2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Kriterion_BD

Re: 2018 Asia Cup (in UAE)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Afghans finish the Super 4s with 1 tie and 2 losses. Could easily have won all 3 games had they scored 10 runs more across the 3 games. Must be disappointed to leave with 0 wins especially given how flawed BD, PAK, and even IND have been.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I feel they've made massive strides in this tournament, beating Sri Lanka & BD plus coming close in all three Super 4 Matches. Their batting has improved big time, they're now making 250 consistently against good attacks, Hashmutallah looks a real good player and someone who can be relied on, with Rahmat they have a solid pairing @ 3 & 4.

I can't see Zimbabwe beating them anytime soon.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 pm
I feel they've made massive strides in this tournament, beating Sri Lanka & BD plus coming close in all three Super 4 Matches. Their batting has improved big time, they're now making 250 consistently against good attacks, Hashmutallah looks a real good player and someone who can be relied on, with Rahmat they have a solid pairing @ 3 & 4.

I can't see Zimbabwe beating them anytime soon.
Yeah I'm surprised about Afghanistan's batting this tournament. Their lowest score I think was 246-7 that they got against BD. Now ordinarily if Afghanistan was posting 250+ I'd say "yeah but these are surely 350 wickets". But no team has scored much beyond 250 barring India once, but that doesn't count as it was against Hong Kong's bowling attack.

Impressed with Afghanistan's batting but more so their relentless spirit.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Heartening to see Afghanistan's performance in this tournament.

High time teams like Zimbabwe, Ireland, Scotland consistently push thwse bigger teams like afghans. I'm expecting better things from Zim now that Taylor and almost all other key players are back barring Blessing who won't be around anyways.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Well done Bangladesh into the final

Would be great to see them beat India

Although from a Zimbabwe point of view it’s unfortunate they’re in such good form ahead of the tour

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 am

Although from a Zimbabwe point of view it’s unfortunate they’re in such good form ahead of the tour
Thanks Jay.

Tamim will definitely miss the ODI leg (blessing in disguise as we badly need to find an opener that can score more than 10 runs per innings...since you guys don't need him anymore, can you just give us Vusi and let us make in an honorary Bangladeshi?). I hope he's back for the Tests, but he's fractured some shit and you never know how long the rehab takes.

Shakib will likely miss the entire tour and possibly the Windies series afterwards as well. We won't need him for the ODIs, and I hope we don't need him for the WI Tests either, but with our brittle batting, you can never rest easy.

But we just beat the [overrated IMO] full strength PAK team without either of those guys (beat NZ in 2010 without Tamim, and WI in 2012 without Shakib)...so we should still be a competitive outfit at home by the time Taylor and Co come by to visit.

Btw, any word on Cremer??? Just read his surgery was Aug 23 and recovery was "6-8 weeks" with the first Test in Sylhet scheduled to start on Nov 3. If my math is right Mr AG should have a shot at recovering in time for the Tests, no?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I don't have any inside info from the camp so I have no idea if he will be ready, but a full strength Zimbabwe side v a BD side minus Shakib & Tamin would have been a closer match.

Despite Zim's struggles they're still a decent unit and again despite their lack of Test Matches played in recent times they've done pretty well in the last two years barring the horror show pink ball Test.

If the cards fall in favour of Zimbabwe I think they can be very competitive in the Tests, if a couple of guys like BT, Raza & Ervine hit some form with the bat and Raza & Williams can the right areas with the ball they might give BD some concerns.

But I feel we're getting off the thread topic outstanding effort from BD to win without Shakib & Tamin, Mushy has been immense this tournament and was unlucky to miss his 100, Mehidy is now becoming a force in ODI's as well. My idea to flood the side with left hand batsman won't work if Mehidy is bowling.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Its really good to see Bangladesh and Afghanistan doing well. Bangladesh can be considered a serious unit now. I am however concerned about Sri Lanka. Their ODI record over the last 2 years is absolutely shocking. They are on a serious downward spiral. Dont know whats going on with them. They are so bad that they just might be on Zimbabwe and Ireland's level. The ODI league is going to expose them really badly.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:36 am

But I feel we're getting off the thread topic outstanding effort from BD to win without Shakib & Tamin, Mushy has been immense this tournament and was unlucky to miss his 100, Mehidy is now becoming a force in ODI's as well. My idea to flood the side with left hand batsman won't work if Mehidy is bowling.
I'm a huge Mehidy (weirdest spelling of that name btw, lol) fan. This guy should be groomed to be the Shakib replacement as a genuine all-rounder. I suspect Shakib will retire from Tests around 2023 but may stay on for ODIs till the 2027 WC. Hope I'm not being too optimistic, but that takes him to age 40. At any rate, Miraz, has been supreme his econ rate is the best amongst all spinners at the Asia Cup so far at 3.27 per over. Better than Rashid, Mujeeb, Kuldeep, and Chahal. However, he has only taken 4 wickets in 5 games, 2 of them today vs PAK.

Mushy is doing quite well. Since the 2015 WC, he's average 47 at a strike rate of 88 putting him right up there with likes of Kane Williamson and others. And he hasn't batted in the top order that whole time. I think he's made #4 his own position now and I expect him to average 50+ for the forseeble future. For context Kohli leads the way with an average of 79 at a strike rate of 97.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Congratulations Bangladesh on making it to tne finals. To do it without Tamim and Shakib makes it so much more special.

Looking forward to the finals against us now.