Post Retirement: What do you want to see them as?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post Retirement: What do you want to see them as?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

For the current crop of players, what career in cricket do you want them to consider after they hang up their boots / are made to hang their boots up?

Vusi: He has already tried commentary - and hasn't come across as very confident, but I would love to see him as an umpire though.
Mawoyo: Absolutely anything - right from commentary to the chairman of the ZC board. He would be a gem in whatever he takes up.
BT: Coaching. This is a no-brainer. He can inspire thousands in Zim if he becomes a coach locally and unearths some batting gems.
Hamilton: Would love to hear him more, he is very lively and insightful - so commentary. Otherwise, may be he could be the heir apparent to Andy Pycroft as a Match Referee.
Waller: Fitness trainer?
Williams: Could be our next Russel Tiffin :). He would love to officiate in matches with his good friend Vusi for sure.

I really don't see Elton or Craig continuing to do anything with Cricket once they leave the game (that's just my gut feeling), so can't think of a good role for them.

Wait, may be Ervine could be a pitch curator, preparing some good wickets for the next generation in Zim? A quiet thankless job...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Post Retirement: What do you want to see them as?

Post by eugene »

Ervine could be a selector.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Being in commentary doesn't actually help the cricket in any way.

Guys would be useful as selectors, youth coaches, talent scouts, pitch curation, even team management.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Hami should be in some sort of welcoming/diplomatic role.

I agree with Eugene - get Ervine into selection.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Hami could be a scout looking for talent throughout the country.

He could also run his own batting coaching clinics around ZIM. Thats if he's not better suited in some other role. Often mediocre players make excellent coaches and vice versa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I'd love to see Hami, Vusi, BT and Taibu leading the game forward, those 4 guys for me are the faces of a generation who had their career's plagued by poor and at times criminal administration. I feel these men have the love for the game to push it forward in the right manner and will always have the games best interests at heart.

Tino Mawoyo is another guy who we need involved in some way.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bring back Ellman Brown with sweeping powers and ZC will function, anyone else is basically a waste of time.
If you’re talking coaching roles for these guys then they need some certificates to make it all plausible, they’ve had enough free time to become doctors, lawyers and astronauts, yet I doubt too many of them even have a level 2.
Mr Campbell dampened my enthusiasm for ex cricketers getting into administration other than in an ambassadorial capacity and they’d have to be on a short leash.
All these people in the wings thinking they’ve got something to contribute as board members and administrators are thieves in waiting. One man- Ellman Brown with powers to shoot anyone that steals so much as a cricket ball, we’ve become a nation of thieves.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

In a better world (with a fully functioning and uncorrupted cricket board) I'd like to see Hami as face and figure-head of ZC. In the real world I wish he'd go into coaching juniors, together with BT.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You don’t need these guys as junior coaches, a junior coach is a guy who’s prepared to do repetitive stuff properly and motivate youngsters to practice. Both BT and Hami are talented but lazy MF’s :lol: , a junior coach is a hard working fellow. Every decent coach knows what to say to kids, the trick is finding the guy who will waste years on one boy who may have the goods. That’s what I always like to say to a coach- show me your best kid that you’ve exclusively coached, not one that you spent twenty minutes with and you’re now claiming ownership of- I see that all the time. There’s not one such relationship in the whole of Zim. BT and Hami are so experienced, particularly at getting beaten (with respect, let me finish :lol: ) that they would have so much to contribute in helping better players with the mental aspect of the game. Taylor, in particular, must be very tough mentally, imagine going out to bat way too early nine out of ten times and know that you’re once again what stands between winning and losing. That has to get to you, and BT does it well. Look at his performances in the last WC and then these qualifiers. He’s a helluva talented guy in every dept.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I get that. I was thinking more of a guiding role, not necessarily throwing balls 48 hours a day to 13-year-olds. But yes, you first need someone else to do the hard yards before there are any youngsters to mentor/guide.