Favourites to win the CWC 2018

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
sam_ahm

Re: Favourites to win the CWC 2018

Post by sam_ahm »

I will put England as firm favorites. I don't want them to win, but I think they will.

Obviously I'd love to see us, meaning India, win or otherwise South Africa... I love the likes of Hash, Steyn, Faf, Immi, Rabada... Will be great to see them win.

I like Bangladesh, will be good if they can push other teams and win some games but I still feel winning the entire thing will be difficult for Bangla boys as of now, reason I say this is because they are a spin heavy team and the batting is mercurial. Other than Tamim and Mushfiqur, all other batters, Shakib included, are vulnerable.

I beg to differ on Kriterion's views on Pakistan, they may not be looking good atm, but you never know with them, they are so mercurial they can surprise you big time, they have a very good record in England. Bowling is still very good, if only their batters can come good.

My realistic order of favorites will be:

1) England
2) India
3) South Africa
4) New Zealand
5) Pakistan
6) Australia
7) Bangladesh
8) Windies
9) Afghanistan
10) Sri Lanka

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:49 pm

I like Bangladesh, will be good if they can push other teams and win some games but I still feel winning the entire thing will be difficult for Bangla boys as of now, reason I say this is because they are a spin heavy team and the batting is mercurial. Other than Tamim and Mushfiqur, all other batters, Shakib included, are vulnerable.

The Bangladeshi top order is fairly strong. Shakib may be "vulnerable" but he's almost as big a match winner as Tamim and Mushfiq with the bat. And then there is Mahmudullah. They may not have fabulous averages, but their value is a lot more than the numbers would indicate. Key point being the virtual knock out match vs NZ at the Champions Trophy. Mahmudullah and Shakib smashed Boult and Southee and the NZ attack.

The weakness for Bangladesh is that we don't have a batting lineup capable of scoring 350+ totals. But on a flat track - and 80-90% of WC matches if not all of them will be played on flat tracks - we have the lineup to consistently score 300 against any attack batting first or second. So our success will hinge on how often we can restrict teams to under 300. Mustafiz will be critical with his breakthrough wickets and death bowling. Miraz's tight off spin will be crucial, especially against teams with lots of left handed batsman. Shakib is Shakib, so thats 30 overs covered. The other 20 overs will decide games for us. Hopefully the likes of Abu Hider, Saifuddin, and perhaps this new 17 year old kid, Nayeem can help solve that problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:33 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:49 pm

The Bangladeshi top order is fairly strong. Shakib may be "vulnerable" but he's almost as big a match winner as Tamim and Mushfiq with the bat. And then there is Mahmudullah. They may not have fabulous averages, but their value is a lot more than the numbers would indicate. Key point being the virtual knock out match vs NZ at the Champions Trophy. Mahmudullah and Shakib smashed Boult and Southee and the NZ attack.

The weakness for Bangladesh is that we don't have a batting lineup capable of scoring 350+ totals. But on a flat track - and 80-90% of WC matches if not all of them will be played on flat tracks - we have the lineup to consistently score 300 against any attack batting first or second. So our success will hinge on how often we can restrict teams to under 300. Mustafiz will be critical with his breakthrough wickets and death bowling. Miraz's tight off spin will be crucial, especially against teams with lots of left handed batsman. Shakib is Shakib, so thats 30 overs covered. The other 20 overs will decide games for us. Hopefully the likes of Abu Hider, Saifuddin, and perhaps this new 17 year old kid, Nayeem can help solve that problem.

Surely I agree that Bangladesh are stronger than ever before. Lets see how they go, I hope they can keep their nerve in those big games... They need to be mentally strong as well.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 am
Pakistan are massively over rated here. 3rd best ODI team in Asia are not winning the WC next year. If they hit form, they might challenge for a semi-final spot, but it will be tough.
Think its time to bump this again. True England at home are a daunting task for anyone, but they were also beaten (whitewashed?) by Australia in the UAE sans Smith and Warner. England today chased 360 inside 45 overs losing just 4 wickets.

I will attempt to cover my ass by saying the World Cup hasn't started yet and it is conceivable that team PAK could turn things around like the 2017 champions trophy, but there is CURRENTLY SCANT evidence (if any) to hype up Pakistan's current chance's or pace attack. Out of the pace group, Shaheen is the only one who looks a decent long term prospect. Everyone else (Junaid, Hasan, express Hasnain, Amir) will merely be the equivalent of an Umar Gul ie can win you a handful of matches over a 10 year span, but will be mediocre 95% of the time. Wahab Riaz is the best case study. No shortage of pace or aggression, decent height, etc...the typical Pakistani pace bowler. When I first saw him, he looked an exciting prospect. But in 10 years, what did he end up doing? One spell vs Shane Watson and another spell vs India where he brought Pakistan into the match (PAK lost both games in the end I think).

I think Shaheen Shah Afridi will be the exception. For some reason, I really like the kid. Would love to see him excell at the World Cup (except against Bangladesh). Can't stand Amir or Hasan, and don't rate either of them even if I could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I rate Hasan I won't lie, but he doesn't really move the ball a great deal.

Shaheen Afridi and Mohammed Shinwari are indeed two exciting prospects for Pakistan and I really hope they kick on.