Should Streak resign?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Should Streak resign?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Cremer's captaincy specifically against the WI and the massively puzzling drops of Zhuwao (and Chisoro too) for the final game did contribute to our non-qualification in the end. If anything, Zhuwao had done (much) better than Mire at the top. And Moor's baffling batting position.

What we need is Raza as skipper. Actually we may need to offer him the captaincy to keep him committed to Zim Cricket. He is hot property now. And we need a full time batting coach instead of the visiting Klusener.

I'm not sure why Streak was giving interview bits about his upcoming IPL stint while he was focusing on the Zim campaign. Possibly too many enthusiastic Indian journalists asking him about KKR and he having to just answer them.

I'd definitely feel good dreaming about the Brent-Raza combo taking us in a better direction, but there have been massive contributions from Streak too. So, he needs to be around for sure. Him and Taibu are invaluable.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I am only comfortable with Streak resigning if there is another serious candidate waiting in the wings, like Andy Flower or Gary Brent. If Streak resigning just leads to another shambolic Mangongo tenure or Chawaguta, Streak can stay.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’m not sure where everyone thinks our centrally contracted players are going any time soon?
I would guess that the nucleus of them are contracted up until the end of 2019. When you’re getting soundly beat you’re hardly hot property. I would think retirements would come before any of them try and go anywhere.
I don’t think any will go to (back to) County and I would doubt if any other FC systems would offer them a better deal than they’re probably on. Our only world class player remains BT. Raza is a free spirit on the field and has been great for us, but I don’t know how good he really is. He’s taken wickets, albeit more with a golden arm as opposed to top class bowling. Technically he’s not that sound as a batter either, he’s just fiercely combative and plays with a wonderful joie de vivre and has been a breath of fresh air. I can’t comment on what he may potentially be like as a captain, my instinct says possibly not.
It’s now more important than ever not to hang our heads.
One can’t say we need to carry on as if we had qualified, because that’s simply not good enough. Our regime was desperate for us to qualify as it would be a doddle to paper over the cracks in our cricket, and the extra money would certainly have been a huge benefit (or whatever portion that would have been used constructively)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Googly wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:32 pm
I’m not sure where everyone thinks our centrally contracted players are going any time soon?
I would guess that the nucleus of them are contracted up until the end of 2019. When you’re getting soundly beat you’re hardly hot property. I would think retirements would come before any of them try and go anywhere.
I don’t think any will go to (back to) County and I would doubt if any other FC systems would offer them a better deal than they’re probably on. Our only world class player remains BT. Raza is a free spirit on the field and has been great for us, but I don’t know how good he really is. He’s taken wickets, albeit more with a golden arm as opposed to top class bowling. Technically he’s not that sound as a batter either, he’s just fiercely combative and plays with a wonderful joie de vivre and has been a breath of fresh air. I can’t comment on what he may potentially be like as a captain, my instinct says possibly not.
It’s now more important than ever not to hang our heads.
One can’t say we need to carry on as if we had qualified, because that’s simply not good enough. Our regime was desperate for us to qualify as it would be a doddle to paper over the cracks in our cricket, and the extra money would certainly have been a huge benefit (or whatever portion that would have been used constructively)
So who on the board or in ZC is still siphoning money? Is the Pakistani chap not cleaning out all of these characters?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Are you wanting me to be hunted down? :lol:
All that stuff aside the system remains stupendously top heavy with people that draw large salaries, do very little, don’t seem very competent, don’t know much about cricket and really don’t seem to care what happens so long as they’re getting their monthly incomes. It’s bureacracy at its finest. I’m sure the new CEO is taking care of the big issues and possibly not focusing on the detail? Who knows what his mandate actually is. The reality is that when you put a lone policeman to oversee an organization of this size, with large sums of money being channeled in various directions there’s not a lot he can do without the co-operation of the existing people. Is it possible to really have it when he’s ostensibly been put there because there’s a question mark over them? A Zim reaction would be “oh really! Let’s see what you do pick up here on our expense sheets!” If that’s their attitude , and I’m not saying it is, he’s got no chance. When someone puts in for a seized lawn mower engine is he going down to the workshops to check?

Here’s the part I don’t get- The ICC have been funding us for years and have known there are a lot of problems, yet only now they’re finally saying - you guys are tearing the arse right out of this and enough is enough, BUT as you were, all stay in situ, but answer to this guy. It’s the same as the audits, they’re either mismanaging or they aren’t. If ICC accepted the audit reports why is there a policeman? If they didn’t then surely Price Waterhouse are a shower of shit? There’s no half way.
Is he here to restructure or is he here just to hold the purse strings? It’s one and the same at the end of the day. You can’t say carry on overspending in the wrong areas but do it wisely and account for every last penny.

