Best Zimbo with no international cap

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Best Zimbo with no international cap

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just thought of putting up this random thing. Who according to you are those unfortunate Zimbabweans to never get an international cap, but deserved it? Let us stick to post test induction, i.e., 1992.

You can mention those who got ODI caps but not Test caps for those who deserved test caps too, and vice versa as well. But the best would be to highlight those who never got an international look in.

I'm sure we have had this discussion before in different contexts, but this thread would help. And specially those who saw local matches would have good inputs I guess...

The thoughts came about because of the current surge in talent in India. Batsmen like Amol Muzumdar and Devendra Bundela not playing for India ever was sad, but they arrived on scene when the batting lineup was jam packed with legends. Really good spinners like K Gowtham and Shreyas Gopal (a very good batsman too) might never get a look in due to the incumbents and the bench strength.

Have there been such heart breaking stories in Zim Cricket?

foreignfield

Re: Best Zimbo with no international cap

Post by foreignfield »

First name that comes to my mind is Ian Engelbrecht -- although he only had a brief career we do not have many left-arm spinners with a FC career average of 20, at a time when the Flowers and co. where playing in the Logan Cup. Ray Price was already in the team, though, and I think an injury and/or job commitments plus the troubles of the early noughties never saw him fulfil his potential.

Another player who probably would have played for Zim after the exodus of the white players was Wisdom Siziba (RIP), but he also left the country and died prematurely in SA.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Ryan Butterworth? went on the tour to Bangladesh but never got a game.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I’ll mention a couple but these are just from the stats I keep. I never saw them play, so talent & politics aside, they are worth a noting.
Ed Rainsford & Trevor Garwe have the most LC wickets without getting a test call up. They did get ODI recognition.
Tino Mutumdodzi ( no tests but ODIs) & Kevin Kasuza have been around a while & certainly had positive comments in the last 12 months. Kasuza has yet to get a call up in any format.
Going right back, Donald Campbell was a LC stalwart without any honours. Mind you, as a keeper, he was behind Andy Flower & Wayne James. His batting wasn’t really up to scratch.
I’ll throw in Trevor Penney. He played in the inaugural LC fc season & returned at the same time as Goodwin, Johnson & Huckle were recruited. I know he had a solid county cricket career so I don’t know if that was compromised if he gained international honours.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, Penney obviously in the top rank.

But with no availability issues, Kasuza is a decent pick for this one.

jward

Post by jward »

Yes, Trevor Penney could not have played for Zimbabwe without compromising his county career. But he used to come back during the English off-season, play and coach, and bring plenty of scarce and much-needed cricket equipment with him. Unlike Graeme Hick, who as far as I know after walking out on Zimbabwe cricket never lifted a finger to help cricket in the country which had given him such a brilliant start in the game.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, hard to look beyond Trevor Penney for this one.

I did get reminded of Ryan Butterworth too. I have always had a soft corner for Admire Manyumwa in this regard as well. And what about Brighton Mugochi?

And yes, someone like Edward Rainsford not getting a test cap is criminal.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I'm looking more towards under 19 stars who gave it away

Malcolm Lake
Andy Durham
Glen Querl*
Dylon Higgins
Kuda Samunderu
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Ed Rainsford not getting a test cap is outrageous. Sean Davies who played 4 ODIs in 1996, including at the CWC would have done well in tests also. He seemingly didn't get on with the senior figures in the side and walked away from Zimbabwean cricket.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-to ... d=10949478
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:35 am
I'm looking more towards under 19 stars who gave it away

Malcolm Lake
Andy Durham
Glen Querl*
Dylon Higgins
Kuda Samunderu
But most of them had to turn out for the franchises long enough to get to contention first. As things stand, they did not first make a case for themselves for national selection, so not as heartbreaking as say a Penney, Butterworth, Mugochi, Manuymwa or Engelbrecht.

Definitely heard a lot about Durham and Samunderu though. They possibly did have what it took to be in the top league. Querl fizzled out due to his own chucking issues anyway.

What do people think about the Soma brothers and Neeten Chouhan? They must have been good enough for some ODI caps at least?