Who Is Ernest Masuku ??

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Who Is Ernest Masuku ??

Post by jaybro »

Ernest Masuku has hit the Zimbabwe domestic scene this season with a bang and from virtually now where, although he debuted last season I can't remember anyone talking about him and I don't recall him ever playing in any age group sides ??

At 24 years old I would have thought we would have heard of him before now, he's definitely making some noise sitting 2nd on the Logan Cup wicket takers list with 21 scalps @ 18 a piece.

Can John Ward, Googly or gargamel shed any light on who this guy is ??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Who Is Ernest Masuku ??

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Masuku is another failure in making, will get picked in A team and High Performance Squad soon and will prove as an average talent like Ngarava or Victor Nyauchi. Few weeks ago all were jumping with William Mashinge, but the talent simply failed to deliver against relegated UAE Side.

Players like Bruce, Nathan Waller should be promted more then these average talents
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It’s so hard to be able to tell who is good and who’s not as the competition is so diluted you just can’t tell

It’s like playing cricket on an ice rink.

You may get a century and 4 wickets, but you just don’t know what it means?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

He is definitely one of the finds of the season and seems to going about his business. Taibu refered to him as having a "bright future" so he has captured the attention of the selectors and he did bowl in that WI warm game.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

Anyone on here got the low down on Ernest Masuku?

My club have signed him as pro for our English club season and wondered if anyone on the ground has seen him play?

I'm guessing he's got a bit of a yard and with a couple of 50s at FC level he can't be a mug with the bat?

We're hoping for big things

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:41 pm
Ernest Masuku has hit the Zimbabwe domestic scene this season with a bang and from virtually now where, although he debuted last season I can't remember anyone talking about him and I don't recall him ever playing in any age group sides ??

At 24 years old I would have thought we would have heard of him before now, he's definitely making some noise sitting 2nd on the Logan Cup wicket takers list with 21 scalps @ 18 a piece.

Can John Ward, Googly or gargamel shed any light on who this guy is ??
I don't know his background, except he's from Bulawayo and it's a long time since ZC could afford to send me there. He's a useful medium-fast bowler who is quite accurate, and can bat usefully. I asked Robin Brown last season, not having seen Masuku himself but noting he had done well against Rhinos, and he said he thought Masuku was a fairly ordinary bowler who enjoyed success mainly due to his novelty value, but he seems to be doing all right still now the opposition know him better. So he would appear to be developing his game quite well.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

ljriley90 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 pm

My club have signed him as pro for our English club season and wondered if anyone on the ground has seen him play?

I'm guessing he's got a bit of a yard and with a couple of 50s at FC level he can't be a mug with the bat?

He has just scored 50 under pressure in the Pr50 final after coming in at 102/5, encouraging signs, can clearly bat. Please keep us updated on how he goes this season!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am
ljriley90 wrote:

He has just scored 50 under pressure in the Pr50 final after coming in at 102/5, encouraging signs, can clearly bat. Please keep us updated on how he goes this season!
0/31 with the ball off three overs through :?

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am
ljriley90 wrote:

0/31 with the ball off three overs through :?
Yes saw he had his 50.

Bowling wise he has an economy of over 4 in FC too. It seems he goes for runs but picks up wickets too.

Without seeing him bowl I'm guessing he's either swinging the ball around but at a gentle pace so picks up wickets that way but gets hit a lot due to lack of pace.

Or

He has a bit of a yard but sprays it around and bowls short too? Goes for hooks and pulls and top edges over the slips but does snuck people off too.

I may reading too much into it.

He will be taking the new ball for us so we want him to lead our attack.

I'm sure he will be just fine at our level with a couple of adjustments on his length.

Standard is good though. Blessing played one div up last summer and got about 9 wickets at an average of 40!!

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

Wow I used the word "too" too much in that last post 8-)