Should Australia have its test status suspended?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Should Australia have its test status suspended?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 am
South Africa are easily the worst side facing spin, and apart from Maharaj they don’t have another test quality spinner, I genuinely think a full strength Zim side could possibly beat them on a turning deck if they had some good warm up games prior and batted first.

Australia with Smith & Warner would do pretty good because they can play spin well & as CA mentioned they have Nathan Lyon.

NZ can’t be counted out because they have just beaten Pakistan in the sub continent, although those pitches weren’t rank turners. It’s true they have the least potnent spinners of the five teams mentioned, but as the recent series in Dubai showed the more the pitch spins the more effective spinners like Ajay Patel & Wil Somerville become. The thing the Kiwis have in their favour is their batting & strong team spirit which shone through in the UAE that’s why I’d back them over South Africa in those conditions.

England probably the strongest due to their collection of allrounders which gives them so many dimensions and options.

England
Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Zimbabwe
England
New Zealand
Australia
South Africa
Zimbabwe
West Indies

Thats my ranking with Australia and NZ switching spots once Smith and Warner are back.

Although Zimbabwe certainly exceeded all expectations in BD a few weeks ago, they didn't bat all that well against the spinners considering Shakib (lead spinner) and Nayeem (biggest turner) didn't feature in the series. The average innings total was only 261, and while thats fine for the Sylhet pitch it included the Dhaka wicket which was a flat batting track. What Zimbabwe did do was bat a bit of time, and even then it wasn't quite enough and ultimately, you've got to score runs no matter how many or few balls you face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Yeh New Zealand needed to play aus in this current state to have any chance to beat them in a test series . Sadly next summer I believe they will be destroyed on Aussie shores ,Their record in South Africa is shocking and I imagine with no India choosing the grounds and state of the pitches New Zealand are going to be in for some spicy pitches . None of their bowlers are capable of bowling above 138kmh consistently and in aus that’s a worry ,the return of smith and warner plus no marsh brothers 😂Aussies for the whitewash . New Zealand is a great competitor but sadly are not a class team .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Most of Australia's prior victories are probably down to ball tampering. With Australia now playing ethically we will see how they fare against New Zealand's superior batting lineup. Kane Williamson is the best batsman on either side.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

eugene wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 am
Most of Australia's prior victories are probably down to ball tampering. With Australia now playing ethically we will see how they fare against New Zealand's superior batting lineup. Kane Williamson is the best batsman on either side.
No need to be triggered Eugene .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 am
Williamson is without a shadow of a doubt the best in either side. Would anybody agree he's second only to Virat Kholi in test cricket? Root has fallen away slightly over the past 12 months and Smith will need to re-establish himself once he's back in during the next few months. I just think Williamson goes about his business so professionally and without any noise like Kholi does

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

In all seriousness Australia & New Zealand match up very well & it would be a great series when they come head to head this year ‘if’ they prepare the right pitches.

Last time NZ toured the Gabba & WACA were roads and it made for a couple of boring run fests, but the Adelaide Test which was the inaugural Day Night Pink Ball Test was an absolute cracker that could have gone either way.

The Tour will likely be played at the same venues except for the new Perth Stadium replacing the WACA, so let’s hope we see some more ‘sporting decks’ and close games.

Both sides have two real marquee batsman in Smith & Warner against KW & Taylor, whilst also having some good deputies in Khawaja, Latham & Nicholls. I also think Travis Head will be a much better player in 7 Test matches time.

The bowling attacks are also very good with Statc, Hazlewood & Cummins v Boult, Southee & Wagner, the spin department is where Australia have the advantage with Lyon over Patel or Sommerville.

Should be a ripper if the pitches are made to order 👌🏼
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I still think Smith is a better player than Williamson but I take your point Sloan he’ll need to re-establish himself

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am
I still think Smith is a better player than Williamson but I take your point Sloan he’ll need to re-establish himself
Smith probably has more flamboyancy than Williamson and I agree, I think he has (overall) a great expanse of shots, but I think Williamson is a better test match cricketer. Smith hands down is a more rounded batter, but I think has some catching up to do with Williamsons test ability.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Sorry Sloan I can’t agree with that KW is a better test batsman than Smith, Steve averages 10 more runs per innings and has a much better conversion rate from 50 to 100.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 am
jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am
Smith probably has more flamboyancy than Williamson and I agree, I think he has (overall) a great expanse of shots, but I think Williamson is a better test match cricketer. Smith hands down is a more rounded batter, but I think has some catching up to do with Williamsons test ability.
At the moment Williamson has him covered yes , only because he’s playing . Smith at best compared to Williamson is simple , it’s smith . Look at his hundreads and his convertion rate . He might have more flamboyancy but Williamson is actually a superior short form batsman to smith . Smith looks awkward and not your typical test bat but when he was playing he made runs everywhere and in the most challenging conditions . He was the number 1 batsman for a reason and on stats which you can’t argue with he is the master of Williamson. I think Williamson is a pure jet and it is so nice to see a A GRADE coming from someone other than the big 4 but can’t agree with you on your opinion sloan