Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by Kriterion_BD »

What a devastatingly shitty performance! Totally gutless from the top order!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

On the other hand, how can anyone not love this simple guy Rangana Herath? People were complaining his "defensive" approach even vs Zim about his delay in declaring, and in this match with weather forecasts not being great as well. He just took cricketing decisions that are in his control, leaving out the unknowns like the captains of the previous generation, came out, did the job for his team. Great guy whose cricketing acumen doesn't get much appreciation.

For BD, another unnecessary second innings meltdown. Only Sarkar, Mushy and Tamim can hold their head high I guess - Tamim could have done better in the second dig, and Liton Das fought it out in the second innings, but others really did not turn up. I think time has run out for Mahmudullah in test cricket at least.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mushfiq has been batting at a different level so far this year he averages well over 80 I think and its all been in away Tests in varied conditions from NZ to India and now to SL.

As of right now Mushy is leading the table of run scorers for 2017...wonder how long it will last:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ;type=year

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The upcoming Colombo Test will be our 100th Test match. A mostly forgettable stretch with only the last 25-30 Tests being of good enough quality not to label as a "wash".

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Litton Das injured in the nets means Mushfiqur will be taking the gloves again.

Possible [highly anticipated] debut for Mosaddek Hossain, with Sabbir replacing Mahmudullah and Imrul replacing Mominul Haque.

If so, that means Soumya, Mosaddek, Sabbir, Meheid, Taijul, Taskin, and Mustafiz will be 7 guys with a combined 36 Test caps! Talk about a green side!

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

What has happened to Mominul Haque ? That guy was on fire a few years back ....

I'm surprised they didn't organise the 100tj test to be played in Dhaka or Chittagong ??

Wow BD have now played as many tests as Zimbabwe after starting 8 years after ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mominul has been in poor form. His average fell from 63 after his first 12 Tests to under 47 now after 22. I still think he should have been played as we have a very inexperienced lineup here. Soumya, Sabbir, Mosaddek, Roy, Mustafiz, and Mehedi none have played more than 6 Tests and then there is Taijul who has only played 12.

I'm looking forward to watching Mosaddek. He's 21 (the same age as Mominul when debuted 4 years back), but has the strongest FC pedigree with a FC average of 68 and 3 double hundreds already. Tamim's opinion is that 'Musa' has the batting brain of a "40 year old". We shall see if thats the case.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Kriterion_BD wrote:I agree Jaybro, until we win at least 2-3 tests (or absolutely annhilate by 200 runs/7+ wickets if a single win) we can't make a legit claim at not being a minnow.

It's obvious we're not ODI minnows any more with 4 series wins in the last 5 years, 2 of them 5 match series. Also 3 consecutive top 8 level performances in the last 3 world cups: 2007 (super 8), 2011 (missed QF on net run rate), 2015 (quarterfinals).

The current side is good enough to win Tests at home especially against sides like WI, NZ and possibly even SL and PAK. But we will need pitches that actually favor spin. And we will Taskin to take the cherry and not guys like Rubel.

If it wasn't monsoon season I'd expect a win here vs Pak. Maybe in October when the Aussies come if we have rank turners...we have a shot.
Exactly 23 months since this post of mine...but we've finally managed to win a 2nd Test match. As weak as Sri Lanka might be now, this same team brutalized Australia 3-0 less than a year ago. In the end it was a relatively close game - not quite a nail-biter, but nervous nonetheless. At 130-2 we should have won by a commanding 6-7 wickets, but lost a few more wickets due to some recklessly complacent batting.

Against England we won the toss and defended a sizeable total (273), and fought back 4-5 times after England kept seizing control of the match - most notably when we cut the jugular by taking all 10 wickets for 64 runs.

Here against Sri Lanka it was similar but different. We lost the toss and had to chase in the 4th innings this time. But, from the first session we had the authority in the match, and though Sri Lanka put up resistance on at least 3 occaisions, Bangladesh was always ahead in Colombo.

We won our 100th ODI (vs India), our 150th ODI (vs India in the 2007 World Cup), and now we've won our 100th Test.

Two Test wins in the last 6 months really puts us in a good position overall. As I stated 2 years back, we have officially stepped out of the minnow zone.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Congrats to BD! A good win, and a team well and truly on the rise.
Two Test wins in the last 6 months really puts us in a good position overall. As I stated 2 years back, we have officially stepped out of the minnow zone.
Not so fast :lol:
BD is playing good cricket for sure, but there's still the perception that BD is a minnow country. I think BD can officially say they've shed the tag when the casual cricket follower treats BD with as much respect as - hopefully - opposition teams are starting to now. And that will happen when BD wins away in Australia, England and South Africa and has players that are genuinely feared. And when BD is able to market its star players by getting a batsman in the same breath as Kohli, Root, etc... a bowler in the same breath as Steyn, Starc, etc.

Once the casual cricket fan - by this I mean the guy who flicks on Channel 9 every summer to see the Test match, knows a few foreign player names and will chat about the score at work but doesn't log on to Cricinfo to analyse scorecards like we do - knows that not only is Bangladesh a cricket playing country, but a decent one at that... will the minnow tag be shed. Just as it was for Sri Lanka about 20 years ago.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Bangladesh are certainly moving beyond minnow status, but winning tests against India, England, New Zealand, and Australia will officially change that. Zimbabwe never got beyond minnow status, even after beating Pakistan in tests home and away. Beating SL in SL is a huge achievement though, no one ever finds it easy playing there, not even Australia.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes