2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sam_ahm

Re: 2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

Post by sam_ahm »

Sri Lanka get knocked out in the first round losing to both Bangladesh and Afghanistan!! How far have the Afghans come!!!

This is really embarrassing for the 1996 World Champions.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Afghanistan really are the real deal.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Mr Twig wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 pm
Afghanistan really are the real deal.
Yes, but they need more consistency. They're like a carbon copy of the BD team.

This same real deal side almost missed out on the Super 6 stage of the qualifiers. They even had a last over choke against Zimbabwe just like BD.

But they are a fun team to watch. Much more entertaining than Sri Lanka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Afghanistan are a good side because they fight and compete to the very end and play as a unit.

Looking at their side only Rashid Khan & Mujeeb are world class players but the rest of the side play their roles and in every game someone steps up with the bat. Their seam bowlers are not as dangerous as they were in the early days of Afghan cricket but Naib & Alam do their jobs well.

They remind me of the Zim side from the late 90's a couple of world class players surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to compete and test themselves against the Best in the world.

Credit to them
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 am
Afghanistan are a good side because they fight and compete to the very end and play as a unit.

Looking at their side only Rashid Khan & Mujeeb are world class players but the rest of the side play their roles and in every game someone steps up with the bat. Their seam bowlers are not as dangerous as they were in the early days of Afghan cricket but Naib & Alam do their jobs well.

They remind me of the Zim side from the late 90's a couple of world class players surrounded by a bunch of guys who want to compete and test themselves against the Best in the world.

Credit to them
I hope Rahmat Shah goes on to be world class. Nabi would be on that list but hes already 33.

They actually almost batted well today (still had a mini collapse). They play BD on Thursday and that is going to be one hell of a game.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 am

I hope Rahmat Shah goes on to be world class. Nabi would be on that list but hes already 33.

They actually almost batted well today (still had a mini collapse). They play BD on Thursday and that is going to be one hell of a game.
Rahmat is easily their best batsman I really like him but as you kind of eluded to he isn't world class yet. Nabi should be batting higher in the order IMO, especially now he isn't their No.1 or 2 spin bowler, he should be taking more responsibility and bat higher.

Asghar Afghan really pisses me off, the guy is a hack absolutely hopeless cant bat for shit, but he's a great leader and they fall apart without him there.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 am

Asghar Afghan really pisses me off, the guy is a hack absolutely hopeless cant bat for shit, but he's a great leader and they fall apart without him there.
Maybe the change in name will bring about a concurrent change in batting form? :D

Yeah Rahmat is the most complete batsman they have, but he's not quite world class yet. He played a top innings today, but you really have to kick on for a triple digit score when you are 72 off 90 like he was today.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Why did he change his name?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 am
Why did he change his name?
I have no idea. However, I think "Stanikzai" is a Pashtun tribal name, ie not a family name or a personal name although it might get used as such on documents like passports, birth certificates, etc. I'm sure you've noticed that the Afghan team has a lot of Zadrans. Zadran is another Pashtun tribe and hence why so many players have that name. If you recall Mujeeb was originally called Mujeeb Zadran and then just after his debut (or maybe just before it) his name changed to Mujeeb ur Rahman. So I don't think any of these are official name changes, they are just edits done arbitrarily I would assume.

Way back in the day Shakib Al Hasan was originally known as "Saquibul Hasan" all the way up until a year or so after his debut. His name has never changed, its just a difference in how Bangladeshis pronounce it. There are still people who call him "Saquib" rather than "Shakib". Mehidy Hasan Miraz is another one. Originally he was "Mehedi" with both being unusual transliterations of what is a very common name in Bangladesh usually spelled as "Mehdi".

grant

Post by grant »

Hong Kong on the verge of causing an upset against India!