Zim still a shock chance for the World Cup at the expense of Ind / Pak?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Zim still a shock chance for the World Cup at the expense of Ind / Pak?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

With the dastardly terror attack on Indian soil last week where over 40 lives of the Indian reserve police were lost, BCCI is mulling to send a strong message to Pak by completely blocking them out of the World Cup according to reports coming in: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 4219314303

While this looks like a silly move on paper, emotions are running high. India might demand expulsion of Pak (instead of just deciding to not play their own scheduled match against them) and might threaten pulling itself out in case the ICC does not budge. Massive money involved so ICC cannot just ignore the situation if it comes down to this. That means one of them won't play and we have another spot open in the "10 team world cup". And enter Zimbabwe...

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zim still a shock chance for the World Cup at the expense of Ind / Pak?

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm
0% chance. There's too much money at stake.
Crimson, good sir....you are far too bright a man to entertain such a thought. Pakistan and India will play in the world cup, full stop. As BRM has said, the money involved is astronomical

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I just wanted to be the first one to invent this "Zim-possibility" :)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

India love flexing their muscle and mixing sport with politics.

Just play cricket leave the rest for someone else to deal with
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I dunno it might be possible because 1.2 billion Indians are seething right now and it’s an election year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

They would probably find a way to give it to Scotland as some sort of co-hosts.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I read an article where Imran Khan lashed out at India for presuming it was a Pakistani suicide bomber. I don’t know enough about their politics, but hard to assume it was not. Tempers are running hot in that neck of the woods.
Jeez cricket is all the poorer for Pakistan not being able to host much. This may be a big set back for their PSL.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Well the terror outfit based out of Pak has claimed responsibility the day the attack happened. It's top men roam freely in Pakistan, so not sure what further proof Imran Khan is asking for.

The general public is very angry across the country and rightly so, probably even to the extent that people won't mind even if India itself has to withdraw from the world cup in the eventuality. Nothing matters more than the lives of people. People in the country would be angry at BCCI if they just went ahead and don't stand up when it matters.

The parliaments of New Zealand and South Africa have passed motions this week condemning the attack in Kashmir. On their own, with no push from the Indian government. I'm assuming these two cricket boards would stand with BCCI in case there is any deliberation.
Jemisi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 pm
They would probably find a way to give it to Scotland as some sort of co-hosts.
That would be a sad thing to happen, but possible. But Zim stood 11th and that should count for something.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I doubt if BCCI can do such a thing as ousting Pakistan from WC. Not happening guys, secondly India won't withdraw from WC, I'm pretty sure about that.

A lot of things have happened wrt cricket though. PSL broadcast in India has been stopped, cricbuzz has stopped covering PSL and has removed all Pakistan content from their website. Almost all the fantasy gaming websites have stopped covering Pakistan matches.

Let's see how the situation stands in coming days