Series Thread: Logan Cup 'B' Division

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Series Thread: Logan Cup 'B' Division

Post by maehara »

Logan Cup 'B' Division kicks off on Wednesday, with a new format for this year. The sides are drawn from the existing 10 provinces as follows:
Red: Mashonaland Central, Mashonaland East, Manicaland and Harare Metropolitan
Green: Midlands, Mashonaland West and Masvingo
Gold: Matabeleland North, Matabeleland South and Bulawayo Metropolitan

Fixtures

Code: Select all

9-11 April 2008         Green v Red                     Zimbabwe Cricket Academy, Harare
13-15 April 2008        Green v Gold                    Zimbabwe Cricket Academy, Harare
17-19 April 2008        Gold v Red                      Zimbabwe Cricket Academy, Harare
Squads
Green: Tom Adam, George Banda, Tinashe Chaeruka, Maxine Chamburuka, Steven Chimhamiwa, Pepukai Chisaka, Tendai Chitongo, Ronnie Makohwera, Arnold Marambo, Alex Mavhiko, Shepard Muradza, Richard Muzhange, Glynn Nyamauta and Elvis Vheremu.
Gold: Lloyd Chikari, Atish Chouhan, Vincent Dururu, Dennis Gunda, Brian Hubbard, Paul Kasonde, Washington Kuripa, Taurai Madhiri, Dumisani Makunzini, Mike Mhlanga, Kendrick Moyo, Sydwell Ndlovu, Tafadzwa Ngulube and Khawulani Ntuli.
Red: Tonderai Bwana, Peter Fani, Clayton Gova, Douglas Jumbe, Benjamin Katsande, Panashe Malianga, Tendayi Matemayi, Samuel Mhone, Sadon Mukumira, Tendai Shereni, Clement Rizhibowa, Basail Sanilac, Willard Stenala and Donald Tiripano.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Series Thread: Logan Cup 'B' Division

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It's great news that 3 teams are fielded, I think I made a post a few weeks ago suggesting such a structure. However, I think this should be done in the Logan Cup too (say, Westerns, Centrals and Easterns) to increase standards. There are not enough good players for 5 teams, let alone 5 equal teams... but 3 could work. Each team would have about 5 national team players, a couple of A team players, and the rest of the squad would be the top provincial players.

It would make those top domestic players better overall, and perhaps good enough to allow a 4th team to be added in the coming years, and then a 5th. At the moment, there are some players making up the numbers for the lower ranked provinces who would seriously struggle to get a club game in any other country.

Players to watch in this tournament: Adam Tom, the former Zimbabwe A batsman (this was at a time when stocks were at rock bottom, but nonetheless he made the squad), Khawulani Ntuli, the Westerns fast bowler (all eyes have been on him for a few months as he is supposedly one of the country's fastest bowlers), Tafadzwa Ngulube, apparently a freakishly talented wicket keeper, and Kendrick Moyo, a BAC offspinner if I recall correctly.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Play got underway today as planned, despite the naysaying at CricInfo.

Red 288 (Tiripano 87, Matigonda 2/35), Green 2/0.
ZC match report.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Close of Day Two:
Reds – 288 (Tiripano 87, Sanyika 41, Bwana 33; Matigonda 2/35, Nyamayauta 2/43)
Greens – 99 (Tiripano 5/25) & 89/5 (following on)

aydee

Post by aydee »

I can't say that I've ever really heard of any of the players doing well in this game. I can't imagine that the standard is all that high, but at least the matches are happening, and more players are getting valuable experience of the longer format of the game.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

There's no big name players in the tournament. Probably Khawulani Ntuli is the only name any of us would instantly recognise (from the discussions about fast bowling a few months ago).

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Golds v Greens
Zimbabwe Cricket Academy, 13-15 April 2008

Greens 214 (Tom 71, Takurasenga 5/17) & 48/6 (Muradza 20, Takarusenga 4/13)
Golds 64 & 196 (following on; Madhiri 97*, Matigonda 4/25)
Greens win by 4 wickets

Golds go on to meet Reds in the final match starting Thursday (17th), but with Reds having hammered Greens in the first match they're pretty much certain to pick up the title regardless of the result. Good bowling figures here by Freedom Takurasenga, he may become one to watch...

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Final result:
Golds 102 (Takurasenga 29, Bwanya 5/23) & 58
Reds 49 (Ntuli 6/21) & 111 (Rizhibowa 29, Takurasenga 6/36)
Match tied.

Title goes to Reds, courtesy of their earlier innings win over Greens, and another good outing by Freedom Takurasenga.

aydee

Post by aydee »

maehara wrote:Final result:
Golds 102 (Takurasenga 29, Bwanya 5/23) & 58
Reds 49 (Ntuli 6/21) & 111 (Rizhibowa 29, Takurasenga 6/36)
Match tied.

Title goes to Reds, courtesy of their earlier innings win over Greens, and another good outing by Freedom Takurasenga.
I'm surprised he's not in one of the full provincial sides. He's played really well in this tournament and in the National League.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

So much about that..
When is the strike going to end