. As is, 178-2 now. These two need to bat.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

100 off 97 balls for Mominul Haque
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 am
Are you Bangladeshi, zero?

Nah, born in Zimbabwe but lived in Australia most of my life. Have a friend and club level teammate who is from Bangladesh though, speak to him a bit about Bangladesh cricket.

Thanks for the summary though, was quite helpful
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Interestingly this is Mominul's first hundred in the first innings of a match. he now has at least 1 ton in all 4 innings. Last couple of years Momin has flirted with big scores but just fell away. 66 on a tough pitch vs England, 64 in Wellington, 77 in his first innings in SA...good he finally got one.

Now that Hathu is no longer breathing down his neck, I expect him to be back to his best. Has looked solid so far.

Shocking that Hathu dropped this guy just to make room for hacks like Sabbir and to bat Imrul out of place when he's admitted he can only open. I think we won those 3 Tests, despite his coaching influence, not because of it. But thats been beaten to death already.

250 for 2. Need another 200 more. If we can get 550-600 we may just be able to bat SL out of the game.

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

I don't know what is so special about Herath..As much as I've seen him, he looks so ordinary.

Don't know how Pakistan struggled so much against him.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Possibly the most authoritative day in Bangladesh's test history so far?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 pm
Possibly the most authoritative day in Bangladesh's test history so far?
I think I would rate this just behind day 3 in Wellington last year. Shakib and Mushy had a 350+ partnership scored at 4 an over. Boult, Southee, Wagner, and Santner looked depleted. We threw that draw away - just shows how tough it is to play out 5 full days.