Should Australia have its test status suspended?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Should Australia have its test status suspended?

Post by sloandog »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm
Eugene,
Just for the heck of it, could you please name the 15 New Zealand batsmen who could make this current Aussie team?
I don't know about there being 15, but there's certainly a pocket full of them.

Ross Taylor,
Kane Williamson,
Tom Latham,
Henry Nichols,

These guys would walk into this current Australian side. Williamson and Taylor in the middle order are just class (more so Williamson). Latham to partner Warner when he returns and then Nicholls in the lower order. I actually really like the look of Nichols, he's got something about him.

In the ODI format, would anybody disagree with me that Martin Guptill would be a first choice in the current Aussie limited over squads?

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 am
cricket_22001 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm
Eugene,
Just for the heck of it, could you please name the 15 New Zealand batsmen who could make this current Aussie team?
I don't know about there being 15, but there's certainly a pocket full of them.

Ross Taylor,
Kane Williamson,
Tom Latham,
Henry Nichols,

These guys would walk into this current Australian side. Williamson and Taylor in the middle order are just class (more so Williamson). Latham to partner Warner when he returns and then Nicholls in the lower order. I actually really like the look of Nichols, he's got something about him.

In the ODI format, would anybody disagree with me that Martin Guptill would be a first choice in the current Aussie limited over squads?
I agree with this , Australia’s odi side is like a young girl feeling like she was meant to be born a man but is to scared to tell everyone and doesn’t know where she belongs anymore .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Googly

Post by Googly »

NZ are a good side. They’re shy a top spinner, Sodhi doesn’t quite fit the bill, he’s ok though.
I’d like to see an Aussie/NZ series now, a chance for NZ to put one over the Old Enemy.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I doubt NZ would even consider Australia a rival at the moment. Maybe some sort of feeder team?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 pm
I doubt NZ would even consider Australia a rival at the moment. Maybe some sort of feeder team?
When all is said and done AUS still have more players that would walk into the NZ side than vice versa. Warner, Smith, Lyon, Cummins, Hazelwood would all walk into NZ Test lineup. Quite possibly Starc as well.

NZ only has KW, Taylor, Watling and Latham. Possibly one of Southee/Boult. Pretty even there.

But back to what to Andy b was saying. ZIM’s best batter Taylor averages 35, scored mostly on flat wickets against weaker bowling sides. Versus a guy like say Handscomb who averages 39 playing mostly against England, India, SA. So it’s hard to see how even BT would “walk into” the Aussie lineup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
New Zealand will get their chance to beat Australia next year, I can’t ever remember NZ winning a series against Australia ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 am
eugene wrote:
New Zealand will get their chance to beat Australia next year, I can’t ever remember NZ winning a series against Australia ?
NZ won a test series against Australia in 1985/86. There have been some notable drawn series since, such as 2011/12.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 am
eugene wrote:
NZ won a test series against Australia in 1985/86. There have been some notable drawn series since, such as 2011/12.
I see lol

I guess that’s why the Kiwis are enjoying their time in the sun, unluckily for them Smith & Warner will be back by next summer and the Aussies have historically rebounded very strong after an away ashes series.

Although in our current state the Kiwis might have won a test or drawn a couple?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

What do we think will happen if SA, Eng, NZ, Aus and Zim play on raging turners? Who will have an upper hand?

NZ would probably be the least equipped for such a thing bowling-wise. Batting-wise, Aus ans SA are woeful at the moment in such a situation. We must be decent looking at our recent performances in SL and BD. England will probably boss others, but SA, Zim and Aus could be at the same level (SA mainly thanks to Maharaj and Aus thanks to Lyon), but slightly below NZ in second place (thanks mainly due to their batting prowess).

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

South Africa are easily the worst side facing spin, and apart from Maharaj they don’t have another test quality spinner, I genuinely think a full strength Zim side could possibly beat them on a turning deck if they had some good warm up games prior and batted first.

Australia with Smith & Warner would do pretty good because they can play spin well & as CA mentioned they have Nathan Lyon.

NZ can’t be counted out because they have just beaten Pakistan in the sub continent, although those pitches weren’t rank turners. It’s true they have the least potnent spinners of the five teams mentioned, but as the recent series in Dubai showed the more the pitch spins the more effective spinners like Ajay Patel & Wil Somerville become. The thing the Kiwis have in their favour is their batting & strong team spirit which shone through in the UAE that’s why I’d back them over South Africa in those conditions.

England probably the strongest due to their collection of allrounders which gives them so many dimensions and options.

England
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Zimbabwe