Malcolm Waller pulls out from the odi series against Pakistan

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Malcolm Waller pulls out from the odi series against Pakistan

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 am
Are there no talents of any meaningful substance at Under 19 level?
Don't forget about that young bloke Nathaniel with family connections to Rainbow CC, still a teenager and has a dozen centuries to his name! But his strong suit is his fast bowling, he can hit yorkers with such consistency, and at such speeds (140+) - just imagine if he has a few extra years in the system. You know how people shorten names, so he's just known as Thaniel to his mates. I am of course talking about our next prodigal son, Thaniel Jakiel.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Was Hick a real prodigious talent? He never really did it for England when he did play

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Was Hick a real prodigious talent? He never really did it for England when he did play

My short answer to that is yes. But only up to a point, I suppose.
Between 1991 & 1996 Hick was averaging just short of 40 in tests for England, being particulary consistent between 1994-96, In his last 23 test (40 innings) he fell away badly averaging less than 20 to bring his average to around 31.
In 1990/91 he played for Queensland & I saw him score 155 at the SCG. He scored about 800 runs for Queensland that year with 3 centuries. He oozed talent with plenty of time to play shots. It was class. On top of that, he played in NZ for Northern DIstricts in 1987/88 & 1988/89 & scored over 2000 runs in 17 games with 10 centuries at nearly 80. He was rewriting Plunket Shield records.
All this was part of an education to prepare him for international cricket. Australia WAS worried.
The reasons for his not being a test match superstar are many. The 7 year wait to qualify for England, confronting the Windies first up & an in form Curtly Ambrose & in 1994/95, not batting quickly enough for Michael Atherton in Sydney with his captain declaring England's innings with Hick on 98. I remember the gutted look on Hick on my TV screen that Atherton didn't let him get to his milestone. But of course the result was more important.
Remember, Hick was part of the 1983 World cup squad at 17. When England saw him in 1985,at 19 years old, they convinced him to swap over. (Zimbabwe had a FC tour of England & he was the batting star). He was advised not to be part of the WC campaign of 87/88 because it may compromise his qualification period. Hence he was in NZ. Even NZ tempted him as they said their qualification period was only 4 years. But in England, he was guaranteed wealth.
Ce la vie

Googly

Post by Googly »

20 year career.
526 FC games
41000 runs
136 hundreds
158 50’s
High score 405.
Arguably the greatest county player in history.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Mark Ramprakash must surely challenge for the title of best county player ever. Ramps was always a favourite of mine to watch.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

461 games
35000 runs
53 average
114 hundreds
147 fifties
301 high score

Indeed, incredible player. Debuted same game as Hick and also didn’t do quite as well as expected on the international stage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ramprakash

Googly

Post by Googly »

I also remember him on Strictly Come Dancing, I see he could have been a pro footballer as well.
They talk highly of Vince as a talented guy. I don’t know if you saw Bairstow last night? Jeez what a player. I was watching Buttler on one of those Masterclass shows, he’s incredible, he was doing some range hitting and sending it into the top of the stands effortlessly. The way he hits Yorkers off the middle of his bat is amazing. They have so many prolific batters that there was talk of wondering where Root would fit in their T20 line up!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think Gooch has them both covered but Hick was very special. Flawed yes, but 60000+ runs is so so many.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I was giving FC stats
581 games
45000 runs
49 ave
128/217 hundreds and fifties
333 HS
Ya another legend