Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am
Is it really a great tournament for BD considering they only won one game? They were beaten fairly comfortably by England considering they made 300+ and were getting pumped by Australia before the rain set in. Of course the win over NZ was special to get through to the semi where they were again convincingly beaten by India. I know the rain played havoc with the tournament, but I think BD have achieved too much over the past 3 years to think winning 1 game at the Champions Trophy is a success ??
Everyone was stoked when England knocked the Aussies out and BD progressed. But the overwhelming mood now is disappointment at the meek surrenders apart from the NZ game. I wouldn't call the tournament a big disappointment or failure (we weren't expected by outsiders to win any games as everyone in our group are more suited to the conditions), but I wouldn't call it a rousing success either.

There are several questions about our ODI side going into the next couple of years.

1) Soumya and Sabbir failed miserably at the top of the order. Both are talented, but need to work on their technique and have glaring temperamental problems.

2) Mustafiz is slightly down on pace (top speed down from 143 to 140, avg from 135 to 131), but more important is that he has sprayed the new ball all over the place. Will he get his pinpoint accuracy back? His cutters were troubling Joe Root, so I won't say he's been found out or that none of the pitches gripped enough even though it may not be like the SC wickets hes used to.

3) we need a wrist spinner

4) and a big hitter like Fakhar or ideally like Pandya

If this questions aren't answered well, we won't be able to crack the top 5 anytime soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

So the Aus series ends as how many had predicted (at least on PakPassion and BanglaCricket forums) in a hard fought draw. Bangladesh has not lost a home series since May 2015, but the next step is to get wins. We have SL at home in January and anything less than a 2-0 there will be a massive failure. My assessment is as follows:

Positives:

1) we dont give up with the ball. we beat england by making them collapse from 100-0 to 164 all out and Australia from 158-2 to 244 all out when both games seemed lost.

2) Mustafiz returned to form. His pace was up, consistnetly around 135 and up to 138 in sweltering heat and humidty, but he was bowling aggressively and getting a hint of reverse and plenty of seam movement. In particular his bouners had Warner in trouble.

Negatives:

1) lack of close catching. soumya took some acrobatic catches at slip...but only because he lacks the natural instinct to have taken them cleanly to begin with. Mominul is a mediocre bat pad, and Imrul Kayes is even worse.

2) Too many left handed batsmen - 5 in a row - which allowed lyon to hit a rhythm very easily.

3) you get the feeling Bangladesh were too cocky before the series, and got lulled even further after just scrapping by in the first game. they seemed lazy and overconfident in Chittagong as if they would win just because they are the home team.

For the SA series, I think the best possible XI will be:

1) Tamim
2) Soumya
3) Mosaddek (if still ill, someone else)
4) Mominul
5) Shakib
6) Mushfiq
7) Nasir or Sabbir
8) Miraz
9) Ibadat
10) Taskin
11) Mustafiz

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Ibadat ??

Who is he Kriterion ??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

What's your thoughts on Sabbir Rahman Kriterion??

From what I can see he has all the tools and ability to bat @3 in all formats, pace nor spin seems to trouble him and his all the shots.

The issue with him at the moment is he can't help but get out playing dumb shots which no matter how good you are will prevent you from being successful.

He needs to learn that he can be 'positive' at the crease without being too aggressive. Ricky Ponting was the best at being positive in defence he would always get on his front foot and push his defensive shots into gaps and as his innings would grow those defensive pushes would turn into drives for 4.

Sabbir seems to be shaping his game similar to Kohli or Maxwell, imo he should be trying to play more like Ponting.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 am
What's your thoughts on Sabbir Rahman Kriterion??

From what I can see he has all the tools and ability to bat @3 in all formats, pace nor spin seems to trouble him and his all the shots.

The issue with him at the moment is he can't help but get out playing dumb shots which no matter how good you are will prevent you from being successful.

He needs to learn that he can be 'positive' at the crease without being too aggressive. Ricky Ponting was the best at being positive in defence he would always get on his front foot and push his defensive shots into gaps and as his innings would grow those defensive pushes would turn into drives for 4.

Sabbir seems to be shaping his game similar to Kohli or Maxwell, imo he should be trying to play more like Ponting.
First question...who is Ibadat?

Ibadat is probably a long shot for selection anytime in the next year or at least for the next couple of series. But then again he's on a BCB High Performance squad tour of England this month in which they'll play 8 games vs County second XIs. It might help put him on the radar for senior selection.

He's a 23 yo quick who happens to hail from the same village as I do (gains extra points from me, lol). He won a pacer hunt competition a couple years ago by clocking a delivery in at 140 kph. Decent height, around 6'1" but remains quite raw as he had never played any FC or List A cricket till last year. He came straight from the Bangladesh Air Force, but now seems to be a full time cricketer as he's touring with the HP team and has made his FC and List A debuts as well. I haven't actually seen the guy bowl, so I can't make a full judgement before I see his action, but he's probably the next seamer in line amongst the uncapped. Mohammad Isam did a little profile on him last year:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... at-hossain

My particular region of Bangladesh, Sylhet, isn't particularily known for making cricketers, but we do have a few up and coming seam bowlers like Ibadat and another kid named Sultan Hossain. In fact, I think 3 of the HP's squads quick bowlers are Sylhetis.