It’s practically all ICC money, if they appoint people whom they see fit what are ZC going to say or do? Are they stopping cricket? It’s not their sport, it’s ours, they’re custodians, lest they’ve forgotten, and they’re shit! Every single person gives them a vote of no confidence, but themselves and yet they remain firmly in the driving seat. It’s mind boggling.

What message is ICC actually sending? You can’t half fix the problem. Are they hoping to rehabilitate habitual bad guys and then hand the reins over in 6 months time? :lol: it doesn’t make sense.
The reality is that we’re in a corner and live by their good grace and it’s all falling apart. We’re now not bringing anything to the table and there are countries out there far more deserving than us. If they turn off the taps we disappear without a blip on the radar. They wanted Afghanistan and West Indies and perhaps Ireland and Netherlands to qualify way before us, they either have more players, more followers or are trying much harder and are more accountable. We don’t tick a single box, and it’s about to get a whole lot worse unless we change things right now.

Bear in mind we attained test status and had a comparatively successful run at it when it was run by one lawyer and his secretary part-time out of one office.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:54 pm
Surely a team like the UAE are the sort of opposition Zhuwao would have had done well against? Zhuwao is no good against the big boys, but he could have come out yesterday and bludgeoned a quick 30 or 40 at the top.
Cephas struggled against the likes of Murtagh and McCarthy and Safyan and Wheal and the various Khurrams and Anwars of Hong Kong and Kuwait. Mohammad Naveed would have been licking his lips. Naveed is actually a very decent bowler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Streak should stay. He can work on the young pace attack ZIM have. Needs more time.

I'd make Raza the captain and make Taylor the vice.

As far as Raza's skills. He's the best all-rounder ZIM have got. I'd certainly rate him above guys like Mitchell Santner. He might even be close to a Moeen Ali (at least with the ball). His batting technique is no worse than anyone else in the side, and his spin bowling is arguably even more effective than Cremer's. He single handedly, along with Taylor, kept ZIM in this tournament. Take these two guys out, and ZIM might have not have even made the Super 6s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya imagine our side without BT? As long as he’s at the crease you always believe there’s a chance. I was watching him keep, he’s a damned good keeper as well, he’s just a quality player. I’m not sure how far ahead he finished on the runs leaderboard in this tournament, but it was a lot.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 pm
eugene wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:54 pm
Surely a team like the UAE are the sort of opposition Zhuwao would have had done well against? Zhuwao is no good against the big boys, but he could have come out yesterday and bludgeoned a quick 30 or 40 at the top.
Cephas struggled against the likes of Murtagh and McCarthy and Safyan and Wheal and the various Khurrams and Anwars of Hong Kong and Kuwait. Mohammad Naveed would have been licking his lips. Naveed is actually a very decent bowler.
True but the rest of their bowlers were very ordinary if you ask me. Playing a team with the 3 guys capable of hitting out the ground all playing in your top 6 is very risky. Especially if the other guy (Raza) is also part of the core batting unit. The team against the Windies could bat all the way up to 9. It was more balanced. The selection could have worked but playing Ervine at 7 is ridiculous Even Chisoro would have done a better job there. I want to see more of him actually. He impressed me.

What people don't get is that Cephas was never meant to score a 50. That was not his job. It was the quick start. Scoring 40 in the first 5/6 overs and he has done his job.. Immediately the opposition are on the back foot. That was what he was there for.

Mire has gotten people confused by thinking these guys can bat properly up top. It might take another 3 years before he scores another century if not longer. He has some serious technical issues like his foot movement which is almost non existent sometimes. He only looked good when he was expressing himself. The consolidation is supposed to begin with Hami but he was terrible this tournament. He actually made the top order look bad more than anybody else. It's time to move on from him

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wonder what Solly’s plans are now? Will he soldier on or head back to Australia? I know he didn’t fire but I really like the look of him, he can play. I’ve never seen what a contract looks like, but much depends on what players have signed in terms of fees and time. Would there have been performance clauses in them? There’s not much incentive for ZC to pay on time now so there’s problems coming there. With a WC looming they have to keep the players happy (usually at the expense of the franchise guys), but now I see them claiming this tournament has cost money and now it’s short. The only way to keep proceeding is to keep playing cricket and paying the lads. The only way to do that is to trim the administration back to the bare bones. Based on what I’ve seen elsewhere I don’t believe you need more than half a dozen people administrating in head office. This is where our big problem lies. It’s not even feasible to cut back because the costs of retrenchment here are astronomical.
I think Phil Simmons is still owed huge money by ZC, Inwonder if he popped into the office? :lol: