Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 am
Its being reported the Tri series featuring Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe will start on Jan 15 with the first 3 games being played at the new stadium in Sylhet. All teams will play 2 games in Sylhet before the tournament moves on.

Jan 15 Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka
Jan 17 Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka
Jan 19 Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka
Very interesting series I guess BD are clear favourites for this series ????

I might be optimistic but I think Zimbabwe are a genuine chance to win this
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Rumors that BCB approached Andy Flower for the coach's post and he turned down the offer.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am
Rumors that BCB approached Andy Flower for the coach's post and he turned down the offer.
Yeah its true from what I read. Interim HC most likely to be Khaled Mahmud and I have no clue how that will go. The best technical coaches from BD are Mohammad Salahuddin and Aminul Islam, but they dont seem to be mentioned by the BCB ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:18 am
At least they had a crack at a top line coach
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Proposed new FTP for 2019-2023 just got published on cricinfo...

Bangladesh are scheduled to play more Tests than all countries except the Big 3. Looks like making turning tracks at home the past couple of years has paid off in more ways than one!

We are scheduled to play 35 Tests in 4 years, just 2 less than India!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

It turns out only 26 of those 35 Tests are against Test League opponents.

Still a decent improvement from the current FTP and the matches against ZIM, IRE, and AFG will be very important to continue our development.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Shakib is our new Test captain. Mahmudullah named the VC, which is a poor move because he has been in and out of the squad, and more to the point will make it difficult for Mosaddek to find a spot in the XI unless Mushfiqur remains the WK.

Mushfiq was roundly criticized as a captain, although under his tenure Bangladesh won 3 Tests, and drew several others. His own performance was quite decent. Became the captain with a batting average of 27.16 - which is neither good nor bad for a young WK. But as a captain averaged 41.44, with an away average of 59.65.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

Interesting to note that Mushfiq took over as captain from Shakib in 2011 following the defeat to ZIM in both Tests and ODIs.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I feel like BD's progress is significant and that Musfiq has been a bit hard done by.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I think most of BD's recent success in tests was despite the not-so-inspirational captaincy of Mushfiqur. He is an excellent batsman, good keeper, but he can't inspire a team. In fact, he almost does the opposite. As soon as things start going bad, his shoulders droop, he gives up trying and has even shown his frustration at team mates. While those who know him well in the team might understand his state of mind and carry on, for yongsters coming in, that might not be the best position to be in.

Shakib as captain could be giving too much power to someone who is already a superstar. Hope that doesn't go the KP way.

What does BCB think of Tamim? Was he not considered? I thought he was the perfect fit for the leadership role.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:52 am
I feel like BD's progress is significant and that Musfiq has been a bit hard done by.
He was at best a mediocre captain. And he has a habit of scapegoating - usually the junior members of the team. These are all pretty damning traits for any leadership position. He is a very unpopular captain based on fan support and the board has gradually lost confidence in him as well, first losing limited overs captaincy back in 2014.

That being said, few will question his work ethic which is unsurpassed and the seriousness with which he takes his game. As a leader his stubborness is a drawback, but at as a batsman it has made him one of Bangladesh's best as his Test averages attest.

All in all I remain an unapologetic supporter of his (even I have railed against his captaincy). But honestly, his leadership got us in a position from being write-offs to competitive. Faced with the bowling attack and the types of wickets we got, not many captains could have done much more than he did, in hindsight.