Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by jaybro »

If Afghanistan can find 6 good batsman they'll beat anyone on their day

They have 1 in Rahmat but they need a few more
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 am
If Afghanistan can find 6 good batsman they'll beat anyone on their day

They have 1 in Rahmat but they need a few more
Apart from India and maybe South Africa, I can't think of a team that has 6 "good" batsmen. Hehe.

Nabi is good tho. In fact I think he's just as good as Rahmat. Part of the reason Afghanistan hasn't done as well in ODIs is because Nabi bats at #6. Yes he's a legit all-rounder, but thats precisely why he should bat at 4. He's a genuine all-rounder and can bat anywhere (asides from opening). Too often people think an all rounder is like a Shahid Afridi or Daniel Vettori...ie a bowler who can hold a bat, but not necessarily a genuine batter.

Rashid has untapped batting skills as well. Still very young, but he has the potential to be a 30 average bat. Stanikzai I think is suited to the longer version (still don't rate him). But the Afghans need to bring younger guys into their Test team if they want to avoid embarassing themselves like Bangladesh did until 2010. But they have to know that playing a team with an average age of 24 is going to be painful - possibly for years - but the eventual payout is developing a decent competitive team.

Rahmat
Nabi
Rashid

Those are the top Afghan batsmen in terms of skills and and talent. Shahzad makes the list too, but he's too much of a blind slogger to be dependable, granted he did engineer a near 500 run fourth innings chase (vs Canada). Thats simply not enough batting to last against even a pedestrian Test bowling attack. Don't be surprised if the Afghans have the lowest team batting average of the 12 Test nations once they've played 10 Tests, regardless of the strength of the opposition.

Now if they debut some younger domestic batters, things could change. Bottom line, eventually the Afghans will be a force to reckon with. They have the mental toughness, they just need the time before their skills with bat and ball catch up.

Oh yeah and their seam attack is pathetic (more so with Dawlat out injured).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

South Africa aren't that much better than Australia at batting IMO, they're just lucky they don't have to face their own bowlers lol

Losing AB hurts them a lot, he was their best batsman, you can't replace a guy like him over night.

Don't be surprised to see Markram move down the order to bat @ 4 in the near future.

I still am not convinced by Bavuma either.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 am
South Africa aren't that much better than Australia at batting IMO, they're just lucky they don't have to face their own bowlers lol

Losing AB hurts them a lot, he was their best batsman, you can't replace a guy like him over night.

Don't be surprised to see Markram move down the order to bat @ 4 in the near future.

I still am not convinced by Bavuma either.
Yeah minus AB, SA's batting is going to be a lot weaker. Amla is not what he was. You're right. India is pretty much the only decent batting side you'd have to say. Will be interesting to see how they do in England. If they fail, it means every team can only bat either at home or on flat tracks.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 am

Yeah minus AB, SA's batting is going to be a lot weaker. Amla is not what he was. You're right. India is pretty much the only decent batting side you'd have to say. Will be interesting to see how they do in England. If they fail, it means every team can only bat either at home or on flat tracks.
India proved in South Africa they can handle fast bowling well enough to win a Test match against the Best attack in their won conditions.

Although it pains me to say India are the best all round Test nation in the World.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:50 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 am

India proved in South Africa they can handle fast bowling well enough to win a Test match against the Best attack in their won conditions.

Although it pains me to say India are the best all round Test nation in the World.
I would concur. India look to be the best Test side in the world right now. I had a rankings scheme which I haven't updated in ages, and India would probably be near the top if not at the top in that. But I'm not sure. Maybe I should update it sometime soon.

However, that win in SA was on a minefield of a pitch. It was the pace bowling version of a rank turner. Just as a rank turner will make (m)any spin bowler look like Shane Warne, a rank seamer can do the same too. Playing on a rank turner evens the contest up. Bangladesh was able to beat England and Australia on rank turners as it evened the contest out. I think that wicket backfired on SA by lessening the gap between their pace attack and India's. On a standard greentop it would likely have been 3-0 to SA instead of 2-1.

Now if India goes onto win 2 in England, or draw 3 or more, I'd have to reassess the above statement. Provided both teams have full strength sides.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You're assuming quite a lot there Kriterion

In the end of the day India were very competitive in South Africa and won a Test, I can't see South Africa doing the same in India especially without AB.

South Africa got shown up in England as well, so I really don't think they have any claims to being the best 'All Round' Test Side.

England have shown they're feeble away from home and also very beatable at home.

Australia have actually beaten India, South Africa and England away from home so I'd say they'd be close to the second best side, maybe Pakistan who have won Tests in England and drawn the last two series can also lay claim, although they've been hopeless in South Africa & Australia.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 pm
You're assuming quite a lot there Kriterion

In the end of the day India were very competitive in South Africa and won a Test, I can't see South Africa doing the same in India especially without AB.

South Africa got shown up in England as well, so I really don't think they have any claims to being the best 'All Round' Test Side.

England have shown they're feeble away from home and also very beatable at home.

Australia have actually beaten India, South Africa and England away from home so I'd say they'd be close to the second best side, maybe Pakistan who have won Tests in England and drawn the last two series can also lay claim, although they've been hopeless in South Africa & Australia.
Yeah I don’t like to admit it, and would ridiculed the suggestion even a year ago, but India are the #1 Test side. Totally agree.

BUT, I remain skeptical of that one dead rubber win in SA. To me that match was exactly like Bangladesh’s two Test wins from the last couple years. bangladesh is NOT better than England or Australia. We just match up well on turning pitches with nothing in it for quicks (although the Fizz and Cummins both did well). But we got our asses handed to us by a much weaker SL team in those same conditions.

SA (and England) were winless in India. True. But India laid out rank turners. SA from what I read - dished out one sporting track, a dead track that Morkel complained about, and one minefield. So India had more friendly conditions than SA did.

Which is why this England tour will be a litmus Test.

PAK only wins in England for some reason. Maybe the home crowd factor lol. But why can’t they win in NZ,
Forgetting about Australia or SA. I think they just match up well with/in England. Like how Bangladesh always manages to win ODIs in Cardiff, against all odds (hope the streak continues for a 3-peat next summer!).

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Test series in caribbean will be a stern test, but one I'm excited to watch. I'll likely miss the first 2 days play as I'm out of town visiting my sisters and will be driving back home from the Baltimore-Washington area.

Absolute shittiest Test squad named by the selectors. Rubel Hossain with a Test average of 80 gets picked and will likely make the XI, but a guy with a career FC batting average of 68 (Mosaddek) can't be picked because he's captaining the A side in a game vs Sri Lanka.

At any rate, the ODI side picked is probably our best at the moment.

Test team will struggle to pick wickets unless the pitches turn. Only hope we have is our experienced batters, but Gabriel and Roach and Holder are in killer form right now. Anything less than a series draw, and West Indies will jump ahead of us on the rankings. Good thing the rankings will be reset permanently next year for the WTC.

Here's to hoping for the best.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

35-8 currently.

Jesus