[MATCH THREAD] ZIM v UAE WCQ

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [MATCH THREAD] ZIM v UAE WCQ

Post by Googly »

Solly is miles better than any other openers in our domestic league. He’s getting favour because they know that. They have to keep playing him bexouse rheres no one else and he will go if he’s left out. Then what?
We just have to hope he gets it right. The magic missing mental thing is currently eluding him. It may elude him forever, but he ticks 9/10 boxes. His possible replacements don’t.

Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

Googly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 pm
ICC and the world also got a skewed opinion about the state of our cricket here. They actually think it’s popular. Great days, great vibe, but it’s not part of our DNA. If we’d charged a dollar entrance those stands would have been half full. Sad but true. Nobody bother arguing.
Oh I couldn't agree more. Most of our countrymen have never played the game - how can they enjoy it?

How much was the entry fee? I'm not 'in country.'

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

To be fair, cricket is the second most popular sport in Zim....You will be surprised that kids in high density areas actually playing cricket with sticks for wickets. Not as popular as soccer but I think you under estimate its popularity. Its certainly more widely played than say Rugby and even tennis.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well they don’t play it in the schools much? And what little is played is really poor standard with no pathways with anyone of ability. And believe me it’s taking a knock after today. The real intent of ZC will be seen now. Club and franchise seasons need to be completed. That RS tour needs to go ahead, we need age group tours to be ramped up etc etc. the list is long. I’m not holding my breath. They continue to let us down. I don’t know the way forward after today, it was disastrous for our cricket.
When emotions die down we’ll see where we’re at.
Let’s see our FC and centrally contracted lads get salaries as well. The excuses of how much this has all cost are about to flow.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

Very disappointed but it is really not the end of the world guys, i am now rooting for the Irish because of Mohammed Shahzad!!! Please do not make the arrogant Afghans qualify!!!! Getting back to todays match i think the DWL method has a flaw, how can we bat 8overs less and only get 7 runs removed from our target? Dont you guys think if Raza would have taken that catch at the end we would have had a much better DWL score to deal with?
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Googly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 pm
Well they don’t play it in the schools much? And what little is played is really poor standard with no pathways with anyone of ability. And believe me it’s taking a knock after today. The real intent of ZC will be seen now. Club and franchise seasons need to be completed. That RS tour needs to go ahead, we need age group tours to be ramped up etc etc. the list is long. I’m not holding my breath. They continue to let us down. I don’t know the way forward after today, it was disastrous for our cricket.
Let’s see our FC and centrally contracted lads get salaries as well. The excuses of how much this has all cost are about to flow.
True but its not like other Zim sports do any better, jsut saying. The very fact that Cricket brings international competition and is televised will keep it just as popular as it is now. This feels like the Zim Sables forum after failing to qualify for the World Cup...

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Yea the Sables brain fade in the dying minutes of that Kenya game will be up there with the greatest of all time. But today’s result hurts more and is much more far reaching. We still go through if it’s a tie tomorrow.

celsito

Post by celsito »

I am Die Hard Zimbabwe cricket fan it's been 4 hours now I'm still thinking about that match what went wrong?. I'm not disappointed with the team but I'm feel sorry for the players I wonder what they're going ture and the crowd and also all over the world fans it is very difficult to digest maybe it will take days but I am sure that Zimbabwe cricket board then will start organising good domestic season. I hope ierland will qualify for World Cup not Afghanistan because on Facebook been sending some very irritating messages.

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

People are under estimating the impact of today. A couple of weeks ago ZC was begging for a loan from ICC just to host teams. We don't have money and we won't for a long time until the economy picks up. What will the likes of Taylor be doing in the meantime; more gravely, the likes of PJ Moor and Muzarabani? Unless the government at national level - the President and Cabinet and parliament - decide to fund cricket directly for a short while, what's the way out? But Zim has other sports too, football is more popular, rugby has just as much potential and olympians bring bursts of glory. We also have a history of elite tennis and golf. What about sports in schools? The chances of a president funding cricket selectively are slim to none.

So that leaves organic growth. The world cup would have brought smiles, perhaps sponsors but certainly a bit more sympathy from ICC. That would have looked after this team for a couple more years. That's now out of the window. Now, with scarcity of resources ZC has to prioritise: funding young-stars for tours abroad, reviving domestic cricket or patching the leaks in the current set up.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Trevor wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:47 pm
True but its not like other Zim sports do any better, jsut saying. The very fact that Cricket brings international competition and is televised will keep it just as popular as it is now. This feels like the Zim Sables forum after failing to qualify for the World Cup...
There is a Zimbabwe rugby forum?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes