All Time XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: All Time XI

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Boring thread.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Boring thread.
Not brightened up by having to click through and read your contribution...

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

jaybro wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 am
kngow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:03 am

Haha, yes. The first international series I watched was England vs WI before the WT20 2014. The first series I actually devoted time to was India's tour of England. Explains why there's no Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Ponting etc.
Fair enough, how old are you? Are you a Zimbo?

I feel bad for any cricket fan that didn’t see the 2005 Ashes series in England, nothing I’ve seen since has even come remotely close to that series for quality of cricket played and quality of the competition, such fine margins played at such a high standard with the highest stakes
Couldn’t agree more Christ that was the best cricket I’ve seen
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

my all time test xi would be
1.M.Hayden
2.V.Sehwag
3.R.Ponting (c)
4.B.Lara
5.S.Tendulkar
6.J.Kallis
7.A.Gilchrist (wk)
8.S.Warne
9.D.Steyn
10.S.Bond
11.G.Mcgrath

This is simply the best I have seen and was so hard to leave out the younger greats in kholi , smith , Williamson,rabada and Nathan Lyon ( all still have years ahead ) and the older guard in Muralitharen ,langer , streak , Akhtar and Brett Lee. Shane bond only played a quarter of the tests as some of his fellow generation guns but he was the best bowler I have ever seen on his day and he always took it up against the great Aussie team and had great success. the greatest all round player I have ever seen would be Kallis by a mile and I don't think ill ever see anyone close , in his prime could play as a genuine bowler , top 3 bat and a gun slipper he was a freak. I sadly never got to see Sir Garfield sobers play but from what ive heard he's the greatest all round player by a country mile so for me kallis is (allround) the best cricketer ive seen in my life .

my odi Xi

1.R.Sharma
2.B.McCullum(c)
3.V.Kholi
4.AB Devilliers
5.K.Sangakkara (wk)
6.M.Bevan
7.L.Klusener
8.S.Afridi
9.B.Lee
10.G.Mcgrath
11.M.Muralitharen

okay this one was way way way too hard as I love odi cricket and its where my love for the game came from , the bright colours , the white ball , boundaries , world cups , as a kid this is what got me hooked I loved it. as you can see from my selections I'm very biased In my selections from the early 2000 era as I'm only 26 I apologise to the older generations who's had the pleasure of picking players I sadly could not pick on just what stats and people tell me. ive picked this team if it were a modern game with the two spinners and extra batting down the order with express pace then line and length and handy overs from the klusener. it was hard to leave out the likes of Ponting , Lara , sehwag , Hayden , kallis,Watson , Gayle , Tendulkar, chaminda Vaas, warne, ect but this is my personal view and I believe this team even though say a Bevan who I feel was the greatest finisher ever or ( guide you home ) batsman in his prime. McCullums stats might not add up but he is the best attacking captain I have seen and his captaincy got them to a world cup final , he groomed that team from being the beaten to almost the world champs , sensational cricket brain and attitude. Sharma is still playing but has 3 double hundreds (enough said ) kholi is and will be the greatest odi player ever and that is a fact he's a genuine freak .anyway I could go all night this was a lot of fun and its nice to reflect on the privilege ive had in watching these stars of the game .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

kngow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:10 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 am
kngow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:03 am

Haha, yes. The first international series I watched was England vs WI before the WT20 2014. The first series I actually devoted time to was India's tour of England. Explains why there's no Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Ponting etc.
Fair enough, how old are you? Are you a Zimbo?

I feel bad for any cricket fan that didn’t see the 2005 Ashes series in England, nothing I’ve seen since has even come remotely close to that series for quality of cricket played and quality of the competition, such fine margins played at such a high standard with the highest stakes
I'm 14 and from India.
welcome young man ! think I joined this forum when I was about 15 myself with another ( andybligz) account :lol: , think sloandog was the first guy I spoke to !

Googly

Post by Googly »

You have to have Sangakara and Akram in your test line up.
Is this past players? If not you have to have Kohli in both and you have to have Jos Butler. He’s going to win the WC for England. He’s something else. With Archer in their side they’re going to be tough to beat.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A current best ODI side would obliterate the best side of retired players. Cricket is at a whole new extraordinary level. It’s just a different game.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:39 pm
A current best ODI side would obliterate the best side of retired players. Cricket is at a whole new extraordinary level. It’s just a different game.
I’m saying players I’ve watched in their prime for their generations , Kumar was insanely good but who does he come in for ? Can’t drop Ponting , Tendulkar , Lara , kallis or Gilchrist in test cricket as they were all better than him. Also bond , McGrath and Steyn are all better bowlers than Akram

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Just to clarify your XI doesn’t have to be the best players you’ve seen but your all time favourite XI you have seen play on TV or Live.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’d definitely have Kumar ahead of Ponting as a pure batsman and ahead of Gilchrist as a keeper/batsman in test cricket. He was right up there with Sachin and Lara in my view, I wouldn’t have any qualms about picking him ahead of them either, I’ll be shouted down for that comment, but he’s my all time favorite batsman.