UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD »

It doesn't help that ZC has to ask countries to "pay their own way". Apart from Afghanistan and Ireland none of the other countries have the money to do it, and for the AFG/IRE teams they at least feel that should they win, they can increase their profile.

To be honest, the Test fund should have been retained in this new ICC remodel. At any rate, the leading Associates have organized a lot of LOI cricket in the past few years. They should seek a profitable venue to organize regular quadrangular tournaments. Matches in Nepal would be heavily attended, and all teams could earn their fair share, with the hosts getting the lion's share of course.

Imagine Netherlands, Scotland, Nepal, Zimbabwe, UAE, PNG/HK playing regular tournaments. That would ensure 3-5 ODIs for each team every 4 months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I’m not to defend ZC but they did organise 9 ODI’s to fill in the gap before the Ireland tour, it’s not their fault that Afghanistan have pulled out on them.

In saying that the reason apprently is that the Afghanistan board wanted the games televised but ZC could only afford a live stream. It’s really not good enough from ZC, in today’s world where just about any sport is available at the touch of a smart phone that they can’t televise a series between two full members. I’ve said it before but I still don’t understand how in a country where cricket is the No.2 sport they can’t market the product and atleast break even?

It’s up to ZC to now find some other side to play, I’d be looking to engage Scotland or Netherlands for ODI tours whilst the boys are in Europe.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

To be honest this year is a 1-off because we didn't qualify for the world cup. There is no need to beg Afghanistan for games. Let them do what they need to do. We shouldn't devalue ourselves. Their players didnt want to play against us anyway according to some people.

There is no need to group us with Nepal Hong Kong UAE etc. We are not that terrible guys. The ODI league is around the corner. There is no need to be desperate. People are quick to forget we are the country that played the most ODIs last year.

We should be focusing on the future and what kind of team we are going to have in the ODI league. Instead of begging a team that now think they are world beaters yet they were very lucky to qualify, lets rather organize a few A tours against some proper teams.

What to do we learn with BT and co bashing the UAE or playing Afghanistan again? I would rather we use the little resources we have to bring in the SA A team and test the likes of Kamunhukamwe Jakiel and Masuku. That's a real learning curve.

Also the Afghanistan thing is a big lesson. Going forward we shouldnt help anybody. Lets not invite Nepal etc. Let them figure out the cricket world by themselves.

Afghanistan forget they still need to play test cricket. From now going forward we shouldnt help them. They have shown their true colours. Let them get games against other teams. With the ODI league guaranteeing games we dont need them. They are ungrateful and I wont forget the racist comments their fans were making when their team was in serious trouble during the qualifiers. Let Sri Lanka Bangladesh India and Pakistan play them instead of us. Since they are that good now in their minds.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Zimbabwe don't need Afghanistan now that they're rubbing shoulders with the up and coming giants of world cricket, Nigeria! :D

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:11 am
To be honest this year is a 1-off because we didn't qualify for the world cup. There is no need to beg Afghanistan for games. Let them do what they need to do. We shouldn't devalue ourselves. Their players didnt want to play against us anyway according to some people.

There is no need to group us with Nepal Hong Kong UAE etc. We are not that terrible guys. The ODI league is around the corner. There is no need to be desperate. People are quick to forget we are the country that played the most ODIs last year.

We should be focusing on the future and what kind of team we are going to have in the ODI league. Instead of begging a team that now think they are world beaters yet they were very lucky to qualify, lets rather organize a few A tours against some proper teams.

What to do we learn with BT and co bashing the UAE or playing Afghanistan again? I would rather we use the little resources we have to bring in the SA A team and test the likes of Kamunhukamwe Jakiel and Masuku. That's a real learning curve.

Also the Afghanistan thing is a big lesson. Going forward we shouldnt help anybody. Lets not invite Nepal etc. Let them figure out the cricket world by themselves.

Afghanistan forget they still need to play test cricket. From now going forward we shouldnt help them. They have shown their true colours. Let them get games against other teams. With the ODI league guaranteeing games we dont need them. They are ungrateful and I wont forget the racist comments their fans were making when their team was in serious trouble during the qualifiers. Let Sri Lanka Bangladesh India and Pakistan play them instead of us. Since they are that good now in their minds.
I think you're kidding yourself a bit here. Teams would jump at the opportunity to play Zim at one stage. Teams would even use Zim as their training ground, and in a World Cup year and just before competing in a World Cup, you would jump at the opportunity to play games against a test playing nation.

We played the most ODIs but what has that got us. Our ranking hasn't improved. We are not in the World Cup. We have a board with no clue, and an over the hill captain.

