Logan Cup postponed match: Mountaineers v Tuskers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Logan Cup postponed match: Mountaineers v Tuskers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Supposed to happen from 13th to 16th: http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8794 ... up-2018-19

Hope it goes ahead as planned. There is no relevance to the match, so could ZC...

Would love to see another strong show by the Tuskers after that gritty performance against the Rhinos.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup postponed match: Mountaineers v Tuskers

Post by jaybro »

I honestly don’t worry too much about team results in Zimbabwean domestic cricket, I’m more interested in the individual performances so I’m looking to see what the likes of Chari, Ervine, Mpofu or hopefully Murray do for the Tuskers.

Whilst for the Champion Mountaineers just about all their players could be in contention, Tymcen is the interesting one as he’s in irresistible form scoring consecutive 100’s. For just about any other player I’d say #gethimin but unless he’s totally revamped his technique I can’t see him being successful for the national side.

Hoping Mashinge does well again
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 am
Whilst for the Champion Mountaineers just about all their players could be in contention, Tymcen is the interesting one as he’s in irresistible form scoring consecutive 100’s. For just about any other player I’d say #gethimin but unless he’s totally revamped his technique I can’t see him being successful for the national side.
I agree -- and what's more: If he has made a case for an international call-up at all it would be in the longer form of the game, and in the middle order. But honestly, he's not going to replace BT, Raza and Williams. But knowing our selectors Timmy will probably find himself opening in T20s or bat at 8 in the ODI side.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

foreignfield wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 am

I agree -- and what's more: If he has made a case for an international call-up at all it would be in the longer form of the game, and in the middle order. But honestly, he's not going to replace BT, Raza and Williams. But knowing our selectors Timmy will probably find himself opening in T20s or bat at 8 in the ODI side.
Yeah interesting to see how they line up in their next Test which looks like it won't be for at least 8 months, that's the problem with the length in between games how much can past form count? How much does PJ's tour of Bangladesh mean when it was 12 months ago? Or even looking at Tymcen how much weight does his Logan Cup runs hold when the next Test Match is 8 months away??

All things being fair and equal he probably deserves to be in the conversation or even possibly in the ODI squad if these UAE or Afghanistan series happen, BUT as I said I can't have him in any of my sides because of what I have seen of him, granted it was a while ago but he loooked like a wild slogger with little to no technique at all.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Yeah interesting to see how they line up in their next Test which looks like it won't be for at least 8 months, that's the problem with the length in between games how much can past form count? How much does PJ's tour of Bangladesh mean when it was 12 months ago? Or even looking at Tymcen how much weight does his Logan Cup runs hold when the next Test Match is 8 months away??

All things being fair and equal he probably deserves to be in the conversation or even possibly in the ODI squad if these UAE or Afghanistan series happen, BUT as I said I can't have him in any of my sides because of what I have seen of him, granted it was a while ago but he loooked like a wild slogger with little to no technique at all.
We are all obviously armchair experts/selectors. That being said, I am of the personal opinion that proper selection protocol or strategy should consist of the following:

1) talented young players ("young" being subjectively variable from country to country eg 25 might be young for a Zimbabwean player, but oldish for most Asian teams) deserve an extended run to establish themselves.

2) any player who is not young (or talented, again subjective term) should not benefit from this luxury. unfair perhaps, but this is my personal strategy.

As for the question of "how much does PJ's form from months/years ago count?" the easy answer is, in what context is that form? So if for example Hamilton has a stellar series or even a season, I would not count it much because he's had a career full of failures spanning nearly 2 decades. By the same token, Raza's poor series in BD shouldn't affect his immediate place in the side given his prior record. Ditto for Ervine who's had a poor season or two. So in my opinion PJ should be a rock solid pick for his gritty performances.

So in conclusion, past form can and should count, given the overall context of a batsman's career. One good series is not enough for the likes of Chigumbura, Masakadza, or Vusi. But for a young player like Chari or Tari it should sufficient.

Talent identification is the key. Bangladesh for example have wasted a Test batting slot on Mahmudullah for the past few years. His two centuries vs ZIM and WI should be viewed in the context of a career full of failures spanning 10 full years now. He should make way for a young talent (Mosaddek preferably). And if Mosaddek ends up being a failure, that doesn't mean bring Mahmudullah back...it means go on to the next young talent until one finally sticks. Same thing with Mohammad Mithun now in the ODI and Test teams...he's wasting a spot just because he hit a couple of fifties in the Asia Cup. Very foolish selections IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

1 series should be enough for Chari but not Hami?

Huh?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 am
1 series should be enough for Chari but not Hami?

Huh?
Context. 1 series represents 25% of Chari's entire career. The same represents 1% of Hami's career.

People need to realize Hami is an extremely mediocre batsman. I'm not saying he should be dropped. He still offers a bit of stabilization at the top of the order. But he's not a match winner (like Taylor, Raza, Jarvis) and never was. Craig Ervine has had as many good knocks as Hamilton has from a quarter of the innings played.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Chari has played a great deal of cricket. He has been a domestic mainstay for years. Look at his domestic numbers.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 am
Chari has played a great deal of cricket. He has been a domestic mainstay for years. Look at his domestic numbers.
I'm talking about internationals only. At the end of the day thats how players are judged. I'm not suggesting Chari is better than Hami. What I'm saying is that Chari's grit shown in the last series warrants him a place in the squad regardless of how much time has passed, but the same performance from a guy like Hamilton wouldn't. Different standards for different players.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

If Chari is not better than Hami (which I know you weren't saying) how does one decent effort secure him a place?