Victoria Falls Stadium - back on the agenda?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Should ZC build it?

Yes - build it
50%
No - don't build it
50%

Total votes: 12

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Victoria Falls Stadium - back on the agenda?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://www.chronicle.co.zw/10-000-seate ... -partners/

Just a small mention - that ZC have been allocated land but nothing developed yet.

I reckon ZC should build the damn thing. I don't care how much is squandered on the project; it's a chance to build a boutique stadium against one of the nicest backdrops in the world. It could be leased out to rugby and soccer teams, or community festivals, etc. I find it really hard to believe that in the long term it wouldn't be (at the very least) a moderate success.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Victoria Falls Stadium - back on the agenda?

Post by Jemisi »

Not this decade, that's for sure

pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by pariah »

Except the approach is wrong.

Infrastructure should be the responsibilty of the City or Province(State) - basically Local Government, because they plus national governemtn will guarantee any loans towards contruction/development.

A High School student can easily easily and successfully motivate for this via cost-benefit, and it would pass for inclusion within the budget, with a lot of takers to both fund and construct (Sweden, Malaysia, Norway, China, Canada, etc). Even the ICC themselves would see business sense in doing so but their don't want to set precendents they can't fairly and consistently live up to.

So what is the hold up? The problem lies in ZC having to build and own it.

ZC currently is technically insolvent, and under the administration of the ICC. Zimbabwe doesn't exactly own and control cricket in Zimbabwe right now.

So if this project is undertaken, who exactly is building it - and for whom exactly to own and run it?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The sole motive for going ahead will be to award tenders and contracts for self-enrichment. The scramble and skullduggery involved will be stupendous. If it was closer to Hwange it could double up as an occasional football venue. They have an annual Boozers' League Stragglers tournament and I guarantee they would get more use out if it than anyone else, and that's if they used it every third year. That's because they are the only ones that can afford to get to Vic Falls. The first expense will be compensating some fictitious claim for the land. Anyone who has attempted to walk in the summer midday sun at The Falls will also be aware what a f@"*ing stupid idea this is. Just talking about this makes my blood boil. It would be better to spend the millions on giving the current ZC regime a golden handshake and buying them houses in another country on the condition they never return.

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

Mr googly is correct, I should see if they need someone of my business acumen involved in this project.

-watermelon.
<3 Jemisi rules <3

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

watermelon wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm
Mr googly is correct, I should see if they need someone of my business acumen involved in this project.

-watermelon.
I'm sure they'll need someone to clean the toilets so you can tender for that ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

I could probably employ some of these cricketers to clean the toilets, most of them will work for a free meal or the promise of money.

-watermelon.
<3 Jemisi rules <3

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

watermelon wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:12 pm
I could probably employ some of these cricketers to clean the toilets, most of them will work for a free meal or the promise of money.

-watermelon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

With Zimbabwe Cricket being in the financial state that it is in, it sounds like madness to build a stadium in Vic Fall right now. The IDEA is good - absolutely. In theory, visiting supporters could go to the cricket in Vic Falls and then have a look at the 'falls themselves, spend money in the local economy etc. But the truth is that we haven't got two cents to rub together as a country. Many of our best players have left, are thinking of leaving or are playing for other nations - never to return, and often the main issue is PAY - or lack thereof! The way I see it, we have suitable facilities as it is, although they need some upgrading, so that should come first, as opposed to some nutty politician's vanity project! As Googly rightly mentioned - what will the tender process be like for such a venture? Will it be transparent? No. You'd have to be on crack to believe that it isn't going to be corrupted somehow. Primarily, we need to PAY our existing players, not just so that they don't leave, but also so that they can actually live their lives with a modicum of dignity and not be reduced to cricket playing beggars.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

It's not the right time just yet.. the town doesn't even have a franchise and we don't play enough cricket..maybe in 10 years time but certainly not now