Zimbabwe A vs South Africa Emerging: Series Thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Zimbabwe A vs South Africa Emerging: Series Thread

Post by TapsC »

Tari will probably make way for Taylor if he is back for the West Indies games. PJ has to open if he wants to stay in the team as a batsman only in my opinion. Otherwise I would drop him for Mawoyo. I'm surprised Tino isn't playing actually. Looks like they might discard him Panyangara style.Regis deserves the gloves at the moment in that format despite the mistakes he made. I doubt PJ would have caught those too.

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 pm
Yeah Regis proving he's a cut above the rest.

One of the things I noticed was out of guys like Kunje, Kasuza, Musakanda, Chari...the guys all average 25-30 in first class cricket. Surely the pitches can't be that bad in the Logan Cup. Which means that at the Test level these guys are going to struggle.
Yes this is true, and that's why guys like Waller and Moor are in the side because they average above 30 .....
Well Kasuza averages 32 I think. But Waller averages above 40. Burl too averages well into the 40s. So they are definitely the best. FC averages dont always tell the truth, but its the only thing ypu can go on. But Tary does seem to know how to bat despite his avg.
Once again, the question is, in INTERNATIONALS:
1. Where do Moor, Malcolm and Burl bat?
2. Where do Chari and Musakanda bat?

NB: I know Kunje, Musakanda, Chari and Kasuza have predominantly opened in FC cricket, but in his entire career does Malcolm Waller even know what first over of a match at the crease feels like, be it Club, FC, List A, o B League? Bear in mind, he averages 23 in tests having never batted higher than number 5 and predominantly 6th.

Perhaps Musakanda's appearing as if he "knows how to bat" as you put it, is because of the minor relief of not having to face the new ball. Imagine if he batted 6. He'd look as brilliant as Regis or even more. And Regis does look a class act batting lower(6/7) in Tests after keeping wicket for 100+ overs, even though he bats in the top 3/4 in domestic FC cricket. Food for thought!

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Do you ever get sick of going on about the same thing Hhm?

You do realise you've been banging on about privledge white guys batting down the order and poor black guys opening for years now ????

We get your point now move on please .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Having someone like Mawoyo opening would be a bit reassuring. Players like Chari, Kunje, Musakanda who have done the job at FC level should be looking to put up their credentials as well. The rest can fight it out in the other positions. Clearly it seems a waste opening with Chikabva. We seem to have a packed middle order but to what end? I wonder if we lack confidence in our batsman to have the likes of Waller Moor batting down at 7 or 8. The question would then be, if the top 6 are not doing a job then do they deserve their place in the team. We should take lessons from the Sri Lanka test that even if we put runs on the board its pointless if there aren't any bowlers to do the job.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You're right 100% Tawac the coaches / selectors are t confident enough in our batting that's why they played Waller @8. Moor has batted 7 in all his 4 tests so no real surprise he batted there but asking Regis to open and keep is a big ask, I doubt it's a long term solution .....

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

http://www.3-mob.com/sport/pretoriuss-f ... a-century/

Short review for Day 1 and the 19's game .....

pariah

Post by pariah »

tawac wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 am
Having someone like Mawoyo opening would be a bit reassuring. Players like Chari, Kunje, Musakanda who have done the job at FC level should be looking to put up their credentials as well. The rest can fight it out in the other positions
Didnt Burl and Moor earn their stripes at the top of the order in FC cricket?

tawac, in what positions in domestic cricket do the best performing batsmen or batting selection candidates bat for their Provinces?
We seem to have a packed middle order but to what end?
Job security!

Conant

Post by Conant »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:34 am
Tari will probably make way for Taylor if he is back for the West Indies games. PJ has to open if he wants to stay in the team as a batsman only in my opinion. Otherwise I would drop him for Mawoyo. I'm surprised Tino isn't playing actually. Looks like they might discard him Panyangara style.Regis deserves the gloves at the moment in that format despite the mistakes he made. I doubt PJ would have caught those too.
I didn't know Panyangara has been discarded? I thought our best bowler for years now was injured and would be immediately back to lead the attack once he recovered?

Conant

Post by Conant »

tawac wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 pm
Well played Chikabva 100 showing why he should be in and around the national team. Not sure if opening is his best strength though. Zim A moving onto 230/5 after 56 overs. Not a bad effort at all lots of starts in the top order but now one else really hanging around.
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 pm
Yeah Regis proving he's a cut above the rest.

One of the things I noticed was out of guys like Kunje, Kasuza, Musakanda, Chari...the guys all average 25-30 in first class cricket. Surely the pitches can't be that bad in the Logan Cup. Which means that at the Test level these guys are going to struggle.
Yesterda's score card showing exactly why our current national team players are a cut above the rest (maybe because they get more practice, I don't know) and how any new entrant will struggle to establish themselves in the team.

That strike rate of 75 by Regis CHkabva is quite high, likely illustrating a placid pitch and maybe a slight wekness in the SA E bowling attack. The rest of the Zim's team members should be concerned that they didn’t cash in.

Where is Prince Musvore, he would have seized this opportunity by the scuff of Chicken George’s neck.

How Victor Nyauchi bowls on this pitch today will be very important in my opinion.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Conant wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 am
TapsC wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:34 am
I didn't know Panyangara has been discarded? I thought our best bowler for years now was injured and would be immediately back to lead the attack once he recovered?
I said the same thing myself a few posts back, and was reminded that apparently he’s now junk that must make way for the new generation. No basis or stats were provided.

People forget that Panyangara in the team when Vitori+Jarvis were together, and I kept banging on that ZIM would actually have won some of those matches if Panyngara was there. He's a much better seamer than both - at any age(17-35) or stage of their careers.

Panyangara is my first name on a Test bowling attack for Zimbabwe, and hewill ALWAYS get the new ball, never a chane bowler. Plus no matter how good the spinners are going, he'll bowl the 81st over regardless.