[Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: [Series Thread] Australia in Bangladesh 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

LOL, apparently someone stole Khawaja's shoes at the mosque in Chittagong.

He went to the Eid prayer with Sabbir and Mominul and fell victim to shoe theft. Rookie mistake. I don't know what its like in Pakistan, but in BD you always take your shoes off and then carry them inside the mosque so you can keep your eyes on them at all times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

The rain has gone away and we have play

Safiul out for Mominul for BD

Khawaja and Hazlewood out for Cartwright & O'Keefe

interested to see how Cartwright is used, i'd like to see him bowl some overs and bat @4
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:35 am
The rain has gone away and we have play

Safiul out for Mominul for BD

Khawaja and Hazlewood out for Cartwright & O'Keefe

interested to see how Cartwright is used, i'd like to see him bowl some overs and bat @4
Is Cartwright a top order bat? I had always thought he would fit the #6-7 all rouner role with his mediums.

70-3 at lunch, this is a MUCH flatter pitch than Mirpur...I reckon 400 is the par score here, you might be able to get away with a bit less if you aren't batting last but this might be like the pitches ZIM saw in 2014.

Good to see Mominul in and he looks reasonably solid so far. Not as solid as Mushfiq or Tamim, but I have always rated Momin as the 3rd most technically sound batsman in the Bangladesh side.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

He averages over 50 in first class cricket and spent time batting @3 for WA. His bowling is slightly better than part time but not much.

Definitely in the side for his batting

Nathan Lyon killing it !!! Too many lefties in the top orde for BD the top four all out LBW to the off spinner

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

no turn so far...poor batting by the BD top order. I still feel 400 is a good total on this track. an India would probably smash 500+...

good thing we are bowling last...I would hope the pitch starts turning later but cant be sure of that.

13 wickets had fallen on day 1 in Dhaka...only 6 here.

I hope BD can get 325-350 at the least if they want to have a chance. you have to feel Smith and Warner and Renshaw are licking their lips to bat on this strip.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

didnt realize Cartwright averaged 50 at Shield level...that is seriously impressive. Ballance averaged 50 at County level as well...you reckon those guys would given Logan Cup scorers arthritis!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 pm
didnt realize Cartwright averaged 50 at Shield level...that is seriously impressive. Ballance averaged 50 at County level as well...you reckon those guys would given Logan Cup scorers arthritis!
Cartwright had the benefit of growing up in the Australian system so he has a massive advantage over the kids coming through the Zimbabwe system.

I often wonder how good BRMT or Williams could have been if they came through the Australian or English system

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Taijul gets Smith first ball, I don't understand why Mushy takes so long to bowl Taijul it's almost like he doesn't have much faith in him ?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:22 am
Taijul gets Smith first ball, I don't understand why Mushy takes so long to bowl Taijul it's almost like he doesn't have much faith in him ?
Taijul is very much the 3rd spinner. You will find that he will be the one to make way for an extra seamer in SA. That being said, he is doing his job quietly. While Miraz and Shakib have taken the bulk of the wickets, Taijul has chipped in here and there and has actually kept his end tight with an economy rate lower than the other 2 in home Tests the past 1 year.

Mushy was a pretty terrible captain and like any other captain is likely being made to look better by the team winning games over the past year or two. As such, he has a tendency to over-bowl whoever happens to be taking wickets. In the last match he kept bowling Shakib and Taijul, only switching to Miraz for an over or two, and then reverting back to the two SLAs once a right hander appeared at the crease. If your recall in the 2013 series in Zimbabwe, he kept bowling Robiul, who I think bowled an astounding 110 overs in that series.

I won't complain too much as long as the team is winning. We've gotten Smitty out for about 100 runs in 3 innings, clean bowling him twice. Just by his Test average he'd have scored 180, or 150 in Asian conditions. You can't expect better than that. I'm a bit disappointed we're not having much success with Warner, but then again, in this Aussie lineup you expect that Warner and Smith will do the bulk of the damage.

As for this game, the Aussies have come back strongly. 305 looks like a woefully inadequate total on a surface like this. Surprisingly, while the Aussie spinners got no turn on day 1 they were turning it quite prodigously today. Yet the BD spinners haven't gotten much...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Who would make a good captain Kriterion??

Tamin looks lazy and dis-interested in the field, Mahmudullah has been dropped and the rest are pretty young.

Sakib is the only other option.