Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Post by Robbo »

Nick Welch made 5 for Loughborough MCCU, who took an unexpected 1 run lead in their game against Kent. He opened and was out for 5, just before the close. He didn't get a chance to bat in the 2nd innings as rain halted Kents 2nd innings and that was that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah Kent showed the wicket on Twitter. Did the hard yards and then got a driveable back foot shot off some guy bowling bizarre fast leggies it looked like, and inside edged it. That’s his issue, just inconsistent, dynamic but a bit inconsistent. He just needs to rein it in a bit and the big innings will come. Opening in April is like Russian roulette. The problem is he needs to establish himself as an opener because that’s what the teams always look for, but his style of play in red ball is best suited to 4/5. In white ball he should probably be at 3/4 and in T20 he’s fantastic up front. Problem is that’s where the established guys bat. He’s a bit fucked unless he reels off a string of hundreds basically. His big complaint is being unable to practice at the level he needs to play at. He’s basically done amazingly well considering he’s faced club bowlers once a week. It should be better at Loughborough and the consistency should come. A wasted talent unless he pulls a rabbit out the hat this season.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

He’s in an excellent cricket environment at Loughborough , almost as good as a county set up. The bowler who dismissed him was Darren Stevens, a proper county veteran if ever there was one. He would have been brisk 20 years ago, but he’s over 40 now.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Limited opportunities for both Welch & Byrom this season, they're still young but it would be interesting to see what they'd do if they were offered central contracts from ZC?? Guys like Brad Evans are also on the fringes of County cricket and maybe tempted to a return if they're offered Central Contracts.

Is it time Zimbabwe said goodbye to the likes of Hamilton, Ervine, Mpofu etc and gave these guys the chance?? Obviously there's a good chance they say no, but a Central Contract might tempt them.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:29 pm
Limited opportunities for both Welch & Byrom this season, they're still young but it would be interesting to see what they'd do if they were offered central contracts from ZC?? Guys like Brad Evans are also on the fringes of County cricket and maybe tempted to a return if they're offered Central Contracts.

Is it time Zimbabwe said goodbye to the likes of Hamilton, Ervine, Mpofu etc and gave these guys the chance?? Obviously there's a good chance they say no, but a Central Contract might tempt them.
In an ideal world it would be nice wouldn't it, but Welch is at Uni, Byrom has a contract and I think Evans is also at Uni. ZC isn't worth giving all of that up for, as we know. Maybe in a couple of years there could be a chance but I doubt it

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

If we had half a brain we would
Already have a plan to snatch them , add in Murray and there’s 4 very handy players straight away . Makes to
Much sense to have good players in a team though.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

An admin with any sort of savvy would devise a plan that could be a win win for both Zimbabwe and the kids in question. I have a feeling Streak was thinking along the lines I am below.

Zimbabwe aren’t playing much cricket, so surely there can be an agreement in place where these kids roam to play where they see fit but commit internationally and at least to a handful of Logan cup games.

If they could pursue county dreams but play their internationals for Zim as opposed to English ambitions, I think the players would go for this. But there’s too much red tape to that there seems. Ideally they would make their names on the global t20 circuit with all the second rate (and hopefully the premium) comps and you could have a handy career.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm
An admin with any sort of savvy would devise a plan that could be a win win for both Zimbabwe and the kids in question. I have a feeling Streak was thinking along the lines I am below.

Zimbabwe aren’t playing much cricket, so surely there can be an agreement in place where these kids roam to play where they see fit but commit internationally and at least to a handful of Logan cup games.

If they could pursue county dreams but play their internationals for Zim as opposed to English ambitions, I think the players would go for this. But there’s too much red tape to that there seems. Ideally they would make their names on the global t20 circuit with all the second rate (and hopefully the premium) comps and you could have a handy career.
Yeh great plan but it would mostly be white kids getting a county gig ect and then the race card would
Come out as usual. Something they should really look at in order to keep local talent , I’m sure Eugene has gone on before about this and comparing it to football players across the globe. The icc could get involved and you would have a much more attractive international game .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Yeh great plan but it would mostly be white kids getting a county gig ect and then the race card would
Come out as usual. Something they should really look at in order to keep local talent , I’m sure Eugene has gone on before about this and comparing it to football players across the globe. The icc could get involved and you would have a much more attractive international game .
I think it’s more to do with England itself.

They have the advantage and the curse of being the only top line competition to play over the March to August period and this means every cricketer is able to play in that Comp, or try their hand at it without really affecting their native teams positions.
Whats more, you also have the usual gust of Southern Africans,Pakistanis and Indians who flee their country at first chance to live in England (and Oz). England themselves don’t really want the horde of foreigners so they restrict their overseas slots, and then this pushes the really dedicated players to go through the Kolpak loophole, which has the consequence of denouncing their native citizenship in cricket terms, which I hope gets stopped with Brexit.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

On that note, I really hate how Pakistani players I n particular absolutely flood the developing nations setup. You look at any minor European nation, the USA, Canada, and it’s all Pakistani restaurant workers and IT professionals and such.

I know it sounds racist on one hand, but the problem is they have a noxious weed affect on these countries that restricts born and bred euros/North Americans from getting involved in the game, which is what is needed to genuinely grow it. Comps in these countries are almost exclusively Pakis with team names like ‘Islamic Tigers 11’ and they all speak Urdu to each other and it has an exclusion effect and it is no fun at all. I know Americans who have wanted to try playing but have replied with ‘I don’t speak Urdu’ so they never pick up the bat and ball. Would be the same everywhere.
I recently filled in with a German league game and was the only white guy there speaking a non subcontinental language and I can tell you first hand, it was no fun at all.

I don’t know the answer to the problem though, they have every right to want to play and while they kill growth, they do keep cricket bubbling below the surface through participation.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.