2018 ZCF XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: 2018 ZCF XI

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Someone did an emerging ZCF 2018 XI last year to take on the ZCF decade XI. It is probably time to have a ZCF Masters XI too, the guys in the boozers league who are much better any day than the pretenders at the ZCF XI. So here goes, my contribution to this wonderful yearly tradition of eugene :)

ZCF Masters XI - Long time members / old timers, mostly missing on the scene, but still have a lot to contribute to "the cause":

maehara: The missing legendary skipper, still has what it takes to beat the s*&t out of the opposition as well as his own teammates.
aydee: The ever dependable opener ZCF badly needs in this age of severe talent crunch at the top of the order. Our very own Trevor "Che Pujara" Gripper.
FlowerPower: See below.
Flower power: 3 and 4. The Flower brothers who were so prolific at ZCF at the same time but led to mistaken identity, would form a formidable upper middle order just like the real Flower brothers did for Zim in the international arena for such a long time.
cricket_22001: A solid Steve Waugh-esque no.5 with all the stats on the fingertips to turn the match on its head at any given point.
PieChucker: As the name suggestes, a pie-chucker offie who bats a bit. Not sure why he is there really, but when the team is down after the usual maulings, can get the spirits up through his limericks. Comes with strong recommendation from Malcolm Waller.
Boundary: We need to find some "boundary options" lower down the order. Who better? Also the team wicket keeper.
gargamel: Solid Heath Streak-esque no. 8 who gives it his all with bat, ball, news and views.
Utseyalitharan: Yeah, the lone "spinner" in the team. You can't ignore a forum name like that. We are talking about 810 test wickets here.
Kopje: Medium pacer who just trundles in and bowls, a la Nkala, Mupariwa, Brent, Tiripano, etc. Discipline is his forte, but when there is no swing, doesn't do much.
clickspeed: With that username, can generate pace of 160+ kph all day long. A no brainer selection in the playing XI.

Rest of the squad:
andy24: Batting backup, "Stream unearther".
Sir Mupariwa: Pace bowling backup knighted for once bowling the fastest slower ball in cricketing history, at 111 kph.
Lostart: Look up "Elton Chigumbura".
FlashG: No one knows what he brings to the table. This is like that Utseya selection in the CWC 2015 squad. But according to the now-sacked coach's (see below) conspiracy theories, he could be the team snitch trying to overthrow the skipper maehara.

Coach:
Bayhaus: Specializes in coaching conspiracy theories so that the team is up for it no matter what. Brought in the "win at all costs" attitude till PieChucker was caught with sand paper in his pocket on a match thread. Then replaced as coach by:

zimdan: To bring credibility back to the ZCF Master XI.

p.s.: PieChucker retained his place in the playing XI by arguing that he used the sand paper to write his limericks on them as and when inspiration hit him while the match was on.

Selectors:
jontym87, jimmylesaint - Some say that the selection announcements are more sought after events than the on-field performances themselves since the time these two have taken over the selection duties.

Team Talent Scout:
NickG: Rumour has it that he is being paid by ECBF to scout talent out of ZCF... Master XI regulars zimfan1 and Train Driver have landed multi-year Kolpak deals in the last 3 months with SomersetCF and SussexCF respectively to add more weight to that rumour. zimfan1 was offered a contract to tweet exclusively but not to post on ZCF, but he has cheekily appeared on ZCF a few times, risking his contract but keeping the hopes up for those who expect a full fledged ZCF comeback from him. There is a story developing there...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Good stuff, Crimson. Aydee will make a comeback to the ZCF XI eventually. A couple of years ago he was dropped for five years and I intend on sticking to that selection edict.
Last edited by eugene on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

:lol: :lol:

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 am
Good stuff, Crimson. Aydee will make a comeback to the ZCF XI eventually. A ciuple of years ago he was dropped for five years and I intend on sticking to that selection edict.
That will be the mother of all comebacks. Even Taibu can't compete with that.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

zimfan1 and Train Driver have landed multi-year Kolpak deals in the last 3 months with SomersetCF and SussexCF respectively to add more weight to that rumour. zimfan1 was offered a contract to tweet exclusively but not to post on ZCF, but he has cheekily appeared on ZCF a few times, risking his contract but keeping the hopes up for those who expect a full fledged ZCF comeback from him. There is a story developing there...
10 years plus on the forum, time for more comebacks that Mark Vermeulen.

Perhaps I will burn down the nets where the ZCF Academy Side trains.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Out of interest who has the most posts on the forum?

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:19 pm
Out of interest who has the most posts on the forum?
The top 10 posters, with year of joining in brackets:

1. CrimsonAvenger - 7,931 (2007)
2. Jemisi - 7,255 (2011) (this doesn't count the original Jemisi who was expunged by maehara accidentally)
3. brmtaylor.com admin - 7,215 (2007)
4. jaybro - 6,890 (2013)
5. sloandog - 6,849 (2009)
6. eugene - 6,553 (2008)
7. zimfan1 - 4,904 (2008)
8. foreignfield - 4,253 (2011)
9. maehara - 3,960 (2007)
10. Googly - 3,944 (2013)

Kudos to jaybro who despite joining the forum in 2013 is in fourth position.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

About 500 of 1st Innings Jemisi's 800 odd posts were devoted to a Sean Ervine comeback. So Maehara's innocent error was probably just the Lord moving in mysterious ways.

By Zim standards I am express pace. Pretty sure I could clock up 127kph.

My solid middle order runs have dried up a bit since we lost Pariah. I accept the coach's wisdom in sticking me down the order.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Probably shows I post too much 😬😬😬
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I feel that way too, whenever I see myself still on top of this list. I shouldn't be leading this list is how I feel, but all the years of photo quiz is to be blamed...