Best Zimbo with no international cap

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Best Zimbo with no international cap

Post by eugene »

Doesn't quite meet the criteria, but it is a shame Andy Waller only played two tests for Zimbabwe, despite playing 39 ODIs.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:05 pm
Doesn't quite meet the criteria, but it is a shame Andy Waller only played two tests for Zimbabwe, despite playing 39 ODIs.
True. But that will open up a can of worms. Many cases like that. Barney Rogers, Sean Ervine, Niel Ferreira, Brighton Watambwa, Everton Matambanadzo, Trevor Madondo ... Even Wayne James for that matter.

So, some of these cases came to my mind when framing the original post, but kept them out to unearth those who were completely unlucky.

eugene

Post by eugene »

The difference with Waller is that his career wasn't cut short by political upheaval, he just seemingly never made the test cut.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Wasnt it ozias bvute who called time on neil ferrairs career in 2005 along with wishart and carlisle? I seem to remember a article

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Rogers was also badly burnt by ZC. He committed at a time when players were striking left right and center and he was eventually just thrown out in the cold

eugene

Post by eugene »

Rogers did well as an opener which makes his loss all the more bad.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am
Butterworth, I reckon.
Alan Butcher said, in his book, that they took Butterworth to Bangladesh in 2010 based on his domestci T20 and Coca Cola Pro 50 form. I think, if i remember correctly, that the reason they didn't select him was due to how he looked in the nets. Butcher actaully said that they soon realised he wasn't international material, and he was quickly discarded.

It's a shame but if the head coach doesn't rate you then there's absolutely no chance of getting selected I guess.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Probably the unluckiest of all the guys who did get a cap was Roy Kaia. Got a chance to play in that one ODI in the high risk Pakistan tour of 2015. Did not get to bowl when Pak batted, and the malfunctioning flood lights at Lahore meant that the Zim innings was cut short after 9 overs and he never had to come out to bat either. And never got anywhere near the squad after that. His selection into the playing XI that day was in itself a surprising move but was forced by a few last minute injuries I suppose.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 pm
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am
Butterworth, I reckon.
Alan Butcher said, in his book, that they took Butterworth to Bangladesh in 2010 based on his domestci T20 and Coca Cola Pro 50 form. I think, if i remember correctly, that the reason they didn't select him was due to how he looked in the nets. Butcher actaully said that they soon realised he wasn't international material, and he was quickly discarded.

It's a shame but if the head coach doesn't rate you then there's absolutely no chance of getting selected I guess.
Ya but he’s right, I know cricket is not played in the nets, but you can see in a few deliveries if someone has the capacity to go up a level.
I can see if a Junior is going to be half decent by how he puts his pads on and how he holds his bat when he’s walking into the net.