Here's a thought...

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Here's a thought...

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I was thinking about this over the last month or so. The non-qualification to the CWC is a kind of a milestone in itself, may be not in the right direction, but a major mark of identification over the modern history of Zimbabwean Cricket. And invariably, this meant that all those wonderful moments we have enjoyed over the years where the Zim teams of the past and present have tasted success flashed past my eyes, even without trying to remember only the good times.

So, it's been over 25 years of following Zim Cricket as a fan for me, learning more and more about the intricacies and the plights of a Zim cricketer over the years, aided primarily through the sources shared on these forums too, and I started wondering if there is a place anywhere for a book about the last 3 decades of Zimbabwean cricket through a fan's eyes, through the times of lack of technology, through the times of lack of information especially in a growing economy like India in the 1990s, to the times of information overload, sometimes, of say, identifying the fortunes of a Freedom Takarusenga or a Reginald Nehonde.

I would probably have some time later this year to seriously give this a thought, of writing a book of my tryst with Zim cricket (with obviously at least one chapter dedicated to Guy Whittall) but is it worth the effort? Would anybody be willing to give it a flip through? What do you folks think? May be I could resurrect my pencil-sketching skills after decades too, and add some of those portraits in the book if they come out to be good...

In these days of self-publishing etc., if it becomes a super-successful bestseller ( :lol: :lol: ), may be part of the proceeds could go towards the plans zimbos_05 had floated sometime back - towards probably supporting some youngster's cricket journey in the country.

Tall order, but still... let me know your thoughts.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Here's a thought...

Post by Jemisi »

I'd be happy to help out by reading it. I'd be happy to offer sentence shaping feedback.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 am
I'd be happy to help out by reading it. I'd be happy to offer sentence shaping feedback.
Ditto. Only caveat is that although I work as an editor/copy-editor I do all that work in German; but I've some experience proofreading English.

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

It really costs very little if anything if you publish on Amazon.
I have a book or two on Amazon and it's easy peasey. So yes get it done!

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Yes and happy to help out where needed
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 am
Jemisi wrote:
Ditto. Only caveat is that although I work as an editor/copy-editor I do all that work in German; but I've some experience proofreading English.
A German version could be released also! There is presumably a sizable market for books about Zimbabwean cricket in Germany and Austria.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Indeed. Make sure you have a decent stats section. Those Austrians love their stats.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I hope there will be an entire chapter devoted to Ujesh Ranchod.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

rusty17
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rusty17 »

eugene wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 am
Decent one and only test wicket, Sachin Tendulkar

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
foreignfield wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:17 am
Thank you! That would be of great help!
jimmylesaint wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 am
It really costs very little if anything if you publish on Amazon.
I have a book or two on Amazon and it's easy peasey. So yes get it done!
Yes, hopefully...
jaybro wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am
Yes and happy to help out where needed
Thanks!
Jemisi wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 am
Indeed. Make sure you have a decent stats section. Those Austrians love their stats.
Hmm, that's interesting. I wasn't thinking of stats at all... May be you can contribute there too :)
eugene wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 am
:lol: definitely a chapter for people like him - quiz question favorites...