Do we really matter?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Do we really matter?

Post by Googly »

I think incorporating T20 into our league has two problems, firstly it costs money that ZC have but it’s earmarked for private accounts and secondly if someone becomes marketable they won’t be under their thumb, which is all important to the way they control everyone. It’s about absolute control, nothing else.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:37 am
Heartfelt article, must have hurt to pen that, certainly hurt to read it.
Honestly ripped my heart out. Seeing the responses doesn't do much to fix that too.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I see Duanne Olivier has just gone Kolpak. That’s interesting news. I would love to know the details, I’d have thought he was on a decent package from CSA. What u think, Sloan?
Personally I think they’re escaping the sinking ship, not just CSA, but SA. If you’re a young family man with wife and kids and you get offered anything out of Africa you have to think long and hard, Zim and SA are in big big trouble economically and politically. It’s not a cycle either, there’s a massive permanent downturn coming. Some sectors will escape it, and if you’re a skilled person, but for most others there’s hard times coming.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I see our coach, Rajput, is taking some heat for supporting an Indian retaliatory airstrike. I was just trolling his twitter account and he doesn’t say much about Zim cricket, not that there’s much to say when we aren’t playing. When you get a couple of warning shots across the bows like that it means something is up, that’s how it works here. Always starts with rumblings.
Someone actually said- how can we have someone supporting and condoning murder. I almost choked.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 pm
I see Duanne Olivier has just gone Kolpak. That’s interesting news. I would love to know the details, I’d have thought he was on a decent package from CSA. What u think, Sloan?
Personally I think they’re escaping the sinking ship, not just CSA, but SA. If you’re a young family man with wife and kids and you get offered anything out of Africa you have to think long and hard, Zim and SA are in big big trouble economically and politically. It’s not a cycle either, there’s a massive permanent downturn coming. Some sectors will escape it, and if you’re a skilled person, but for most others there’s hard times coming.
I couldn't have put it better myself, googly. I think he's noticed the political climate that South Africa is currently gripped in and used this as an excuse. I have friends out there and they're moving away and heading to Australia; it's getting bad.
On a cricketing front, I think he's noticed the quota system (Ngidi, Dala, Andile) breathing down his neck, waiting for him to have a bad series so he can be dropped in place of a player of color. He isn't stupid, and neither are we on this forum; he knows he's one bad series away from carrying drinks, while he watches Ngidi take his spot. It happened to Abbot and Viljeon, and it'd happen to Olivier. I mean, didn't he have to wait ages after his debut to play again? A debut where he took 6 wickets, and in between that time Andile was given a test cap against Zimbabwe?!
A 6 figure salary, guaranteed for 3 years from one of English crickets most powerful counties is as good an option as a 24 year old SA fast bowler is going to get, and i think he's done the right thing in taking it. Swallowed his pride and took the plunge, knowing he'd be criticized heavily by CSA..which they wasted no time in doing, by the way.
You just know that Nortje or Muelder or some other young white fast bowler is going to take a similar route, just like De Lange, Abbot, Mclaren and may more before them. The system in SA is working, yes. They're producing black cricketers which is what the government want, but at the expense of the young white players. It needs addressing, otherwise kids like Bryce Parsons, Matthew Mongomery, Herman Rolfes, Raynard Van Tonder, Matty Breetzke, Jonathan Bird etc, will be lost! There was a kid in the last Under 19's CWC for SA opening with the new pip and bowling rockets, and then smashing 6's for fun. Where's he at? Honestly, there's been such a focus on the black, colored and Asian players that now the good white players are being pushed back.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Sloan jumped the gun on Oliver who just went kolpak.
What surprises me is that everyone else is surprised. He will not be the last I can tell you that. They will lose a couple more in the next year or so. Saffers are desperate to flee. I can’t post a job ad nowadays without 2 of the first 5 applicants being southern Africans applying from Africa trying to obtain visas.

Secondly, no we don’t matter. I’m too lazy to do this at the moment but I’ve highlighted this very point a couple of times within my last fifty posts.

Years ago we were a troubled player in the world game. International crickets little brother. Everyone knew sims star players and they got media attention, even if it was minuscule.
Now it’s hard to find Logan cup info on cricinfo.

It’s a combination of continued problems and mediocre success on the field. Zim have no reputation as fighters or talents anymore.if I didn’t actively seek Zimbabwe out from here in Oz I wouldn’t really know they existed in cricket. All the problems zim have are now entrenched and won’t go away. The Zimbabwean populace is by and large low IQ and can’t drag themselves out. The smart ones have left already as part of the brain drain. The country and its team are anchored to the hole they are in.

The second reason is the calendar and pool is much more diverse and cluttered. In the 00s we didn’t have Afghanistan, Nepal, t20,UAE and Ireland were but part players and we have seen the rise of the individual. As mentioned in OPs post with Nepalese in the BBL now. Creamer I Hope should have chased a gig there because he would have been a good addition to a team like the Sixers.
I think zim themselves are still stuck in the mindset and are arrogant thinking they matter still. They don’t. We need to fight back because we haven’t fallen from glory in a way like Kevin Spacey. We have floated into irrelevancy.

Theo boy time I hear of Zim is when I’ve heard a few times recently people in the street make jokes using Zimbabwe (the country) as the butt of jokes when referring to a basket case place as the punchline. Jokes like ‘I went to their company and the place was like Zimbabwe lol’ or ‘I’m moving house but not moving to that Derelict (suburb) I don’t want to live in zimbabwe’ or any other joke when comparing something poor, decrepit or useless.
I hear that type of joke all the time now.
I wonder if zimbo’s know that the country is a true laughing stock now.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

International cricket is struggling to stay relevant, couple that with societal problems in places like Zimbabwe and South Africa and it is little wonder many young players are walking away from the international game. The future of cricket sadly seems to be a plethora of T20 Leagues. I have no idea how people are meant to get excited about Bangalore Blasters vs Dubai Dragracers, but I guess someone must like this stuff otherwise it wouldn't be profitable.

Regarding Duanne Olivier, he would have been one of the first names on the team sheet regardless of quotas, particularly with Steyn, Philander nearing retirement. I guess he wants the money and the ease of domestic cricket, perhaps he isn't such a loss for the Proteas after all?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Duanne Olivier shocks CSA, signs 3 year Kolpak deal with
Yorkshire

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106 ... olpak-deal

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Black Mamba wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 am
Duanne Olivier shocks CSA, signs 3 year Kolpak deal with
Yorkshire

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/106 ... olpak-deal
Thanks Scoop
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yeah I think we’ve collectively hit the nail on the head, it’s more to do with life/living quality rather than cricket opportunities
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement