Do we really matter?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Do we really matter?

Post by TapsC »

I have always wondered if this is really always just about money. I think there is usually more to it. The future of cricket is t20s. Signing a kolpak kind of closes a few t20 doors IF you are an upcoming talent without a global brand. A national contract plus 4 or 5 t20 gigs a year is surely worth more than a county contract. If BT was saying he made more money playing for Zim than county then what about these SA stars. Unless we are saying BTs contract is better than the fringe proteas.

Plus Brexit will shut that door soon anyway. Now if you are a young guy who left the Proteas what makes you so sure they will take you back when your 3 year contract is up and Brexit is done? The Proteas are not as desperate as us. They can certainly make sure you never play for them again.

For me these are short term fixes with long term consequences. Trust me,people in this world never forget

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Signing a Kolpak doesn’t stop you from playing in t20 Leagues around the world, not every Kolpak deal will be worth the same, you’d think BT wouldn’t have cost as much as the South Africans?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Sloan- the sa u19 all rounder is Gerald Coetzee. I’ve watched him a few times, he’s some player. He also batted too low down the order in their u19 set up and I think was first change if I’m not mistaken. Damned fine prospect, he surely has to be in a franchise set up, I will try and look.
I’ve also watched Montgomery a few times, he looks a prospect as well, but he’s not jaw droppingly good, but very good nonetheless. I just watched a 21 year old, Verreneux or something like that, just score a fine 100 in the momentum one day cup, he looks a fine prospect. You see in the old days all but the very cream would have to do some club time before they went to provincial, but their club system is not what it was either, and they have the same quota issues. You’re seeing loads of young guys who aren’t up to scratch getting direct entry into their franchise squads. Those South Africans all make the right noises and go and help with cricket in the high density areas and all that good stuff, but they vote quietly with their feet. It’s not something you can fight, it’s inevitable. No one is disputing that people were previously disadvantaged and treated unfairly, and the quick fix is to give them a leg up by prejudicing the incumbents who’ve had it too good for too long, but it erodes a system that has taken a long time to put in place. As with most things it takes years for such a system to evolve and it can be dismantled in a very short space of time, which is what has happened here and is happening there very quickly. When it’s coupled with a dire economy and political system it’s in fast forward.
The real problem is that the guys in control either don’t care or they think it can be managed. Most believe it can be managed and after a period of discomfort things will settle down. All they have to do is see what happened here to realize that it won’t have a happy ending. SA won’t plumb our depths cricket-wise but their decline is happening. I see them settling into a position where they are on a par with NZ in the not too distant future.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am
I have always wondered if this is really always just about money. I think there is usually more to it. The future of cricket is t20s. Signing a kolpak kind of closes a few t20 doors IF you are an upcoming talent without a global brand. A national contract plus 4 or 5 t20 gigs a year is surely worth more than a county contract. If BT was saying he made more money playing for Zim than county then what about these SA stars. Unless we are saying BTs contract is better than the fringe proteas.

Plus Brexit will shut that door soon anyway. Now if you are a young guy who left the Proteas what makes you so sure they will take you back when your 3 year contract is up and Brexit is done? The Proteas are not as desperate as us. They can certainly make sure you never play for them again.

For me these are short term fixes with long term consequences. Trust me,people in this world never forget
Ya Brexit is also a reason he’s making that decision now. If you’re in there before/if it happens then I’ve heard you’re safe. That certainly would have been a big factor in his decision.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've heard Van Tonder is also a pretty fine prospect. Have you seen him, googly?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 am
Signing a Kolpak doesn’t stop you from playing in t20 Leagues around the world, not every Kolpak deal will be worth the same, you’d think BT wouldn’t have cost as much as the South Africans?
Im saying that you wont have a global profile. International games get you recognition for t20 leagues. This is why BT for example came back and suddenly started getting gigs for Bangladesh Pakistan etc. You can do a Mavuta and get a gig based on 4 international games. Players like Rilee Rossouw already have an international profile so he will get picked for leagues

I get your point about the kolpak money not being the same for everybody. Thats true. Maybe the South Africans are getting more.

I think the SA situation plays a role too. A lot of uncertainty I guess for some

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

As for Zimbabwe cricket. We are doomed. Thats the honest truth. Everything is against us. No money, dying economy, ageing player pool, youngsters opting for other countries, uninterested population.

The ODI league is the last chance we have. The thing is countries like Nepal are cricket mad. We are just a headache who asks for more money. The odds are against us

Googly

Post by Googly »

No I haven’t seen him Sloan.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I’m not saying you’re wrong about international cricket getting you global recognition because it’s obviously worked for a few guys like Blessing & Mavuta. But there are plenty of domestic players in England and in other countries who are getting t20 gigs around the globe without playing for their country.

A lot of players get signed on the advise of the current playing group, I’m sure it was Mark Boucher who said he hadn’t seen much of Raza but gave him a deal because AB vouched for him, and in the BBL the Renegades signed Harry Gurney from the advice of Dan Christian.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Since the 2016 referendum CSA have lost Heino Kuhn, Wiese, Harmer, Ingram, Van Zyl, Roussouw, Villas, Abbott, Viljoen, Olivier and Morkel.
Since 2004 40 SA players have gone to play county, ten times more than any other nationalities.