Test Bowling Options ( Seamers )

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Test Bowling Options ( Seamers )

Post by jaybro »

After dissecting and discussing our test opening options for the Windies Test series I thought we should look at our Seam bowling options as finding our best seam attack is just as clear as our opening partnership. Here are my views feel free to comment and throw in your own.

INCUMBENTS

Donald Tiripano: Seems to be the fallback guy whom Streak can rely on when others don't seem to work out but although he is very consistent Don is barely penetrative. 10 wickets in 6 Tests @51 a piece shows Tiripano hasn't set the world a light on the Test arena and probably means he isn't up to standard when it comes to taking the new ball in tests, another bad sign was Cremer / Streak not trusting him to bowl at all in the 4th innings against Sri Lanka. Although this was clearly a mistake it shows that the brains trust don't believe Don is the man to bowl Zimbabwe to victory, on the other hand his batting has been superb down the order and gives his side batting depth no other seamer can provide, this may help his cause when the team is picked. IMO I would only consider Tiripano as the third seamer batting @ 9 if we go with 3 seamers due to his batting and he could do a role holding up an end bowling tight line and length.

Christopher Mpofu: Bobby always seems to find himself around the side despite having a poor test record ( 12 matches 25 wickets @ 48 ) and in comparison to his peers a poor first class average of 31.5. Mpofu bowls some good spells but has never looked like ripping through a test lineup and with his 32nd Birthday a week away is it time to move on from Bobby? Un-like Tiripano Bobby's batting is terrible so if he's not taking wickets and not scoring runs what is bringing to the side? Mpofu seems to be another fallback guy for Streak to turn to but IMO it's time to move on from Bobby in test matches.

Carl Mumba: Didn't play in the Sri Lanka test due to injury but would have been picked if he was fit after being arguably the best seamer on the domestic seen for the last 3 years his debut series against Sri Lanka in 2016 was promising. He took 8 wickets in 2 tests and although they came @37 a piece his height and pace gives him some tools to work with to become a good test bowler. Not the finished product yet but IMO he is the most promising fast bowler in Zimbabwe at the moment and can also hold a bat so Mumba would be one of the first bowlers picked IMO.

RETURNING STARS

Tendai Chatara: The best fast bowler in the country IMO and his record backs it up, a first class average under 22 and a test bowling average under 30 along with his impressive ODI record puts him ahead of the pack. Injury and fitness has been a worry for Larry ever since breaking his leg after the 2015 WC and although he has made a successful return to the ODI side we're yet to see him play a Test match after he was rested for the Sri Lanka test in July. It's unknown whether he is fit enough to get through a test or if the medical staff are just being cautious with him there is also a thought he is being saved for ODI cricket with the WC qualifiers not far away maybe he isn't worth risking injury in a test? Putting the medical stuff aside Larry is the first seamer picked for a Zimbabwe Test XI IMO.

Tinashe Panyangara: Tinashe is one of the more polarising players up for debate with some people describing him as the best test bowler since Heath Streak to others labelling him useless and overweight. I guess it's because all of his positives come with a disclaimer like his very impressive Test record having an average of 26 which is the best of any Zimbabwe bowler past or present, but his Test career has spanned 13 years and he's only played the 9 tests the last being almost 3 years ago, how relevant can his record be if it was so long ago? Tinashe has also struggled with weight and fitness over the past 2 years and hasn't bowled in a match since May so how match fit is he? Also his last Logan Cup season wasn't that impressive with 9 wickets in 4 matches so questions will be asked is he still the same bowler he was 3 years ago in Bangladesh where he took 14 wickets @ 20 in tough conditions for a seamer? His line and length bowling with the ability to nip the ball around is perfect for taking the new ball in Test cricket and if he is able to reproduce that form he would be the second seamer picked to face the Windies, but I have my doubts if he's still capable and at his age is it time to move on?

Shingi Masakadza: When you look at the record of guys like Chris Mpofu and consider how much cricket they've played for Zimbabwe it's hard to understand why Shingi has played so little, his test average is 16 runs better than Bobby's and his first class average of 23 is also way superior to the more capped seamer Mpofu the question must be asked 'who's dog has Shingi kicked?' 296 First Class wickets @23 should have resulted in more than 5 Tests and after being the leading seam bowler in last years Logan Cup he's back in contention and was rewarded with a Zim A call up against South Africa Emerging Stars. At 30 years old the question will be asked has the boat sailed on Shingi and is it more beneficial to look at some younger guys? Shingi also had some criminal charges laid on him recently although they seem to have gone away. His batting is another plus and again makes it hard to understand why he was overlooked so often, he could challenge Tiripano as the third seamer batting @9.

THE CONTENDERS

Mike Chinouya: The Rhino is back in contention for another shot at Test Cricket after being selected from obscurity last year for the Bulawayo Tests against NZ, I felt for Chinouya as he really was set up for fail on those flat tracks against a quality Test Lineup he held his own but was then dumped for the Sri Lankan series. But the Rhino set back to work and claimed 20 wickets @ 16 in the Logan Cup and was rewarded with selection for Zim A where he did ok once again. Like Shingi and Panyangara his age is an issue being 31 will the selectors opt for a younger bowler? Another issue for Chinouya is his second and third spells don't have the same intensity as his first spell and his speeds drop off as well. Although I really like Mike 'The Rhino' Chinouya and i'd love to seem him get another go after the NZ Tests I really can't see him being picked, his batting is also in the Mpofu category.

Nathan Waller: A genuine allrounder who is equal at both batting and bowling yet hasn't quite set the world alight at either Waller has been in and around the national team for the last 3 -4 series but is yet to debut. His first class bowling figures show a great average of 23 but with only 51 wickets in 26 matches shows he's not quite a front line bowler. His efforts in last years Logan Cup show an average of 10 and strike rate of 20 !!!! which proves he's a decent bowler, his batting can be destructive at times and he could fit the role as a No.8 batsman and bowl first change. At 25 years old time is still on his side and he could be selected if guys like Chatara and Tinashe aren't fit, likely in a battle with Tiripano and Shingi for the third seamer role.

OUTSIDE CHANCE

Richard Ngarava: Being 19 years old he is one of the most promising fast bowlers coming through the ranks, his height and pace makes him a player Streak has identified as someone who can develop into a quality seamer as he picked him out of the under 19's for the Afghanistan series earlier this year. Although still rough around the edges there's plenty to like about him, the fact he hasn't played a first class match would say he's at long odds to make the side but he's been in good form for the Rising Stars so it's not totally out of the question.

Luke Jongwe: He was once the 'next big thing' in Zimbabwe cricket but has fallen from grace due to some off field stuff surrounding alcohol. He had a great Logan Cup season taking 20 wickets @ 23 and he can hold a bat scoring a few first class hundreds, but in a sign he's not really in contention he wasn't included in the Zim A matches. Still a player with loaded potential he will undoubtedly return to the national team at some point but was rumoured to be looking for a move to Australia this summer. Can't see him being selected for this series but hopefully he'll be back in the fold soon.

Victor Nyauchi: A guy who always seems to be in the A sides but his stats don't explain why, an average of 33 and a poor Logan Cup season suggests he's unlikely for a Test cap anytime soon.

Neville Madziva: A decent allrounder in Logan Cup cricket with a batting avergae of 28 and his bowling under 23 Madziva should be in and around the conversation, but he seems to have fallen out of favour and didn't quite take his chances in the A Team cricket he played earlier this year. A poor Logan Cup season also has dropped him down the pecking order and he seems now to considered only a limited overs cricketer. Still has time on his side he's unlikely to get a call up but will be targeting a big domestic season to get back in the reckoning, he could fill a similar role to that of Tiripano batting and bowling.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Test Bowling Options ( Seamers )

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Good analysis. You have correctly not included him for now, but I'm sure a year from now, William Mashinge would be very much in the mix.

I'd pick the following 4 for the test squad of 15 for now:

Chatara
Shingi
Tiripano
Mumba

And I'd go with the following 3 of them if we are going with 3 pacers:

Chatara
Shingi / Mumba (whoever is on form)
Tiripano

If we are going for an all out 3 pronged pace "attack", I'd replace Tiripano with the one left from the second spot above.

