[Series Thread]: 2018 ICC World Cup Qualifier | Non-Zim Matches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbot

Re: [Series Thread]: 2018 ICC World Cup Qualifier | Non-Zim Matches

Post by zimbot »

Afghanistan win

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm
So an Afghan win makes the picture clearly on potential maximum points each team can earn in the Super 6s (theoretical max is 10).

WI can still bag 8 if they win their remaining 2 which means they probably qualify automatically. But all 3 of their S6 games are tough ones.

SCO will move up to 5 points and top the table right now.
ZIM have to do whatever SCO do, just slightly better to edge them on NRR.

IRE are disadvantaged due to the SCO/ZIM tie. They will need to go one better than both to qualify and are up against it.

AFG have to win their remaining 2 games.
If we beat West Indies it would make things interesting.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm
So an Afghan win makes the picture clearly on potential maximum points each team can earn in the Super 6s (theoretical max is 10).

WI can still bag 8 if they win their remaining 2 which means they probably qualify automatically. But all 3 of their S6 games are tough ones.

SCO will move up to 5 points and top the table right now.
ZIM have to do whatever SCO do, just slightly better to edge them on NRR.

IRE are disadvantaged due to the SCO/ZIM tie. They will need to go one better than both to qualify and are up against it.

AFG have to win their remaining 2 games.
If we beat West Indies it would make things interesting.
Windies would be in a heap of trouble if that happens. They might come out hard in the rest of the games. They had one chance to slip up.

Afghans not out of the woods yet. Yet they can lose to any team (HK!). Still long shots to qualify unless they get an NRR booster as well.

ZIM/SCO in a pretty good position.

IRE are in a pickle as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Scotland could be the dark horse here. They have been doing well so far. Surely they will fancy their chances against Ireland and wobbly legs West Indies. This tournament has been a tournament of sorts. No team can afford to relax at all. Every game is so important.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

WHoa...cricinfo just upated the points table and they have the Windies on 0, meaning theres a possibility no points carry over!

Surely a mistake!!!!????

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yes, surely a mistake. I think this will be the Windies only slip-up, they will be very motivated against us in their next game.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

A funny little tournament we have here.

All of a sudden the Windies need to win their next two matches if they don't want to rely on other results. They have so far mainly depended on their batting and some rescue jobs down the order. They are not immune to dropping one more match, and their NRR is solid but not spectacular.

I don't see Afghanistan qualifying tbh. If there's a qualifying spot up for grabs on six points in the end it will come down to NRR, and theirs isn't good and not likely to improve much.

Here's the official table: https://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-wor ... -standings

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

A win tomorrow will put us in a very good position. The inconsistencies in all the teams playing is making it interesting. Our group came out better because Ireland and the West Indies basically have 3 hard games. We have 2. So you know that if we beat either the West Indies or Ireland we would basically have qualified. If we lose tomorrow then Monday is a knockout game.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Scotland have looked good. If only they were part of the ODI league

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I don't see Afghanistan qualifying tbh. If there's a qualifying spot up for grabs on six points in the end it will come down to NRR, and theirs isn't good and not likely to improve much.

Here's the official table: https://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-wor ... -standings
I don't see AFG qualifying either, but not for that reason. I can't see their batting as strong enough to win 3 from 3 against WI, IRE, and UAE without a slip-up in the middle. Shahzad has always been a hack, but he was at least a hack who could batter Associate attacks (averages 30+ at 90+ strike rate). But he has now been reduced to a poor man's Sibanda, averaging perhaps 10 at a strike rate of 60 or something since his comeback.

But you're wrong to say they won't qualify on NRR. Out of AFG, SCO, ZIM - Afghanistans NRR is not bad at all...they were only 0.300 behind Scotland. They have the bowling lineup to blast any of the teams in this tournament out for 75 all out and boost their NRR.

IRE have the best NRR, but also have to win 2 out of 3 games against a tough set of opponents. IRE could conceivably lose all 3 games. However, the Irish are in form, and they always bring their A game to ICC events. Those 2 qualities can't be understated.

ZIM and SCO are tied on points and have virtually the same NRR. They are literally seperatd by about 10 runs across 100 overs. Thats how close it is.