Match thread - Takashinga vs Bulawayo Athletic Club - Final

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Match thread - Takashinga vs Bulawayo Athletic Club - Final

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

National League Final
Takashinga vs Bulawayo Athletic Club

Date: January 19-20, 2008 (2 day match)
Start of play: unknown
Venue: Mutare Sports Club, Mutare

Takashinga squad: (from) Shingi Masakadza, Eric Chauluka (c), Tendai Chisoro, Douglas Hondo, Stewart Matsika, Tendai Machiri, Taurai Muzarabani, Brian Sanyika, Sammy Mwakayeni, Trevor Garwe, Alaster Maregwede, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Johnson Marumisa, Brian Sanyika, Philemon Kadzitye, Forster Mutizwa

Bulawayo Athletic Club squad: (incomplete) Matthew Williams, Tafadzwa Ngulube, John Nyumbu, Freedom Takarusenga, Tinashe Hove, Bonaparte Mujuru, Tafadzwa Madhiri, Mbekezeli Mabuza, Brian Mukondiwa

Injury concerns: unknown

This should prove to be a fantastic match. Takashinga are severely weakened without the national league players, while BAC are largely unaffected. Apparently last years National League final was the most widely attended domestic match for the last 5 years or so, and ZC predict a good turn out in Mutare too. The players to look out for are batsmen Chauluka, Maregwede and Williams, bowlers Garwe and Kamungozi and allrounder Freedom Takarusenga, who said he has been preparing for this game since last month.

If I had to put my money on one team, I'd go with BAC. They have been very consistent all season, and have a lot of talent coming through the ranks - Hove and Mujuru have both played for Zimbabwe A. Takashinga might struggle without their international stars.

iwantmore

Re: Match thread - Takashinga vs Bulawayo Athletic Club - Final

Post by iwantmore »

Just checking, Matthew Williams is the younger brother of Sean yeah?

I hope he is as talented.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

iwantmore wrote:Just checking, Matthew Williams is the younger brother of Sean yeah?

I hope he is as talented.
Yeah he is. He made 30 or 40 on his First Class debut - as a 16 year old at that. Definitely got potential.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

National League Final
Takashinga vs Bulawayo Athletic Club
Tak (338, Mwakayeni 135, Marumisa 65, Takarusenga 4/35) def. BAC (6/276, Takarusenga 95, Mujuru 67, Mwakayeni 2/37)
Rain played a pretty big part in this match. I would say BAC would definitely have got over the line without the interference of the weather.

I think Takarusenga should get a call-up to the Zimbabwe Provinces side pretty soon - that is a great all round performance in the pressure situation of a final, and he has been very consistent all season. I would be very surprised if he didn't get man of the match for a 4-fer and a 95.

Hard to believe that's the end of another National League season.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Hard to believe that's the end of another National League season.
Indeed. Now if ZC would just announce the Faithwear and Logan Cup fixtures for the season, we'd be flying. I note that Chingoka mentions the possibility of including Kenya and Namibia again, in his latest CricInfo interview...

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

maehara wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Hard to believe that's the end of another National League season.
Indeed. Now if ZC would just announce the Faithwear and Logan Cup fixtures for the season, we'd be flying. I note that Chingoka mentions the possibility of including Kenya and Namibia again, in his latest CricInfo interview...

It would be tastier if they include Uganda or Tanzania to the party as well.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

That should be a whole separate tournament. This time around, maybe just keep the Logan Cup to the 5 provincial teams and then follow it up with a different First Class tournament including Zimbabwe Select (maybe like a 3rd eleven), Kenya Select (their 2nd eleven), Namibia Select (their 1st eleven plus a couple of new players), Uganda, Tanzania.

farhan

Post by farhan »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:That should be a whole separate tournament. This time around, maybe just keep the Logan Cup to the 5 provincial teams and then follow it up with a different First Class tournament including Zimbabwe Select (maybe like a 3rd eleven), Kenya Select (their 2nd eleven), Namibia Select (their 1st eleven plus a couple of new players), Uganda, Tanzania.
well dont think so many african teams playing in zim domestic competetion who will afford for tounrnament charges, and other difficulties.i think such kind of tounrmaent be responsablity of african cricket asssocatiaon if they somehow can afford it not zc.well including one team like kenya or namibia be good for increasing standard of cricket.its zim domestic competetion so as many zim teams n players can get chnace that be good for them.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

farhan wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:That should be a whole separate tournament. This time around, maybe just keep the Logan Cup to the 5 provincial teams and then follow it up with a different First Class tournament including Zimbabwe Select (maybe like a 3rd eleven), Kenya Select (their 2nd eleven), Namibia Select (their 1st eleven plus a couple of new players), Uganda, Tanzania.
well dont think so many african teams playing in zim domestic competetion who will afford for tounrnament charges, and other difficulties.i think such kind of tounrmaent be responsablity of african cricket asssocatiaon if they somehow can afford it not zc.well including one team like kenya or namibia be good for increasing standard of cricket.its zim domestic competetion so as many zim teams n players can get chnace that be good for them.
I agree, that's why I think the Logan Cup should be purely domestic this year. This is no harm in holding a second tournament as well though, perhaps fully or partially funded by the ACA.

Doesn't necessarily have to be held in Zimbabwe either. Nairobi would be a suitable venue (when there is a bit more calm).

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Interesting to see the name of Doug Hondo in the Takashinga squad.

Have not heard anything of him over here since the 'dreadlock' affair. Is he now back playing and is there any possibility of him getting back into the reckoning for the senior squads ?