Left field approach: Tiripano also plays along with all the other 3, with the Don opening the batting and coming in as second change :D

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Brian Vitori ( Only Zimbabwe Seamer in last five year has the potential to trouble even the best of the game )
Blessing Muzarbani
Tendai Chatara

Has Potential : Carl Mumba, N Waller, D Tiripano

Average Performers : Good in weak Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket against Associate Nations. Worst against big teams.

M Chinouya
S Masakadza
C Mpofu
T Panyangara
Victor Nyauchi:
Robo to rule :oops:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Something tells me tinashe is cooked like yesterday's dinner, but maybe with fitness work he can make a comeback from injury.

To me, al full strength it has to be chatara and mumba, remembering Vitori and Jarvis unavailable
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 am
Something tells me tinashe is cooked like yesterday's dinner, but maybe with fitness work he can make a comeback from injury.

To me, al full strength it has to be chatara and mumba, remembering Vitori and Jarvis unavailable
Yes my thoughts exactly Dogg, I didn't consider KJ or Vitori because they're not currently available. Chatara and Mumba are my first two picked if fit, if Tinashe can do what he did 3 years ago yes he's in but I doubt he's fit enough ......

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 am
Good analysis. You have correctly not included him for now, but I'm sure a year from now, William Mashinge would be very much in the mix.

I'd pick the following 4 for the test squad of 15 for now:

Chatara
Shingi
Tiripano
Mumba

And I'd go with the following 3 of them if we are going with 3 pacers:

Chatara
Shingi / Mumba (whoever is on form)
Tiripano

If we are going for an all out 3 pronged pace "attack", I'd replace Tiripano with the one left from the second spot above.

Left field approach: Tiripano also plays along with all the other 3, with the Don opening the batting and coming in as second change :D
+ 1

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tristan Holme reported that one of either Taylor or Jarvis is very likely to come back, possibly both.

I reckon we will know by the end of September as thats when the county season ends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:33 am
Tristan Holme reported that one of either Taylor or Jarvis is very likely to come back, possibly both.

I reckon we will know by the end of September as thats when the county season ends.
I think BRMT will come back with the lure of playing a ICC tournament at home being to great for him to resist. Whilst KJ is less likely he's probably looking for another County gig with his limited chances at Lancs .....

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I'm thinking we will probably play the West Indies on a spin friendly track because their fast bowling options are quite strong. So we will go with 2 fast bowlers. I don't think the West Indies are so good that we have to play 8 batsmen. Hopefully they go in with 2 spin bowlers as well.

Something tells me chatara isn't fit enough to play both formats. I think Mumba is definitely the second option but something tells me if Chatara doesn't play they're might throw Ngarava or one of the other rising stars in the deep end.personally I think Shingi can play the Donald role. Madziva too

I also like Mashinge a lot but I think they need to organize some domestic games before picking the squad so that we can assess further

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 am
I'm thinking we will probably play the West Indies on a spin friendly track because their fast bowling options are quite strong. So we will go with 2 fast bowlers. I don't think the West Indies are so good that we have to play 8 batsmen. Hopefully they go in with 2 spin bowlers as well.

Something tells me chatara isn't fit enough to play both formats. I think Mumba is definitely the second option but something tells me if Chatara doesn't play they're might throw Ngarava or one of the other rising stars in the deep end.personally I think Shingi can play the Donald role. Madziva too

I also like Mashinge a lot but I think they need to organize some domestic games before picking the squad so that we can assess further
All very good points mate, I'm actually concerned we're going to be under done for the test series since we don't seem to have any matches for our senior side planned prior to the tour. On the other hand the Windies will be match hardened after a long tough tour of England.

This is a series where we should be aiming for a result so it would be a shame to be under prepared.

I think two seamers and spin from Cremer and the part timers Willy & Raza could be enough to get 20 wickets on a sporting deck. We almost got 20 against Sri Lanka on a pretty flat pitch and although they've been smashed by India the Sri Lankan batting ( at home ) would be better than the Windies lineup IMO.

If it's a spin friendly pitch I just don't know who would be the best option for a second spinner? M'shangwe is the obvious choice but he struggled against the South African Emerging side. Chisoro seems out of the picture at the moment and his first class stats aren't that great. Ndlovu also struggled against SAES so I guess that leaves Wellington, but to me he seems more of a limited overs type bowler.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.