Zimbabwe Cricket Stats Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Stats Quiz

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:33 am
Well, this must have been some knock:
Glen Barrett burst on the cricket scene in Zimbabwe when, just short of his 23rd birthday, he not only scored a century on his first-class debut, but did so off only 54 deliveries, hit 13 sixes in the match, and came within 20 runs of making it two centuries in the match. The feat was achieved for the CFX Academy against Manicaland at Mutare Sports Club, and few cricketers anywhere have made such an impact on debut.
So, Glen Barrett is another of those debut centurions.
Yeah, I remembered that but couldn't couldn't remember the name.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Sorry to jump in while we are still looking for two Logan Cup debut hundreds but this question by TapsC elsewhere today also belongs here:
Also expect to see Elton back in the fold under this new selection panel.

Just looked at his record. He has played over 550 games across all formats. I wonder who holds the record for Zimbabwe. Hami has over 570. Andy Flower over 620
My guess is Murray Goodwin with 1026.

Can anyone better that?

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Yep, let's make it the next question.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

1000 List A runs for both Musakanda and Burl in the same match now. Took 46 and 47 matches respectively. They can look up to Hammy and BRMT with 10000+ and 9000+ List A runs respectively - that's the journey they must minimally target.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

An 8 fer !

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Probably time for clues to the debut centurions question so we can move on to the next one.
The first unidentified centurion, I believe was the first in LC history(remember, since 1993/4). It occurred in one of the most remarkable matches.
A father & son played together- I imagine that to be a record too. Also, it saw the end to the FC career of one of Zimbabwe's stalwarts of the 70s & 80s.
And there was a unique(to that point in time) batting performance by a player in the same match.
The second unidentified centurion is English born & only played county cricket after debuting in the LC. His team won the match after forfeiting their second innings. He registered a second century later in the season &, to date, has played more LC games than county games.
See if that helps.

rusty17
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rusty17 »

Would the second one be Peter Burgoyne?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

OK, Heath and Denis Streak playing together and Wayne James getting 99 and 99* (+ 9 dismissals in an innings) pretty much sealed it. Although I knew Jason Oates had a hundred, never realized it was on FC debut.

So, this completes the elite list then...

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Correct on both accounts. The list being:
Oates
Kasteni
Barrett
Mawudzi
Ngulube
Burgoyne
& Byrom (whom I missed)
Further to the Oates game, this match was the final of the Logan Cup on 19-21 April,1996. The preliminary rounds were played between September & December 1995. Then Zimbabwe toured NZ & them competed in the WC in February/ March.
Paul Strang, Brandes, Andy Waller, Gut Whittal & Charlie Lock all played in the WC but didn't play in the Final. Neither did Mbangwa or Olonga. All these players were regulars during the season & whose teams were in the final.
Oates & Denis Streak were amongst several players plucked from the sidelines to play in the most important LC match of the season. Some picked for their only game of the season. My point being even in the best of times, it seems to have been a struggle to organise the LC around international commitments. I imagine most of those not appearing in the final were playing professionally elsewhere.
Robin Brown was the stalwart who played his last game in the final. He reappeared after 5 years. Stephen Peall was in the WC squad & also bowed out after the final.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Score update -

foreignfield : 9
CrimsonAvenger : 9
cricket_22001 : 6.5
rusty17: 4.5
Jemisi : 2
MidWest Rhinos, eugene : 1

1 to Crimson and 0.5 to rusty17 for Q33, am I right?