"Zim players you've seen live" XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
chappie coventry
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: "Zim players you've seen live" XI

Post by chappie coventry »

Jemisi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:12 am
Chappie we must have been at all the same games. Did you see Carlisle's ton in Sydney? If they ever come back we'll have to have a zcf ticket.
I missed Carlisle's ton at the Sydney test yet to see a zim test match live.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

John, thanks. Have wanted to read your XI for ages!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

chappie coventry wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:55 am
Jemisi wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:12 am
Chappie we must have been at all the same games. Did you see Carlisle's ton in Sydney? If they ever come back we'll have to have a zcf ticket.
I missed Carlisle's ton at the Sydney test yet to see a zim test match live.
I went to the whole thing. The vibe was good. Zim got cheered for everything. Most relaxed and interactive crowd I have ever been in.

jward

!

Post by jward »

I thought I had forgotten somebody - Eddo Brandes! Not as consistent as the other two pacemen, but world-class and devastating at his best. He and Paul Strang could alternate in the team according to the conditions.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Thanks John great insight

Can you give us a run down on who Tony Pithey is?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Ward has a unique perspective because he’s observed or been up close and personal with the teams for 50 years, whereas ZCF tends to be limited to the test era, as I sense the average age of regular forumites are thirties and forties and got on the wave during either the golden era or various tours in their native country.

Although forcing Taibu in the team with Houghton and Andy glove capable is a little quota PC! Fantastic servant in his time but he only averaged mid twenties with the bat. Not with the people being left out.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 am

There is a brief, accurate biography of him on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Pithey. He was the ideal opening batsman with his excellent solid defence, but preferred number three. He had a reputation as a slow scorer, but I did see him play a dazzling innings of (I think) 75 not out in a club match in his final season.

jward

Post by jward »

jward wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 pm
jaybro wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 am

There is a brief, accurate biography of him on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Pithey. He was the ideal opening batsman with his excellent solid defence, but preferred number three. He had a reputation as a slow scorer, but I did see him play a dazzling innings of (I think) 75 not out in a club match in his final season.
Actually I cannot understand why so many batsmen are willing to go in at three but not open. I often opened at club level(not particularly well, but nobody else wanted to), but one match was sent in at three and much preferred opening. I remember restlessly pacing the boundary awaiting my entrance. Opening, you know exactly when you're going in - at three you could be in second ball or wait an age to go in, and you can't relax while you are waiting like even number four and below can.

jward

Post by jward »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 am
perspective because he’s observed or been up close and personal with the teams for 50 years, whereas ZCF tends to be limited to the test era, as I sense the average age of regular forumites are thirties and forties and got on the wave during either the golden era or various tours in their native country.

Although forcing Taibu in the team with Houghton and Andy glove capable is a little quota PC! Fantastic servant in his time but he only averaged mid twenties with the bat. Not with the people being left out.
I put Taibu in simply because we are choosing the best, and I rate him a better keeper than Houghton or Flower.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Cool thread , only Zimbos I’ve seen play live at a ground are Sean Ervine , Murray Goodwin and Hilton Cartwright all playing for Western Australia
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!