Remember we lost to UAE last year. So bashing them is not a guarantee. If we don't have the resources for our national team, then we certainly do not have the resources for the A side tours. Unfortunately, we need to be blooding our younger players in the national side. Jakiel is already 28. He has not been given his chance until now and even then I have my concerns about it all.

We are not in a position to not be helping sides like Afghanistan, because the other 9 sides in the WC don't really want to have anything to do with Zim Cricket at the moment. the ICC couldnt care about as well. They keep us on to push their narrative that the sport is growing when in actual fact they limit the shows grand event to only include the big teams. The World Cup is essentially a Champions Trophy under the guise of a 'World' event.

I am not a fan of Afghanistan or their fans, but they could do without us. They have players playing in big T20 leagues across the globe. They are in the World Cup at our expense. They are not just matching us on the field, but beating us as well. They are at times pushing the big teams and matching it with them on their day. They have resources and a board that is not stealing their money. This all from a country that is war ravaged and really should not be able to be at the standard they are at.

Sad to say, but ZC really have screwed the pooch on this one. We really shouldn't be in this mess. I don't see why they don't just swallow their pride and give the game back to the non-blacks.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think you’re a little off the pace here TapsC
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

There are not enough "non-black" cricketers left in the country for you to "give it back" to them. You cant even put together a white playing 11 in the system right now. Also as much as I dont like the board the truth is we cant blame them for not making the world cup. We all saw that game. We all saw what happened.

My point is that its not a coincidence that rumours of their players not wanting to play us pop up then a few weeks later they want to cancel. You know Bangladesh also rose up the ranks but in my opinion they have treated us fairly and with respect. If you think Afghanistan has done the same then I dont know.

As I said there is a full schedule with 15 ODIs that mean something next year. There is no need to beg anybody. We can complain but the average test playing nation plays between 20-25 ODIs in a year. Its not as many as people think. We will probably play 30 games this year but mainly t20s I think with the qualifier in October.Its not the end of the world if Afghanistan doesnt want to come.

This is a battle for survival. You keep helping countries rise up and then they treat you like dirt after they will eventually kick us out.

Also an A tour is a lot cheaper than a national tour. From accomodation to allowances to TV production costs.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:27 am
There are not enough "non-black" cricketers left in the country for you to "give it back" to them. You cant even put together a white playing 11 in the system right now. Also as much as I dont like the board the truth is we cant blame them for not making the world cup. We all saw that game. We all saw what happened.

My point is that its not a coincidence that rumours of their players not wanting to play us pop up then a few weeks later they want to cancel. You know Bangladesh also rose up the ranks but in my opinion they have treated us fairly and with respect. If you think Afghanistan has done the same then I dont know.

As I said there is a full schedule with 15 ODIs that mean something next year. There is no need to beg anybody. We can complain but the average test playing nation plays between 20-25 ODIs in a year. Its not as many as people think. We will probably play 30 games this year but mainly t20s I think with the qualifier in October.Its not the end of the world if Afghanistan doesnt want to come.

This is a battle for survival. You keep helping countries rise up and then they treat you like dirt after they will eventually kick us out.

Also an A tour is a lot cheaper than a national tour. From accomodation to allowances to TV production costs.
I know for a fact that there are enough non-black cricketers to make a team. A lot of the school teams have plenty of non-black players in them. They just don't progress because there is no pathway or future from it.

I agree with you on Afghanistan. I find them arrogant and do not like them at all. They have been disrespectful and the lot, but we can't keep pointing the finger at everyone else. What does it say when teams would rather play Scotland and Ireland than Zim.

It's like the sanctions excuse. They blame sanctions for the problems of the country, but in actual fact, the problems are caused by ourselves. If we got our house in order and did it properly, then we wouldn't have to be having these discussions because we would then be regularly playing the big teams and Afghanistan would be an after thought.

Unfortunately we have kicked ourselves out. The game has been run poorly and terribly that we 1) are not good enough an opposition for teams to want to play us. 2) we can't afford to host teams 3) we can't afford to travel 4) we've become so poor that sponsors want nothing to do with us

We don't blame the board directly for not qualifying for the WC, but we do blame them for the other 99% of things.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Looks like Afghanistan backed out because ZC couldn't afford to broadcast the series on TV.

Initially I thought it was the arrogance of ACB, but now I can't really blame them, in present day to say they can't broadcast an international series is quite embarrassing really.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 am
Looks like Afghanistan backed out because ZC couldn't afford to broadcast the series on TV.

Initially I thought it was the arrogance of ACB, but now I can't really blame them, in present day to say they can't broadcast an international series is quite embarrassing really.
Yeah, the Afghans have a large fanbase and expect that a series against an existing full member be televised. Especially since they are sharing costs. The side benefit might be the Afghans might feel Ireland and Scotland will give them better practice especially in UK conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)