[Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] Day Night Pink Ball Test: SA vs Zimbabwe

Post by Andybligzz »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm
heard bt is on 35k a month. I'm sick... they need to do better
How do you know this tapsc ? Not questioning you but a zim cricketer being on that much is unheard of !
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm
heard bt is on 35k a month. I'm sick... they need to do better
Is that US dollars ??

If so I don’t believe it not even the South African dudes are on that much lol

I read an article about AB De Villiers and it said it was on $150K a year

If those figures are correct than BT is on $420K a year
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Convert that to Aussie dollars and he’s on more than most Aussie players

No wonder he wanted to come back lol

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

TapsC, whoever told you that had obviously spent the night at the Centurion. Not possible

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This was the plan it seems: https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Prote ... n-20171227
Cape Town - Zimbabwe captain Graeme Cremer went to extreme measures to try and deal with the dangerous evening session in the Boxing Day Test in Port Elizabeth on Tuesday.

With the floodlights on at St Georges Park and South Africa having declared at 309/9 in their first innings, Proteas stand-in captain AB de Villiers sent Zimbabwe in for 16 overs at the end of the first day.

It didn't go well for the visitors.

A relentless spell of opening bowling saw Zimbabwe fall to 11/3 and then 14/4.

When Cremer sent in Kyle Jarvis as a nightwatchman with 30 minutes still to play, it was a decision that raised eyebrows. It worked, though, and Zimbabwe managed to get to the end of the day on 30/4.

As it turns out, Cremer had told all of his tail-enders and lower-order batsmen to put their pads on as the day was winding down.

Cremer confirmed that he was ready to sacrifice his bowlers rather than send in his batsmen in what were extremely tough batting conditions.

"All four of my seam bowlers had their pads on in the changeroom and they were ready to come in and bat," Cremer was quoted as saying on Netwerk24.

"Hopefully that would have allowed the batsman to survive and play in better conditions tomorrow (Wednesday)."

Aiden Markram, who made a century for the Proteas, acknowledged after the day's play that facing the pink ball was significantly more difficult under the lights and as the sun was going down.
If it was, it should have come into effect as soon as the openers went. Not sure what the point was, only protecting Raza and Moor. And he says "all 4 of my seam bowlers" :lol: :lol:

Didn't matter anyway as we proved we were equally horrible even in daytime.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I would have interested to see how things would have went if we batted first and scrapped together 150-200 then bowled with the new nut under lights ??

Yes we batted poor on the second day but I think the damage had been done the night before and the boys were rattled.

Would have loved to have seen KJ bowl with the new ball
Under lights

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The game was over by 30/4. I mentioned reversing the batting order, it really wouldn't have been a bad idea.

These day/night tests are really a bit of a joke. They may as well just play day tests and release alligators onto the field after the tea break.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 am
The game was over by 30/4. I mentioned reversing the batting order, it really wouldn't have been a bad idea.

These day/night tests are really a bit of a joke. They may as well just play day tests and release alligators onto the field after the tea break.
Day night Tests can work but only at certain venues and only if the pitch is prepared correctly. The crowds and viewer numbers are way up on normal tests so day night tests are the way forward.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am
I would have interested to see how things would have went if we batted first and scrapped together 150-200 then bowled with the new nut under lights ??

Yes we batted poor on the second day but I think the damage had been done the night before and the boys were rattled.

Under lights
Day night Tests can work but only at certain venues and only if the pitch is prepared correctly. The crowds and viewer numbers are way up on normal tests so day night tests are the way forward.
I'm not sure how this can be the way forward when so much depends on who has to bat when as you have acknowledge in the first post. What kind of venues and pitches are you looking at? Dubai or Abu Dhabi with either team not allowed to bowl their seamers after dark? If the format is sanctioned it will be played whereever it is economically viable.

I've long held the belief that some of today's inflated batting averages would come down considerably if we went back to uncovered pitches. In a way D/N Tests mean that someone has to bat on a sticky wicket every night. Back in the days of the Hambledon club they often didn't even need the extra second day to finish a four-innings game. Those games were probably pretty exciting or cricket wouldn't have spread from it's rural South Counties' origins. Even Steve Smith would struggle to score runs with a hockey stick against Lumpy Stevens on a bumpy Broadhalfpenny Down wicket. The question is: Do we want to preserve Test cricket as it has evolved over time: as a test of ball against bat where the conditions sometimes favour one or the other, or do we need to rev up the chance factor to create more excitement for this overexcited age?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

foreignfield wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:17 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Under lights
I'm not sure how this can be the way forward when so much depends on who has to bat when as you have acknowledge in the first post. What kind of venues and pitches are you looking at? Dubai or Abu Dhabi with either team not allowed to bowl their seamers after dark? If the format is sanctioned it will be played whereever it is economically viable.

I've long held the belief that some of today's inflated batting averages would come down considerably if we went back to uncovered pitches. In a way D/N Tests mean that someone has to bat on a sticky wicket every night. Back in the days of the Hambledon club they often didn't even need the extra second day to finish a four-innings game. Those games were probably pretty exciting or cricket wouldn't have spread from it's rural South Counties' origins. Even Steve Smith would struggle to score runs with a hockey stick against Lumpy Stevens on a bumpy Broadhalfpenny Down wicket. The question is: Do we want to preserve Test cricket as it has evolved over time: as a test of ball against bat where the conditions sometimes favour one or the other, or do we need to rev up the chance factor to create more excitement for this overexcited age?

Yes as I said Day night Tests can work at certain venues such as Adelaide oval & the Gabba where Australia has hosted successful day night Tests.

Once they figure out how to make the ball more resilient they won’t need to leave so much grass on the pitches.

I don’t mind the night session giving the bowlers some assistance but the Port Elizabeth pitch was way too spicey.