Stanford 20/20

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Stanford 20/20

Post by eugene »

I have been watching the Stanford 20/20 tournament over the last couple of days thanks to free online streaming at ESPN360.com. Any other US-based users should check it out. It is remarkable to see the carnival atmosphere in Antigua compared to the dull, lifeless atmosphere that existed at the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies last year. The crowd were actually allowed on the field at the conclusion of the Dominica v British Virgin Islands match. Perhaps Allen Stanford's expertise should be utilised by the ICC in organising more tournaments? He seems to be involved for the good of cricket as opposed to making money like many in the sub-continent.

Also, I thought it interesting that Stanford 20/20 has been accepted by the ICC and WICB yet the ICL is a virtual pariah with the ICC and BCCI. Double standards and politics at play perhaps.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Stanford 20/20

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:Also, I thought it interesting that Stanford 20/20 has been accepted by the ICC and WICB yet the ICL is a virtual pariah with the ICC and BCCI. Double standards and politics at play perhaps.
The Stanford and the ICL are both technically domestic competitions, so it's up to the national boards whether they recognise them or not - it isn't the ICC's decision. The big difference between the two is that the WICB is essentially broke, and is only too pleased for someone else to be pumping millions into the game - so they welcome Stanford with open arms. At the other end of the scale, the BCCI is probably the richest body in cricket, and the last thing they want is another organisation coming in and taking a cut of that - so they refuse to sanction the ICL. All down to money, pure and simple.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Stanford 20/20

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

eugene wrote:I have been watching the Stanford 20/20 tournament over the last couple of days thanks to free online streaming at ESPN360.com. Any other US-based users should check it out. It is remarkable to see the carnival atmosphere in Antigua compared to the dull, lifeless atmosphere that existed at the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies last year. The crowd were actually allowed on the field at the conclusion of the Dominica v British Virgin Islands match. Perhaps Allen Stanford's expertise should be utilised by the ICC in organising more tournaments? He seems to be involved for the good of cricket as opposed to making money like many in the sub-continent.

Also, I thought it interesting that Stanford 20/20 has been accepted by the ICC and WICB yet the ICL is a virtual pariah with the ICC and BCCI. Double standards and politics at play perhaps.
I bet Stanford isn't charging US$100 entry into the matches. He knows what he's doing, and it's destined to be successful.