As for Sabbir...I don't really rate him. As a top order batsman. I'm a fan of his in the limited over versions, but even then apart from a single score of 80 in a T20I vs a pretty terrible SL team, he has yet to score a really significant innings. Remember that Match winning Performance thread of mine from a couple of weeks ago? I don't think Sabbir featured in that list at all and he's been a regular in the side for the past 3 years. That kinda speaks volumes. He had a long run at #3 in the ODI side, and I think its time he bats down the order at 6 or 7. As for the Test team, I'm not sure he has either the technique or the temperament to play there at all. But if he has to, I'd have him bat no higher up than 7, and ideally I'd give Nasir Hossain the job ahead of him. Great fielder in the outfield, but we need good bat-pads and slippers.

His style and attitude remind one of Kohli, but he ain't anywhere near as good as Kohli in any format of the game, I'm afraid.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Lots of chaos in the Bangladesh camp.

Biggest news: Shakib is pulling a De Villiers and is opting to sit out of Tests for 6 months. this means he will miss the tour of SA and the home series vs SL in January. will still be available for LOIs.

There is a war going on with regards to Mushfiqur's role in the team. Most fans and the BCB president seem to blame him for the loss against Australia. Mushfiq has countered by shifting blame on his higher ups saying he doesnt call any shots and doesnt himself know what his role in the team is.

Welcome to Pakistan 2.0, lol.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

According to a cricinfo article, the BCB president is also "suggesting" Anamul Haque be considered for the Sth African tour. Not the first time he has offered suggestions.
Sad to think Mushfiqur is copping the blame for the loss. I saw some of the series on TV & he looked the most responsible bat. In the 2nd innings of the 1st test, he was unluckily run out at the bowlers end of a ricochet off Lyon's hand &. In the 2nd innings at Chittagong, the commentators acknowledged how purposeful he was in his innings(very much like Warner was) until a rip snorter from Cummins removed him. He did well to touch the ball. It would've beaten the best. And he still had decent stats. He, potentially, is that middle order bat to average 40-45.
And others should be copping blame if one analyses the shots leading to some of their dismissals.
It seems Mushfiqur would do well to drop the keeping if he is captain. He may have been a bit one dimensional during the Warner-Handscomb partnership. But it doesn't help if there is pressure from outside the team so one's thought processes are clear.
I can't help but think Shakib is sticking it to the authorities. It sounds like the actions of a dude who is cheesed off. And, off topic, I loved Younis Khan's response to the PCB offer to acknowledge his retirement.
Ah, politics!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Can't believe Sakib wants a break from tests !!! C'mon mate you barely play any tests and when you consider how much cricket a player like Kohli or Smith play Sakib has a pretty 'light' schedule.

I understand he bats and bowls but surely if he's so tired he could maybe not bowl in SA?? The pitches won't suit spin there so he won't be required to bowl as much. I actually thought it would be wise for BD to possibly play another batsman instead of Mehedi since they'll need the extra batting and Sakib could do the spin bowling.

BD now need two players to replace him which will hurt the balance of their side, it also sends a bad message to the side IMO it's almost like they're conceding the series before they've even got there.

This will be a very tough tour for BD and they need all their best players available.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, read that news and this is quite ridiculous really, especially when you are touring overseas and have a chance to show that you are one of the better sides not just at home (at least could easily outdo the dismal SL tour of SA). BD are not getting tests overseas at the drop of a hat. He could have chosen to not play some ODIs or T20Is but not playing overseas tests? Senseless. On the other hand, Tamm Iqbal is working hard with a desire to become the best batsman in the world. Good luck to him. Hope he steals the show in SA.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

SA tour squad has got to be the WORST squad I've ever seen. We have at least 4 Maruma/Muzarabani type selections in Imrul, Rubel, Mahmudullah, and you can throw Sabbir into that group as well. I don't know what you see in him, Jaybro...but a top score of 66 from the two formats that really matter is REASON to not select a guy for the top order of a Test squad. There are number 11s who have a higher top score than that.

I would almost be disappointed if this squad won any games in SA because it would cause the braindead selectors to pick most of them again for teh next squad.

As for Shakib, the official reason given was he needed a break. That might be true as he is essentially a lazy player and plays in practically every T20 league around the world. I want to give him the benifit of the doubt, but Shakib has never been a player I went out of my to like mainly due to his ugly batting/bowling technique. The senior players are not happy with the coach, and I would hope Shakib's break is directly tied to that, although I don't see how this will get the coach dismissed any sooner.

But the current selection panel are the dumbest we have seen from BD in a long while, and my gut feeling is they are taking orders from the idiot coach. The selectors weren't making as many stupid mistakes a year or two ago. Mahmudullah was picked over Nasir because of his technique? Well why was he dropped for Nasir in just the last series?