[MATCH THREAD] ZIM v UAE WCQ

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: [MATCH THREAD] ZIM v UAE WCQ

Post by TapsC »

eugene wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm
This loss is indeed devastating, but I am not going anywhere. I don't think I could ever stop supporting Zimbabwe. If I have made it this far why stop now? Not quite sure where we go from here? Persist with the current group and gradually blood younger players? Cleanout everyone? Fire the coaches? This moment is not the time to make such a decision as emotions need to subside.
I will never go anywhere too. Obviously things need to settle down but at this stage you have think back and look at what went wrong. For me we need a 5 year plan and a change of management. Unfortunately when things go wrong the selectors and coaches have to take the heat. Here is why

From the selectors point of view. You can't change your minds in the final game. How do you put someone into a team to play when you dropped for almost 10 games in a row? What's the selection policy there exactly? I'm not saying he did a bad job but he did exactly what he was expected to do. The reason why PJ doesn't do well in limited overs cricket is that he struggles to rotate the strike. It's blatantly clear. His strike rate is in the 60s and every time he tries to accelerate he gets out. That's why his average is around the 19 mark because that's about the time you start to think boundaries. That does not take a rocket scientist to see. The numbers show that. Analyse them and they will tell you. Batting Ervine at 7 when we all know he is hopeless as a finisher is suicidal. What did they expect?

From a management's point of view. They also have a say in the batting order and selection. It was their call. You guys all said that they should be allowed to pick their side and die by that.well guess what they have well and truly died today. Taibu who is based in the UK must focus on the rising stars and stay there. Streak would make a good bowling coach in my opinion but we need a more tactical head coach who can be neutral and tactical. Streak isn't.

From the players. Most of these guys don't want to be around anyway so if you really want to leave then please give us the next 5 years to work with Burl Tari Blessing Mumba Mavuta Mashinge Ngarava and co. We need a fresh start without guys who constantly fail when it matters. I would personally convince Taylor Raza Williams and Cremer that they can still contribute but the rest for me can leave. Just look at how the UAE have a guy bowling 145kph. Why on earth do we need Jarvis to come and bowl short bowls at 125kph. Chatara looks unfit. We need proper pace bowlers not that nonsense. Hami and Waller can go. Ervine will never recover mentally from today to be honest. He let a whole country down and it wasn't even his fault.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:15 pm
Think back to that diabolical last over Jarvis bowled when it started raining as well.
I was thinking just before he came on to bowl that no matter how well he has bowled throughout the entire match, I wopuldnrt have bowled him at the earth. Even spoimnners would have doen better at this stage: those were tail eneders!

Did we not know enough about Tinashe Pamnyangara and , yes, Jarvis well before his departure in 2013, to know that he is not a good one day bowler, his good first six overs today notwithstanding?

Foolish to choose sentimentality over common wisdom and proven statics.

Taibu and Streak should be shamed they were embarrassed into calling Zhuwao into camp, and today's' dithering is even more shameful. Raza can't do it for you every time.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Sad day. Honestly the world cup would've just papered over the cracks. Need a serious rebuilding project, we're not included in world cup, test championship and FTP - we are basically an Associate in all but name. Let's introduce kids in the A team, play them in intercontinental cup and with time reintroduce domestic cricket. For seniors, no more full time contracts, only occasional ODIs on a pay-as-you-play basis for those that can't move overseas. Alternative is for cricket in Zim to die.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I have to let it sink in and ask questions about what lies ahead in terms of games and funding. That was heart breaking. Am absolutely gutted. That kind of pressure is just too much. It’s not like a WC final, it’s way more than that. You can’t blame anyone here. Craig made a couple of mistakes giving KJ the strike, but you can find blunders from the first ball of the day, that’s how it rolls. I knew we’d run it close, proud of our boys.
We have a real problem up front. Even with hindsight we don’t know how CZ would have gone, but I think he would have struggled to fulfill his “free license,” these guys bowled well up front. That was poor of them to drop him, equally tough to throw PJ in the deep end and he did damned well. Cremer’s wicket showed a bit of panic, he should have nudged it, and how can you blame him?

The turning point was that good catch to dismiss Williams, we were looking good up until then, a brilliant fighting comeback.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The problem is you can't have both PJ and Ervine and Williams in an ODI team. They all need just a little bit of time then they catch up like what Williams did. I will repeat it again. 39 runs in 60 balls leaves us needing to get 191 in 180 balls. That is not a good knock. You can't justify that. Had he tried to swing 20 balls earlier he would give gotten out for maybe 11 runs less. Ervine could have come in. He waited too long. If it was 50 overs maybe yes you can hang around until you get to 50 not when another 60 balls have just been taking off by the rain. That is not a good knock

Googly

Post by Googly »

What happens if tomorrow is rained off?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Of course you can justify that. He got us to the finish line. He was about to pull the trigger, two big hits and you’d have said “wow, great knock!”

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm
The problem is you can't have both PJ and Ervine and Williams in an ODI team. They all need just a little bit of time then they catch up like what Williams did. I will repeat it again. 39 runs in 60 balls leaves us needing to get 191 in 180 balls. That is not a good knock. You can't justify that. Had he tried to swing 20 balls earlier he would give gotten out for maybe 11 runs less. Ervine could have come in. He waited too long. If it was 50 overs maybe yes you can hang around until you get to 50 not when another 60 balls have just been taking off by the rain. That is not a good knock
Dude..they bowled well upfront. U can't neglect that..

Though PJ sucks at strike rotation

PSR
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by PSR »

Googly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:48 pm
What happens if tomorrow is rained off?
We are officially out as Ireland's NRR is > than us

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Afghanistan have more wins. Ireland have a better NRR. It's over

Well he didn't get us over the line. I'm sure everybody is taught that once you have chewed a certain number of deliveries you can't give it away. Had that been Regis knocking it around and blocking and then getting out with his first real shot of intent in that situation people would have been up in arms here. Hard facts