[ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 22

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

[ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Has Zimbabwe now officially reached the level of Kenya?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Poll ] Has Zimbabwe fallen to Kenya levels?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It will if nothing significantly changes after the next World Cup campaign, as the players that are papering over the cracks, Taylor, Raza, Jarvis, etc retire.

Think of Zimbabwe’s A team, guys 30 and under, and tell me with a straight face they are capable of beating the top associates, forget test teams.

The only way out I see is throwing good money at the Byrom and Welches.
Money that they may not be worth but, it is that or death.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

They are where Kenya was at around 2007-2008. Kenya have fallen further into the abyss since then. They weren't even at the WCQ.

Zimbabwe won't fall that far, but they might fall to the level of a Canada or UAE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Once we lose the core group of players listed above we are fucked . Plain and simple
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Andybligzz wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 am
Once we lose the core group of players listed above we are fucked . Plain and simple
Yea there's nobody to come in, and we will be well and truly screwed

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm
It will if nothing significantly changes after the next World Cup campaign, as the players that are papering over the cracks, Taylor, Raza, Jarvis, etc retire.

Think of Zimbabwe’s A team, guys 30 and under, and tell me with a straight face they are capable of beating the top associates, forget test teams.

I think, realistically, we're at the end of the road. Welch and company aren't ever coming back. A true Zim A team wouldn't beat anyone, you're right.

When I say "realistically", I mean of course there's things that could be done to make the situation better - but we all know those things won't happen; and on the rare occasion that they do happen then the people effecting positive change will be lost to the system due to the incompetence of those above.

Time to get some 17/18 year olds in the team and leave them there while there's still some decent senior players around to guide them.

The problem isn't that we can't find the next Flower or even the next Taylor, it's that we can't find the next Masakadza or Taibu.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:53 pm

I think, realistically, we're at the end of the road. Welch and company aren't ever coming back. A true Zim A team wouldn't beat anyone, you're right.

When I say "realistically", I mean of course there's things that could be done to make the situation better - but we all know those things won't happen; and on the rare occasion that they do happen then the people effecting positive change will be lost to the system due to the incompetence of those above.

Time to get some 17/18 year olds in the team and leave them there while there's still some decent senior players around to guide them.

The problem isn't that we can't find the next Flower or even the next Taylor, it's that we can't find the next Masakadza or Taibu.
Regarding the boys. It is my educated opinion that there is just enough homesickness with those guys that if you threw a decent chunk of money at them, more than the average county wage, they will be back. ZC will need to throw the cash and make it worth it though.

You are dead right in your last sentence. We get excited about Burl and Musakanda, but they have both literally done nothing at international level. Gavin Ewing, from number 9 in the order did better than them at this sytage of his career 17 years ago.
From what I have gathered, both from observation and Googlys posts,is the junior setup is rotten from the core. It’s just dissipated and fizzled out in Zimbabwe. The kids who are producing are remnants of the colonial era (for lack of a better description) who employ coaches from another era to develop the talent with a view to going overseas.
No different from an American who loves Aussie rules footy who makes a genuine effort to watch online. The exception to the rule.

You can see it. Out last premium junior intake was the mid 00s. The late 00s has decent one offs like Jarvis and Chatara, but where are the kids of the last 5 years?
Do they even play in Zimbabwe ?
Whatever magical formula there used to be that made zim cricketers much better per capita than other countries has been dismantled.
There is like 500 cricketers in the country. 500 can only produce so much first class, let alone world class talent. It’s evened out now. And with the decaying foundation, it will erode below equity levels.
It’s all maths.
Like I said, throw cheese at the Welches and Byron’s and buy time for a miracle. Zimdoggy.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yeah I think we are truly at the end of the road. Even if Byrom and Welch came back that wouldn't be enough. You need like 10-15 of those guys to truly have international-calibre depth. The biggest obstacle to turning things around is that not only is ZC a disaster, the country is a basketcase. Truly our best hope is some change in ICC and immigration rules which allows players to ply their trade overseas but still represent their homeland. Asking any seriously talented international cricketer to make a living just playing for Zimbabwe and in ZImbabwe is not realistic any more.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think there’s still enough good players who could play for Zimbabwe that could keep them at a competitive level, whether not they can get them back is the question.

The SRC have suspended the board in brought in a good looking interim board IMO, as long as the ICC doesn’t suspend Zimbabwe I think finally there might be some Hope things could turn around.

As Googly has been saying for years cricket has been dying slowly in Zimbabwe and losing players at a regular rate as well, the cupboard is bare atm but hopefully things are ready to change.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Whenever I post a job online, there’s always a bunch of Zimbabweans applying from inside Zimbabwe. Completely ignorant of the tough visa laws.
Every man and his dog wants out.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.