MCC to focus on Zimbabwe, Germany and Nepal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

MCC to focus on Zimbabwe, Germany and Nepal

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

MCC to focus on Zimbabwe, Germany & Nepal as part of overseas development strategy: http://www.myrepublica.com/news/34226/?categoryId=81
“Countries such as Zimbabwe, Nepal and Germany are believed to present ideal developmental opportunities and could benefit most from the Club’s (MCC) overseas work. MCC will now review its strategy and will work with the ICC to identify where it can best help the world game” stated MCC’s official website.
Not sure what exactly that means but MCC realizing Zim still has a future is a good thing in itself.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: MCC to focus on Zimbabwe, Germany and Nepal

Post by The Robot »

That Great !!! :)

Germany Tour Of Zimbabwe " Hitler Mugabe Series "

3 tests, 5 odis and 3 T20s certainly will take out all excitement from " The Ashes "
Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 am
MCC to focus on Zimbabwe, Germany & Nepal as part of overseas development strategy: http://www.myrepublica.com/news/34226/?categoryId=81
“Countries such as Zimbabwe, Nepal and Germany are believed to present ideal developmental opportunities and could benefit most from the Club’s (MCC) overseas work. MCC will now review its strategy and will work with the ICC to identify where it can best help the world game” stated MCC’s official website.
Not sure what exactly that means but MCC realizing Zim still has a future is a good thing in itself.
That means more grass roots pictures of the Mazarabani Cricket Academy, certain people will be rubbing their hands together in glee at this unexpected windfall. We can’t even organize proper coaching or a full shedule of games at the top cricketing schools, we can’t arrange proper age group tours and yet we’re going to be spreading the cricketing gospel in kamusha?
Pleeeze wake up and stop throwing money and opportunities away.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are cricketing schools that can’t produce a B team this year in certain age groups. There are less than 14-15 boys in whole Forms that play cricket in many instances. In the last 4 years the standard has plummeted and an urgent rethink is required by ZC with the co-operation of the schools in order to revive it. This is where we need to focus our meagre resources. There are perhaps 4-5 boys throughout the country that would presently stand a chance of making an SA provincial side on a level playing field. I promise you this is an honest an accurate appraisal of our schoolboy cricket. I watched an annual prep school tournament last year with most of the top schools and I was staggered at the poor standard. I saw one decent kid out of the whole lot of them. I’ve watched this tournament many times over the years and have seen some fantastic cricket being played and what I watched was a grim affair. If it’s collapsing in the top schools with facilities that’s where we need to focus. Anyway no one will listen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Grass roots development has worked in SA, and we’re mistakenly thinking that will work here. Underprivileged black kids (they ignore the underprivileged white ones) do have some opportunities to get noticed and have limited access to coaching and facilities in a few areas. CSA have pushed the agenda and it has worked to a degree. It’s a major error to follow this model. We don’t have the cricketing culture, the money, the facilities or the economy to make it happen. There’s no amount of wishful thinking or token, publicised attempts that will change this fact. What CSA have essentially done is used these new structures to identity black talent and get these kids into cricketing schools. Listen to all those black cricketers in an interview, the vast majority speak well and have had the benefit of a decent education, largely through scholarship programs. We have to skip this step of trying to take cricket to the people, we have to bring the right people to the cricket.
We briefly had scholarship programs but even this has petered out. If we can’t even do this, which is the cheapest most effective way of harnessing talent then nothing else is going to work. Even this simple method is an onerous financial burden and needs buy-in from people/organizations outside of ZC, who can’t organize a piss up in a brewery.

If MCC/ICC and everyone else were to focus on this it would help. If there were 2 scholarships on offer per age group to cricket schools this would be a great incentive. The next problem is what our supposed cricket schools currently offer, it’s largely woefully inadequate. There’s a host of reasons but the reality is that a lot of kids have lost interest in cricket. There are less than half a dozen dads that know what they’re doing and are willing to help their kids, and 99/100 that’s the key to producing a good cricketer, especially a batter. We need more academies that provide the correct coaching. They should focus on independent academies, so far ZC run one has failed. After years of failure it’s fair to assume they will continue to do so. Without specialized extra coaching 2-3 times a week you’re not ever in this lifetime going to produce a world class player, we’re proof of this, we haven’t done so in the last ten years. ZC live in hope that several freaks will appear out of the woodwork that they’ve invested less than $500 a year in for 6 years? It’s ridiculous. Three tours at u19 level will not get them up to speed to compete with the best in the world. $500 is approximately the figure and when you put it like that it becomes apparent why we have gone in reverse- it equates to maybe an age group tour every second year and doesn’t somehow gel with the number of coaches that appear to draw a salary. It’s extraordinary that we produce the half decent guys that we do. Someone like Musakanda would have been an exceptional player had he had the opportunities offered in other nations. On the rare occasion when a good’un comes along they don’t know exactly what to do or seem to care, and that’s the truth, yet will complain bitterly if the player votes with his feet. They don’t care because they’ve focused all their energies on ensuring they’ve enriched themselves and can’t be held accountable.
The only grass roots effort that really bore fruit was Takashinga. That was through some extraordinary efforts by some driven people and no small amount of support. When the incentive to show the establishment what can be done disappeared so too did the good idea that was Takashinga. The proof of this will be when it gets revamped for the qualifiers and falls into disrepair thereafter. That era of having to prove the black cricketers were as good and being unfairly treated has gone and it yielded some very good players. What’s lost on everyone is that those players had a lot of time invested in them at Junior level which we are no longer seeing. Of course it was poorly thought out, resisted and ultimately lead to the collapse of our Club structures and our demise as an emerging cricketing nation. We’re actually seeing the flip side now where white kids in SA and here have to be really exceptional to get a look in.

ZC usually neatly manage to avoid people from the ICC and potentially the MCC having direct contact with people on the ground here who have contrary views, and often it’s such an inconvenient truth that they’d rather just ignore the monumental problems that the right decisions would create. I think that the MCC claiming to show some interest is in line with us seeing the end of the Mugabe era and if this was handled correctly it could lead to good things. However I justifiably have no faith in the ZC regime and they’re going to squander the opportunity.

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 am
There are cricketing schools that can’t produce a B team this year in certain age groups. There are less than 14-15 boys in whole Forms that play cricket in many instances. In the last 4 years the standard has plummeted and an urgent rethink is required by ZC with the co-operation of the schools in order to revive it. This is where we need to focus our meagre resources. There are perhaps 4-5 boys throughout the country that would presently stand a chance of making an SA provincial side on a level playing field. I promise you this is an honest an accurate appraisal of our schoolboy cricket. I watched an annual prep school tournament last year with most of the top schools and I was staggered at the poor standard. I saw one decent kid out of the whole lot of them. I’ve watched this tournament many times over the years and have seen some fantastic cricket being played and what I watched was a grim affair. If it’s collapsing in the top schools with facilities that’s where we need to focus. Anyway no one will listen.
Agreed. I’ve also noticed in the last 3 years the standard has fallen massively. Just all things going same way as Zim as a whole I guess? Down.

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

Let the MCC develop where they feel development is needed let's not be too negative

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

You know things are bad when Zimbabwe is being mentioned in the same cricketing breath as Germany.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Zero76

Post by Zero76 »

German cricket has no future. Having your team entirely built around expats is simply not a sustainable long term strategy. Same goes with places like Hong Kong, without a strong local cricketing culture there is no real scope for talent development.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

strikerlube

Post by strikerlube »

Shit I love reading your stuff googly, really gives me an insight into what's going on on the ground. Cheers for the sweet read yet again.