Peter Moor appointed as Vice Captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Peter Moor appointed as Vice Captain

Post by jward »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am
Any other side and Hammy would have been dropped two years ago. Zim makes him captain. Could not be a more regressive decision.m

Anyone know anything about Chouhan? Does that mean Rachpot is out?

As for the selectors, don't know much about Ziehl to make judgement, but Chawaguta and Utseya are terrible choices. Whenever you think change is going to happen, things either go sideways or backwards. Can expect to see picks based on favouritism.
Hammy batted superbly for his century in the final Logan Cup match last week, a really fine innings, when the rest of his strong team did little; he was streets ahead of the rest. Admittedly Tuskers are weak opponents on paper, but their bowling was not at all bad. So he still has it, though not as often as we would wish for. He would still be in my national side.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

jward wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Any other side and Hammy would have been dropped two years ago. Zim makes him captain. Could not be a more regressive decision.m

As for the selectors, don't know much about Ziehl to make judgement, but Chawaguta and Utseya are terrible choices. Whenever you think change is going to happen, things either go sideways or backwards. Can expect to see picks based on favouritism.
Hammy batted superbly for his century in the final Logan Cup match last week, a really fine innings, when the rest of his strong team did little; he was streets ahead of the rest. Admittedly Tuskers are weak opponents on paper, but their bowling was not at all bad. So he still has it, though not as often as we would wish for. He would still be in my national side.
Out of interest John, as someone who watches domestic cricket, who have you been most impressed with in this years Logan Cup?

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.facebook.com/dean.t.dupless ... 432253302/

a podcast by Dean du Plessis chatting with the interim MD Givemore Makoni about the captaincy appointments

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:12 am
Can’t say I’m really that crash hot on either selection considering neither play has played well in the ODI format for over 12 months (Moor never really has).

Your C & VC really need to be in every XI otherwise it looks bad and causes a media storm if they get dropped, mich like it did in Australia when Mitch Marsh was made vc and got dropped.

The obvious choice was either BT or Raza, those two are Zimbabwe’s best players and they’ll always play every game, the board is still obviously not totally over their issues with the strike players.

Jarvis may have even been a good choice.
The strike may have helped to keep BT and Raza from the vice-captaincy, but I think the biggest factor was that they didn't make themselves available to play in the Logan Cup.

jward

Post by jward »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 pm
jward wrote:
zimbos_05 wrote:

Out of interest John, as someone who watches domestic cricket, who have you been most impressed with in this years Logan Cup?
I can't argue with ZC's choices of Timmy Maruma as batsman of the season and Donald Tiripano as bowler of the season - he may struggle at international level, especially with the ball through lack of real pace, but in the Logan Cup he is an outstanding performer. Of the younger players I would name Tafadzwa Tsiga and Victor Nyauchi - no wonder Mountaineers cleaned up!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

This is a terrible decision for odi cricket ! Hamilton barley has made a run as well as PJ ! Hamilton is on the verge of being dropped and he’s being backed to hills , career batting average of around 27 and sliding every season , my lord .PJ should be captain or vice captain at least of the test team but shieeettt he has barely made a run in his short form career . I love both blokes but seriously this is madness , give it to BT our best player and only legend around the setup or even raza . Anyway this makes sense
Because zim never makes sense 😂
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

jward wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm

The strike may have helped to keep BT and Raza from the vice-captaincy, but I think the biggest factor was that they didn't make themselves available to play in the Logan Cup.
Didn’t they get a NOC off the board?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jward

Post by jward »

jward wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 pm
jward wrote:

I can't argue with ZC's choices of Timmy Maruma as batsman of the season and Donald Tiripano as bowler of the season - he may struggle at international level, especially with the ball through lack of real pace, but in the Logan Cup he is an outstanding performer. Of the younger players I would name Tafadzwa Tsiga and Victor Nyauchi - no wonder Mountaineers cleaned up!
I forgot to mention I also saw Richard Ngarava of Eagles produce a couple of really impressive spells of pace bowling.

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2019/0 ... er-chance/

Sports Panorama: Enock Muchinjo

WHILE the forthcoming tours by the fast-rising Afghanistan and United Arab Emirates in April can be viewed in a sense as mitigating Zimbabwe’s absence from the World Cup, the games can have a considerable bearing on the future of Zimbabwean cricket in a much broader view.

First, with the opportunity that presented itself this week to ring in changes in the leadership of the Zimbabwe team, time was right to take a longer-term view and give a younger player the chance to captain the side. In addition to allowing the new skipper to serve his apprenticeship in a less stressful situation, the choice of a younger emerging player as captain would have shown that Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) is seriously looking towards the next generation to lead the team for the next decade and beyond.

The ZC board, instead, decided this week to extend the tenure of the 35-year-old Hamilton Masakadza in a move that — with all due respect to the veteran batsman — exposes once again the lack of strategic foresight in those running the game in this country. As a cricketing nation, we continue to show an astonishing lack of trust in young players, which is all the more surprising given our record under the leadership of some of the so-called experienced players.

Take, for example, that PJ Moor — only now promoted to be Masakadza’s deputy—is still seen as some kind of rookie learning the ropes, while Steve Smith has since captained Australia with some success between 2014 and 2018.

Come to think of it, Moor and Smith both played at the 2008 Under-19 World Cup for their countries. The faith that ZC has shown in Masakadza, meanwhile, cannot be undone, but that is not to say we cannot salvage some positives out of it. Success rate and his captaincy style out of the discussion, Masakadza should and is quite capable of playing a key mentoring role to the younger players for the remainder of his career, starting with the tours by Afghanistan and UAE.

It will be another gigantic blunder if the ZC board and selection panel stick with the same tried-and-failed players when these two emerging sides arrive in April.

Our selectors have this strange knack of picking the same players with the hope that this time they might perform. Recalling Elton Chigumbura late last year did not give selectors the vindication they were hoping for. This is the time to aggressively incorporate youngsters directly into the playing 11, not just as the 12th man passing around water. We do have a group of young Zimbabwean players, locally and abroad, with the guts to have a go at the opposition.

It is scandalous how as a nation we could not hold on to such sublime talents as Nick Welch and Eddie Byrom and then lately the exciting fast bowling prospect Blessing Muzarabani. Hosting Afghanistan and UAE at this moment in Zimbabwean cricket is a particularly wonderful opportunity to build a new team because, truthfully, we have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

With all our old-guard around, Afghanistan have been dominating us for four years now, winning the last four successive ODI series against Zimbabwe. As for the UAE, they denied us, at full strength, a place at the World Cup.

So really, what is there to play for anymore, or to prove, for some of our older players? I would love to see a new-look Zimbabwe team, with the younger generation assembled around a core group of skipper Masakadza, Brendan Taylor, Sean Williams, Kyle Jarvis and Tendai Chatara.

The past is gone, let us not fear the future.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Appointing Hamilton captain means the board have adopted the fact he will be around the set for at least another two years, if not the WC qualifiers.

As a related aside, it’s become apparent to me that the only way a player will retire in modern day zim is to be pushed out. Zim has become a backwater. There’s no money or food. No ones retiring into poverty.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*