Hilton Cartwright to make Test Debut for Australia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Hilton Cartwright to make Test Debut for Australia

Post by jaybro »

So not a bad debut for Hilton Cartwright he scored 37 runs in his only innings but barely bowled and got hit in the jats crackers fielding close in .....

I think everyone was surprised he was picked as an all rounder due to his bowling not being that strong, but even more surprising he barely got bowled so I ask the question. Why was he picked ? Surely he's not the best No.6 in Australia ?

Either way good luck to him but I'll be surprised if he goes to India .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

cricket_22001 wrote:Zimbabwe has always produced talent. And the double tragedy is firstly, they are not performing on the world stage & secondly, they are performing for an adopted country.
If only their administration wasn't such a bunch of self serving thieving bastards.
You right...
That's so true...
In fact you need to be ZC Chairman
:W: :o :ugeek: :W:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So, what exactly was CA's plan with Hilton Cartwright? You would have thought he would be in contention for playing XI in NZ specially with seniors rested, but no, he is not even in the squad. We can't have him too now (not that he would have played for us, but you know...)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Australian selectors often seem to cycle through players with little rhyme or reason, particularly with guys who are allrounders.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

He had good Shield stats, right?

I didn't watch him, but if he's anything like de Grandhomme a T20 slogger with no technique bowling at 125 clicks, then he's lucky to get the cap he got. I don't expect CDG to make it to 10 Tests, but he might forge a decent career in the T20 side for the Blackcaps.

Presumably even making it to Aussie developmental sides is a huge achievement given the huge player pool they have. Plus he did quite well with the bat vs Pakistan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

A decent show with the bat on debut and now not even in the 2 squads of Australia that are in action in parallel - one in India and the other at home vs SL. Pretty baffling how he has been handled. That debut basically snuffed out a very distant chance of him thinking of doing a Mire.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

yes it is unfortunate. sadly this happens to a lot of people in the sporting world. many players don't really sit down and assess their chances before making these decisions. it is definitely a dream to get an Australian test cap but would you sacrifice a decade long career for a few caps. same can be said about de Grandhomme. he was on the sidelines for so long. I would only make that decision if my chances of a long career were really good.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Depends on what he's looking for. He's probably made more money playing domestic/BBL/A team/1 Test match than he would have made in Zimbabwe.
And also, even if he never plays again for Australia he's pretty much guaranteed a significant domestic career in Australia so he's going to play plenty of high quality cricket. Something that Zimbabwe can't guarantee, particularly now we are lumped with Afg and Ire.

L.S

Post by L.S »

Another one lost. We could use De Grandhomme about now.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

He was obviously selected to be the next great trivia question in 10-20 years time. We already know the answer to "How many spinners played for Aussie in the time after Warne retired up until Lyon became first choice"? Or "Name the 3 leg spinners taken by Australia on the 1972/73 tour of the West Indies"? Sam Heazlett will be in the same boat.
To his credit he has moved up to first drop for Wesrern Australia since the Sheffield Shield has resumed. And got a 90 odd. He has seemingly a different attitude to his dropping than Nic Maddinson. Maddinson played in 3 tests, scored less runs & then took a break from the game citing mental health issues. This is not to be taken lightly but if being in the best eleven last test then not being in the touring 16 next up doesn't screw with you, then buggered if I know.
Added to that, his place has gone to Mitchell Marsh, who makes Chigumbura look like the 21st century Sobers. In fact, henceforth, if I ever have the misfortune to post about Mitchell Marsh again, I will refer to him as the Aussie Chigumbura!