Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
TapsC

Re: Bangladesh Watch 2015-2019

Post by TapsC »

43 all out. Wow

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Was really hoping we'd get to about 70 odd. I think this is the lowest total in the past 20 years.

This was so bad I don't even think you can call it a collapse :lol:

Bowlers being crap as usual, but while I'm pleased to see Nurul behind the stumps, he dropped a regulation catch. He's gonna have to take a blinder to make up flr that. But he does seem to have stopped a lot of byes and leg byes tha Mushfiq and Das would missed due to their shorter reaches.

Also surprised to see Jayed moved the ball prodigously both ways. Not surprised to see him trundling in at 125 clicks though. Did beat the bat more than any of our other so called seamers. He might have a role in the side moving forward as I can't remember the last time we had a bowler who actually swung a cricket ball.

Good thing I'll be driving tomorrow too. By the time I can tune in, the Windies should have declared and our batsmen should be lining up for some more pain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Commiserations. Are the Windies improving, I wonder?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Honestly, I'm shocked. But that itself is probably ill-placed because after 15 years of following Bangladesh cricket, only a very naive person would be shocked by anything. You name it, and its not out of reach.

But this is probably something that was bound to happen given the relative short sightedness of the cricketing powers that be. This pitch was not unplayable (but not as flat as the South African wickets on which we also crumbled last year). Nor was it a 400 run wicket. We ended up doing both for obvious reasons namely we can't bat and we have no pace attack.

Now the real question is why can't we bat and why don't we have any pacers. Asides from the fact that Bangladesh is not a very good cricketing nation - which there is nothing you can do about - you are what you are; there are systemic failures all over the system. I've mentioned them before on this forum and probably on this very thread. Without getting into too much detail, focusing too much on T20 cricket and practically ignoring the longer version has led to this point. The BPL is now the be all and end all for Bangladesh. The A team is virtually non-existant. One series vs a Sri Lanka or West Indies every 2 years is nothing when the Indian A team plays several series against A teams from England, South Africa, and Australia every season.

The main problem is there has been absolutely no planning whatsoever. Why was the current BD-SL A team tour scheduled concurrently with this series? Had it been a month earlier (weather is still shit) we'd have some idea of which fast bowlers might do well on tour instead of picking useless guys like Rubel and Rabbi and limited has-beens like Shafiul. Mosaddek could have gotten into enough form to force his way into the XI (scored 135 in his only innings in current A team series) instead of a limited batter like Mahmudullah.

As for the Windies, they are a much improved side as proven by their wins in England and vs PAK in the UAE. But they are still inconsistent and they'd have been thrashed by a team like Australia in these exact conditions. Still, the WI finally have a bunch of talented Test cricketers who actually want to play rather than a bunch of T20 divas, and that can only be a good thing.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah they seem to be putting some guys on the park that actually have a bit of steel.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I would like to think even Zimbabwe could have put up a better effort against the Windies.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:46 pm
I would like to think even Zimbabwe could have put up a better effort against the Windies.
They would definitely have scored more than 43 in the first innings.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

This Sabina Park wicket is quite similar to a typical subcontinent track. No grass, turning quite a bit even on day 1. I predict this will become a minefield by days 4 and 5 if we get that far.

There are very few excuses if Bangladesh don't bat well here. 350-400 at least, more if the Windies rack up well in excess of 500. Granted we got 2 of the most friendly surfaces in SA and failed miserably with the bat in 3 out of 4 innings. And the Antigua surface was anything but unplayable. Merely a very good sporting wicket.

Apart from the continued presence of Mahmudullah - who as the newly appointed vice captain will probably be hard to dislodge - this is Bangladesh's best batting lineup at 1-8. There is no dearth of experience either so these guys need to step up as its been a while since they've shown some fight.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Bangladesh has regressed badly over the past couple of years. We were never competitive overseas, but we used to put up some resistence. However, I think this batting lineup is about as strong as it can be. We just need to drop Mahmudullah for good and its pretty much our best top 8 at the moment.

Bowling wise Jayed did better than I had expected he would. But he's ideally a 3rd seamer and not the spearhead of an attack. The spinners bowled fairly well for the most part, but you have to remember the Windies don't play spin well at all.

Despite the shambolic performances, I doubt Steve Rhodes is thinking of making too many wholesale changes.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

I hope it is more a case of WI improving. I can't believe the BD batsmen have gone this far backwards.