[Series Thread] India in Sri Lanka 2017

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

[Series Thread] India in Sri Lanka 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I think to spice up ZCF, we ought to discuss more non ZIM cricket. :D

I think Sri Lanka will win a couple games, but I see India winning the Tests 3-0. SL might draw one if the pitch is a total belter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Re: [Series Thread] India in Sri Lanka 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

SL getting absolutely mauled...and it will get worse as Gunaratne is out of the series and he's been one of their best batsmen recently. India might win every game by an innings!

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 pm
SL getting absolutely mauled...and it will get worse as Gunaratne is out of the series and he's been one of their best batsmen recently. India might win every game by an innings!
I did say India would put Zimbabwe's tour to Sri lanka very much into perspective.

I'd also like to think that some very average ZIM players actually earn more than SL players. Lots of very unhappy players in that country.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

pariah wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:44 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 pm
I did say India would put Zimbabwe's tour to Sri lanka very much into perspective.

I'd also like to think that some very average ZIM players actually earn more than SL players. Lots of very unhappy players in that country.
I don't know if they earn more than SL players, but they do earn more than Bangladeshi players.

Sri Lanka did recently beat Australia 3-0 and draw with Bangladesh 1-1. On real time rank, they are probably 8th place around about with the Windies.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

So the point is: India are far better than Zim. We really needed the comeback kid to tell us that ;)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

A Good question would be which Country would be harder to Tour, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka ??

Just on pure cricketing terms not considering the Political or safety of the Country .....

Last time we toured BD for Tests we lost 3 zip and have lost 11 of the last 12 ODI's played between the two nations in BD ( 1 no result ) .....

Our last tour there we did draw the t20 series 2-2 and the previous t20 series 1-1 ......

Sri Lanka are rebuilding at the moment where Bangladesh seem to be at the peak of their powers (or at least very close), I would be very interested to see how the tour would unfold if there was another 3 Test, 5 ODI series. Bangladesh would be firm favourites but I'd like to think we would put up a better showing than the dreadful tour in 2014 under Mongongo ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:42 am
A Good question would be which Country would be harder to Tour, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka ??

Just on pure cricketing terms not considering the Political or safety of the Country .....

Last time we toured BD for Tests we lost 3 zip and have lost 11 of the last 12 ODI's played between the two nations in BD ( 1 no result ) .....

Our last tour there we did draw the t20 series 2-2 and the previous t20 series 1-1 ......

Sri Lanka are rebuilding at the moment where Bangladesh seem to be at the peak of their powers (or at least very close), I would be very interested to see how the tour would unfold if there was another 3 Test, 5 ODI series. Bangladesh would be firm favourites but I'd like to think we would put up a better showing than the dreadful tour in 2014 under Mongongo ......
SL are rebuilding and will likely be rebuilding for another 2-3 yrs at least. Worst case scenario they may be stuck rebuilding permanently like the WIndies. Once Herath retires, Sandakan can take over, but he is still a bit raw. The seam attack will not be terrible with Pradeep, Chameera, and Kumara...if they can stay healthy that is. The batting will depend on Matthews, Mendis, Gunaratne, and gunathilika.

A Zimbabwe tour of BD would be interesting. ZIM have improved a lot but so has BD. Our batting lineup is almost the same as 2014, but the bowling has been significantly upgraded. The 2014 series was actually closer than the 8-0 scoreline suggests. Remember Zim nearly won the first Test, and threw away the 4th ODI. We won the 3rd Test by a handy margin (180 runs and 5 wickets) but 2nd was not exactly a blow out (150 runs and 1 wicket).

pariah

Post by pariah »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1789 ... v-ind-2017

Second Test India post 622/9d in just 158 overs.

In reply SL looked decent at 50/2 at the end of day two.

Fast forward to day 3, SL bowled out for 183 (8 wickets lost for 133 runs), and the day closes with them folowing on 209/2, trailing by 230 runs!

TEST DIVISIONS
TIER ONE: IND, ENG, AUS, SA, PAK
TIER TWO: WI, NZ, SL, ZIM, BD, AFG, IRE, SCO, NED, NEP, PNG, HK

Can only get worse if BD fail to boss an AUS side that's been having a daily diet of shut-eye, KFC and VB!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

How does PAK get into tier 1?

Minus Misbah and Younis they will struggle like the current SL team. OK not that badly, but still.

pariah

Post by pariah »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:18 pm
How does PAK get into tier 1?

Minus Misbah and Younis they will struggle like the current SL team. OK not that badly, but still.
If you can take 20 wickets home and away you will ALWAYS be top tier.

Secondly if you can pick two different sets of 4 bowlers in your XIs, and still retain the ability to take 20 wickets then you are top tier. Pakistan have done that several times, far more than any other team (bans; injuries, suspensions, dropped-loss of form).

The current ENG-SA Series has got porous batting orders (Ballance, Jennings, Westley, Malan vs Kuhn, Duminy, de Bruyn), just like most Test sides. Bowling is what has kept the Series world class. SA batting also struggled in NZ and AUS recently, as would ZIM/BD bu bowling came through.

Only IND (and BD) have a settled Test batting order right now, with AUS almost there. Bowling will decide a lot of matches for a very long time to come.

When SL toured ZIM last year, they won and dominated because ZIM simply couldn't take their wickets.

All those 12 sides are in the same bracket because of that.