UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: UAE & Afghanistan tour of Zimbabwe 2019 : Pre Series Discussion

Post by jaybro »

614AA728-C3CC-4752-A3A0-F22D8F34D1F5.png
614AA728-C3CC-4752-A3A0-F22D8F34D1F5.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 2428 times
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Again hard to believe given the two boards don't see eye to eye. PCB has a habit of picking a fight with rival asian boards.

I'll be damned if this series goes through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think broadcasting a series is not as easy as people are making it sound. Its not cheap. Clearly the benefits of broadcasting the series are less than the costs. If India had said find a million dollars to pay for broadcasting costs ZC would have found that money because you get 4 million back.

Afghanistan are scheduled to come play 1 test 5 ODIs and 3 T20s in August anyway. Add India after the world cup plus the Euro tour, the West Indies touring and the T20 qualifiers. We will be ok. I dont really see the big fuss about all of this. Let them prepare for the World Cup wherever it suits them.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am
I think broadcasting a series is not as easy as people are making it sound. Its not cheap. Clearly the benefits of broadcasting the series are less than the costs. If India had said find a million dollars to pay for broadcasting costs ZC would have found that money because you get 4 million back.
Afghanistan aren't saying its cheap, because if they were, they'd have paid for it themselves since they have paid their way to tour ZIM on previous occaisions. Afghanistan's point of view is

a) ZC are a full member and they knew aproximately how expensive/lucrative this tour was before proposing it, therefore not to broadcast it (a violation of ICC regulations, AFAIK) is a breach of acceptable touring standards
b) ZC should be able to afford it because they are getting a lot of money from the ICC, presumably for cricket related reasons, a major part of which is broadcasting matches
c) to ZC's marginal credit, they offered to live stream it, but Afghanistan Cricket Board have stake-holders and a fan base that they cater to which like any other fanbase demands a proper broadcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

We dont have the money to pay for TV clearly. This is an unscheduled tour which is not part of the FTP. The August tour will be on TV. If Afghanistan wanted the broadcast so bad why didnt they pay for and they keep all the revenue from it? Most of the people who would watch it would be Afghanistan fans anyway.

ZC would have to pay for the regional broadcaster here DSTV to bring all their tech and engineers here from South Africa. DSTV is not licking their lips over a Zim-Afghanistan tour. We don't have millions of fans unlike subcontinent teams. DSTV is probably going to pay less for the rights than what it costs to hire their tech. We are already broke. I understand why they wouldn't want to blow their budget for this.

I know it sounds weird because to people in the subcontinent but cricket isnt that big in Africa where you can get multi million dollar TV deals for a bottom ranked team. They would have to run this series at a loss which I personally dont think is necessary when they are going to have to run another loss in 5 months when the same team has to come for a full tour.

Dont forget India didnt come in the end. So thats a couple of million dollars of revenue they have not seen yet. If ZC were really about their coins they would in fact ask India to come same time as Afghanistan and play a tri-series. Now thats a series that can be sold well in Asia.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Bit off topic but devestated at the news of terror attack on mosques in New Zealand.. At least glad that Bangladesh players are safe. They had a narrow escape bangla boys.

Very sad and extremely depressing this, thoughts and prayers with the ones affected.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 pm
Bit off topic but devestated at the news of terror attack on mosques in New Zealand.. At least glad that Bangladesh players are safe. They had a narrow escape bangla boys.

Very sad and extremely depressing this, thoughts and prayers with the ones affected.
It's shocking and extremely sad.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The August tour was postponed ages ago, it won’t be happening this year.

I still think ZC should be able to at least break even hosting any series, yes as you said interest in Africa isn’t like it is in Asia, but they’re playing an Asian side so the games are ‘sellable’

As I’ve said previously if they can’t do the job let someone else who can

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

A couple of points you’re probably not aware of TapsC

The Afghanistan tour of Ireland last year was televised in Australia (Foxsports)

The Hong Kong T20 was also televised in Australia (Foxsports)

If Ireland can sell their ODI series against Afghanistan to Australia why can’t Zimbabwe?

There is actually a lot of interest in Zimbabwean cricket around the world especially in Asia, selling the games is achievable so the excuse from ZC that it’s too expensive to televise these games is more down to their lack of ability to sell the rights.

ZC also miss chances to make money from ‘clickbait’ They do very little work on social media and have absolutely zero access to the players. They could easily generate some cashflow from releasing articles previewing and reviewing local matches (I’m sure John Ward could write all their articles) ESPNcricinfo & cricbuzz have zero interest in it so really who else is doing it?

By interviewing players and telling their stories it also brings interest and people will be more keen to follow the side and their want to read articles and watch matches if they get to know the players. I’m sure there are many ‘rags to riches’ stories amongst the Zimbabwe squad.

ZC literally sit there and wait for the ICC money and sponsorship money, they’re stuck in the 1990’s, the world is all about marketing, advertising & buying off the net, ZC needs to get on board.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I just think that Afghanistan are forgetting who are their friends and who helped them become the poeerctehy have achieved in an impressive amount of time.

15 years ago these guys were nothing. Let us not forget that. They have ascended at the most unbelievable pace and that is impressive, but they did it with our help, and the last I remember when they played Australia they got belted when Aus put on nearly 400. So they think hey are mad but they are not. My advice is don’t forget your friends.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*